Kim in 2018
|Born||September 5, 1970|
Busan, South Korea
|Alma mater||Dongguk University|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Hye-su|
Kim Hye-soo (Hangul: 김혜수; born September 5, 1970) is a South Korean actress. She is best known for her roles in the films Tazza: The High Rollers (2006), The Thieves (2012), Coin Locker Girl (2015), and Familyhood (2016), as well as the television series Signal (2016).
Kim Hye-soo debuted in the 1986 film Ggambo when she was a first year high school student. Over two decades she amassed a sizeable filmography of leading and supporting roles, notably in the TV dramas Did We Really Love? with Bae Yong-joon and Revenge and Passion with Ahn Jae-wook, as well as the films First Love (1993) and Tie a Yellow Ribbon (1998).
But it was when she reinvented her image as a glamorous and confident femme fatale in films Hypnotized (2004), The Red Shoes (2005) and Tazza: The High Rollers (2006) that she gained acting recognition and entered the Korean film industry A-list. Various film roles followed, such as a housewife who secretly dates a college student in A Good Day to Have an Affair; an unaffected aunt in Shim’s Family; a prostitute in Eleventh Mom and a bar singer in Modern Boy (2008). She considers her collaboration with Han Suk-kyu in 2010's Villain and Widow as one of the highlights of her acting career.
A frequent host of film awards ceremonies and TV variety shows, Kim was signed on as the host of MBC current affairs show W. The production team said that in a bid to make changes in the program as it marked its fifth anniversary, they found that Kim was interested in environmental and other global issues and an avid watcher of documentaries about them. W with Kim Hye-soo premiered in July 2010, but was cancelled in October 2010, with Kim criticizing the network's decision.
She reunited with Tazza director Choi Dong-hoon in The Thieves. Set among the casinos of Macau, the star-studded heist film became the all-time second highest grosser in Korean cinema history. This was followed with a supporting role in Han Jae-rim's historical film The Face Reader.
Kim next starred in Coin Locker Girl (also known as Chinatown) in 2015, a rare female-driven noir film. She said she didn't mind looking unattractive for her role as a ruthless crime boss, with makeup artists adding age spots to her face, gray to her hair, and flab to her stomach and hips with prostheses. Kim said it was "mentally agonizing" deciding whether to accept the role, but once she did, she felt "a surge of excitement" every time she stepped onto the set, and considered the film "a new challenge that makes my heart race and scares me at the same time."
Kim made her drama comeback in 2016 with tvN's Signal, which was critically and commercially successful. She won Best Actress at the 52nd Paeksang Arts Awards and the tvN10 Awards for her performance.
Kim is known for her ability to speak in five languages: Korean, English, Spanish, Japanese and Chinese.
Kim and character actor Yoo Hae-jin first met in 2001 after shooting the film Kick the Moon and became close in 2006 after appearing together in Tazza: The High Rollers. Rumors of the two dating surfaced starting 2008 although both continuously denied any romantic involvement until early 2010 when paparazzi photographs of the two were released, and the couple officially confirmed their relationship. Kim and Yoo broke up in 2011.
Kim has a Theater and Film degree from Dongguk University and a master's degree in journalism and mass communications from Sungkyunkwan University; she also taught performing arts at Sungkyunkwan University as an adjunct professor in 2001. In 2013 Kim admitted to having plagiarized her master′s thesis "A Study on Actor Communication," with parts copied verbatim from at least four different books. She apologised for her actions, and said she was willing to forfeit her master's degree.
|Year||English title||Korean title||Role|
|My Daughter Saved from the Mire, Part II||수렁에서 건진 내 딸 2|
|1988||Grown-ups Just Don't Understand||어른들은 몰라요|
|That Last Winter||그 마지막 겨울||Young-ae|
|1991||Lost Love||잃어버린 너|
|1993||First Love||첫사랑||Park Young-shin|
|1994||I Wish for What is Forbidden||나는 소망한다 내게 금지된 것을|
|Life and Death of the Hollywood Kid||헐리우드 키드의 생애|
|The Eternal Empire||영원한 제국|
|Bitter and Sweet||남자는 괴로워|
|Mister Condom||미스터 콘돔|
|1998||Too Tired to Die||투 타이어드 투 다이||Anouk|
|Tie a Yellow Ribbon||찜|
|1999||Doctor K||닥터 K||Dr. Pyo Ji-soo|
|2001||Kick the Moon||신라의 달밤||Min Ju-ran|
|2002||Three (segment "Memories")||쓰리||Wife|
|YMCA Baseball Team||YMCA 야구단||Min Jong-rim|
|2005||The Red Shoes||분홍신||Sun-jae|
|2006||Tazza: The High Rollers||타짜||Madam Jeong|
|2007||A Good Day to Have an Affair||바람 피기 좋은 날||Dew|
|Skeletons in the Closet||좋지 아니한가||Mi-kyung|
|Eleventh Mom||열한번째 엄마||Woman|
|2008||Modern Boy||모던보이||Jo Nan-sil|
|2010||Villain and Widow||이층의 악당||Hyun-joo|
|2013||The Face Reader||관상||Yeon-hong|
|2015||Coin Locker Girl||차이나타운||Ma Woo-hee ("Mother")|
|2017||A Special Lady||미옥||Na Hyun-jung|
|2018||Default||국가부도의 날||Han Shi-hyeon|
|Year||English title||Korean title||Role||Network|
|1988||Sun Shim-yi||순심이||Sun Shim-yi||KBS|
|1990||Fun World||재미있는 세상||Seo Byung-sook||MBC|
|1991||Rosy Life||장미빛 인생||Chae Jeong-seo|
|1994||Song of a Blind Bird||눈먼 새의 노래||Seok Kyung|
|Tokkaebiga Ganda||도깨비가 간다||SBS|
|1995||Love Pro, Marriage Amateur||사랑과 결혼||Seo Ye-hee|
|The Basics of Romance||연애의 기초||Il-young|
|Scent of Apple Blossoms||사과꽃 향기||Seo Kyung-joo||MBC|
|1997||Revenge and Passion||복수혈전||Jung Mi-kyung|
|1999||Did We Really Love?||우리가 정말 사랑했을까||Lee Shin-young|
|2000||Golden Era||황금시대||Kim/Choi Hee-kyung|
|2002||Jang Hee-bin||장희빈||Hui-bin Jang||KBS2|
|2005||Han River Ballad||한강수타령||Yoon Ga-young||MBC|
|2010||Home Sweet Home||즐거운 나의 집||Kim Jin-seo||MBC|
|2011||Cool Guys, Hot Ramen||꽃미남 라면가게||tarot fortuneteller (cameo, episode 1)||tvN|
|2013||The Queen of Office||직장의 신||Miss Kim / Kim Jeom-seon||KBS2|
|2017||Dr. Romantic||낭만닥터 김사부||Lee Young-jo (cameo, episodes 20 & 21 (prequel)) ||SBS|
|2008||"Why Don't You Do Right?"||Track from Modern Boy OST|
|"Blues of Colors"|
|"개여울" (Japanese Ver.)|
|2013||"Love is"||Track from The Queen of Office OST|
Awards and nominations
|1987||23rd Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actress (Film)||Ggambo||Won|
|1988||KBS Drama Awards||Best New Actress||Sun Shim-yi||Won|
|1991||27th Baeksang Arts Awards||Most Popular Actress (TV)||Fun World||Won|
|1993||31st Grand Bell Awards||Best Actress||First Love||Nominated|
|14th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Won|
|1995||31st Baeksang Arts Awards||Most Popular Actress (Film)||The Eternal Empire||Won|
|16th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best Actress||Dr. Bong||Won|
|MBC Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress||Love and Marriage||Won|
|1996||32nd Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actress (TV)||Oxtail Soup||Won|
|34th Grand Bell Awards||Best Actress||Dr. Bong||Nominated|
|MBC Drama Awards||Grand Prize (Daesang)||Partner||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actress||Nominated|
|1999||12th Grimae Awards||Best Actress||Kuk-hee||Won|
|MBC Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress||Won|
|2003||KBS Drama Awards||Jang Hee-bin||Nominated|
|Grand Prize (Daesang)||Won|
|2004||12th Chunsa Film Art Awards||Best Actress||Hypnotized||Won|
|25th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Nominated|
|3rd Korean Film Awards||Nominated|
|MBC Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress||Han River Ballad||Won|
|2005||41st Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actress (Film)||Hypnotized||Won|
|42nd Grand Bell Awards||Best Actress||Won|
|4th Korean Film Awards||The Red Shoes||Nominated|
|Dong-A TV Fashion Beauty Awards||Fashion Icon Award||N/A||Won|
|2006||2nd University Film Festival of Korea||Best Actress||Tazza: The High Rollers||Won|
|Pyeongtaek Film Festival||New Currents Best Actress||Won|
|14th Chunsa Film Art Awards||Popularity Award||Won|
|43rd Grand Bell Awards||The Red Shoes||Nominated|
|Cine 21 Awards||Tazza: The High Rollers||Won|
|27th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Won|
|Popular Star Award||Won|
|23rd Korea Best Dresser Swan Awards||Best Dressed, Movie Actress category||N/A||Won|
|2007||4th Max Movie Awards||Best Actress||Tazza: The High Rollers||Nominated|
|1st Asian Film Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|43rd Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actress (Film)||Nominated|
|Newport Beach Film Festival||Best Actress||Won|
|Korea Movie Star Awards||Won|
|44th Grand Bell Awards||Nominated|
|6th Korean Film Awards||Nominated|
|8th Korea Visual Arts Festival||Photogenic Award||Won|
|2008||2nd Asian Film Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Skeletons in the Closet||Nominated|
|2009||2nd Style Icon Awards||Icon of the Year||N/A||Won|
|Best TV Actress||Style||Won|
|SBS Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress||Nominated|
|Top 10 Stars||Won|
|2011||48th Grand Bell Awards||Best Actress||Villain and Widow||Nominated|
|32nd Blue Dragon Film Awards||Nominated|
|Popular Star Award||Won|
|2012||20th Korean Culture and Entertainment Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress in Film||The Thieves||Won|
|2013||7th Asian Film Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
|8th Mnet 20's Choice Awards||20's Drama Star - Female||The Queen of Office||Nominated|
|34th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best Supporting Actress||The Face Reader||Nominated|
|6th Korea Drama Awards||Grand Prize (Daesang)||The Queen of Office||Nominated|
|2nd APAN Star Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress||Nominated|
|21st Korean Culture and Entertainment Awards||Grand Prize (Daesang) in Drama||Won|
|KBS Drama Awards||Grand Prize (Daesang)||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actress||Nominated|
|Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries||Nominated|
|Best Couple Award with Oh Ji-ho||Won|
|2014||9th Max Movie Awards||Best Actress||The Face Reader||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
|50th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actress (TV)||The Queen of Office||Nominated|
|2015||10th APN Awards||Recipient||Coin Locker Girl||Won|
|35th Golden Cinema Festival||Best Actress||Won|
|24th Buil Film Awards||Nominated|
|35th Korean Association of Film Critics Awards||Won|
|52nd Grand Bell Awards||Nominated|
|36th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Nominated|
|2nd Korean Film Producers Association Awards||Won|
|2016||11th Max Movie Awards||Nominated|
|10th Asian Film Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|21st Chunsa Film Art Awards||Best Actress||Won|
|52nd Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actress (Film)||Nominated|
|Best Actress (TV)||Signal||Won|
|5th APAN Star Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries||Nominated|
|25th Buil Film Awards||Best Actress||Familyhood||Nominated|
|1st Asia Artist Awards||Grand Prize (Daesang)||Nominated|
|37th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best Actress||Familyhood||Nominated|
|2017||53rd Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actress (Film)||Nominated|
|2018||52nd Taxpayers' Day||Presidential Commendation||N/A||Won|
|2019||10th KOFRA Film Awards||Jury Award||N/A||Won|
- "Kim Hye-soo becomes family with Song Kang-ho..." Daum. 31 May 2011.
- "A Star on TV, Her Movie Legacy Lags". Korea JoongAng Daily. March 21, 2001.
- "Kim Hye-soo Once Doubted Her Talents, But No More". The Chosun Ilbo. February 2, 2007.
- "'Hypnotized' uncovers vulnerabilities in love". The Korea Herald. 5 August 2004.
- "K-FILM REVIEWS: 분홍신 (The Red Shoes)". Twitch Film. 10 November 2005.
- "Horror Film `Red Shoes' Looks at Human Desires". The Korea Times. 28 June 2005.
- "Kim Hye-soo's sex appeal beams in comedy film". The Korea Herald. 22 January 2007.
- "No Rest for Kim Hye-soo After Blue Dragon Award". The Chosun Ilbo. 23 January 2007.
- "Smart actress matures as a big star". Korea JoongAng Daily. 23 February 2007.
- "Kim Hye-soo is Eleventh Mom". Donga. 20 November 2007.
- "KIM Hye-soo transforms Modern Boy PARK Hae-il". Korean Film Biz Zone. 1 February 2008.
- Choi Ji-eun (24 November 2010). "PREVIEW: Film Villain and Widow". 10Asia.
- Lee, Ji-hye (7 January 2011). "Actress Kim Hye-soo's movie picks". 10Asia.
- Oh, Jean (27 July 2009). "Fighters, fashionistas spice up small screen". The Korea Herald.
- "Kim Hye-soo Returns with Fashion-Themed TV Soap". The Chosun Ilbo. 8 August 2009.
- Han, Sang-hee (3 August 2009). "Supporting Roles Stealing Spotlight". The Korea Times.
- Han, Sang-hee (16 September 2009). "Experienced Actors Stealing Spotlight". The Korea Times.
- Lee, Seung-han (22 October 2010). "Kim Hye-soo will "not feel inch of regret" over Home Sweet Home". 10Asia.
- "Kim Hye-soo met with a reporter on Thursday (Nov. 11) and shared her thoughts on the filming site of Home Sweet Home in Yangjoo-si, Gyeonggi-do". MBC Global Media. 24 November 2010.
- Oh, Jean (19 October 2010) "Kim Hye-soo takes on Ko Hyeon-jeong". The Korea Herald.
- "Actress Kim Hye-soo will host W". MBC Global Media. 5 July 2010.
- "Kim Hye-soo to Host Global Affairs Program". The Chosun Ilbo. 7 July 2010.
- Cho, Jae-eun (13 June 2012). "The Thieves all-star cast set to steal show". Korea JoongAng Daily. Archived from the original on 30 November 2012.
- Lee, Claire (23 July 2012). "Kim Hye-soo 'steals' her scenes". The Korea Herald.
- "A-Listers Vie for Screen Time in Heist Movie 'The Thieves'". The Chosun Ilbo. 24 July 2012.
- "Director and Stars Gather for THE FACE READER Press Conference". Korean Film Biz Zone. 15 August 2013.
- Park, Eun-jee (26 February 2013). "Kim Hye-soo to play career woman". Korea JoongAng Daily. Archived from the original on 11 April 2013.
- "Kim Hye-soo's Latest Soap 'a Microcosm of Society'". The Chosun Ilbo. 1 June 2013.
- Jin, Eun-soo (24 April 2015). "Noir film Coin Locker Girl puts women in lead". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- "Kim Hye-soo Excited to Take on New Challenge". The Chosun Ilbo. 25 April 2015.
- Lee, So-eun (7 May 2015). "Kim takes on tough image for Coin". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- "Kim Hye-soo joins star-studded 'Signal'". The Korea Herald. 21 September 2015.
- "수지, 제52회 백상예술대상 MC…신동엽과 호흡" (in Korean). Chosun News. 23 May 2016. Archived from the original on 24 May 2016.
- Conran, Pierce (13 May 2015). "KIM Hye-soo Selects FAMILY PLAN as Next Project". Korean Film Biz Zone.
- "KIM Hye-soo, LEE Sun-kyun Team up for PRECIOUS WOMAN". Korean Film Biz Zone. 21 September 2015.
- "KIM Hye-soo Suits Up for NATIONAL BANKRUPTCY DAY". Korean Film Biz Zone. 3 August 2017.
- "HWANG Jung-min and KIM Hye-soo Suit Up for RETURN". Korean Film Biz Zone. 26 July 2018.
- "Kim Hye Soo Revealed to Be Able to Speak Five Languages". Soompi. March 14, 2016. Retrieved November 26, 2016.
- "Seoul Open Art Fair to Feature Celebrity Artworks". The Chosun Ilbo. 15 April 2009.
- Garcia, Cathy Rose A. (15 April 2009). "Actress Kim Hye-soo Unveils Painting". The Korea Times.
- "Actress Kim Hye-soo Sells Artwork at SOAF". KBS Global. 22 April 2009.
- 김혜수에게 유해진은?…측근 "혜수에게 가장 완벽한 남자". Sportsseoul (in Korean). 1 January 2010. Archived from the original on 2 February 2013.
- 김혜수·유해진, 2010 첫 스타커플…"2년간 비밀 데이트" (종합). Sportsseoul (in Korean). 1 January 2010. Archived from the original on 3 February 2013.
- Park, Sun-young (4 January 2010). "Kim Hye-soo, Yoo Hae-jin are officially out as a couple". Korea JoongAng Daily. Archived from the original on 27 January 2013.
- "Kim Hye-soo Dating Yu Hae-jin; No Marriage Plan Yet". The Korea Times. 4 January 2010.
- Kim, Jessica (4 January 2010). "Kim Hye-soo admits to dating Yu Hae-jin". 10Asia.
- "Kim Hye-soo and Yu Hae-jin Confirm Relationship". The Chosun Ilbo. 5 January 2010.
- "Kim Hye-soo and Yu Hae-jin’s Romantic Relationship Confirmed". KBS Global. 5 January 2010.
- Kim, Jessica (4 April 2011). "Kim Hye-soo, Yu Hae-jin break off relationship". 10Asia.
- "Beauty and the Beast Call It Quits". The Chosun Ilbo. 5 April 2011.
- "Kim and Yoo break it off after 3-year relationship". Korea JoongAng Daily. 6 April 2011. Archived from the original on 27 January 2013.
- Jeon, Su-mi (23 March 2013). "Kim Hye Soo Apologizes for Plagiarising Her Master′s Thesis". enewsWorld.
- "Actress Kim Hye-soo Sorry for MA Plagiarism". The Chosun Ilbo. 25 March 2013.
- "Kim Hye-soo to Forfeit MA Due to Plagiarism". The Chosun Ilbo. 26 March 2013.
- "TV Dramas - Actresses Line up for Award Ceremony Takeover". The Chosun Ilbo. 29 December 2003.
- Choi, Eun-hwa (31 October 2011). "Kim Hye Soo Cameos on Flower Boy Ramen Shop". enewsWorld.
- Choi, R. (11 January 2017). "Kim Hye Soo To Make Special Appearance In Prequel Episode Of "Romantic Doctor Kim"". Soompi.
- "When I Turned Nine unexpected winner of Chunsa Film Art Awards". Korean Film Biz Zone. 25 November 2004.
- "Kim Hye-soo is as Radiant as Ever". The Korea Times. 12 July 2005.
- ""Marathon" sweeps South Korea's most prestigious film awards". Korean Film Biz Zone. 9 July 2005.
- D'Sa, Nigel (21 December 2006). "BONG's Host Takes Top Prize at Blue Dragon". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 22 August 2015.
- "WAITRESS WINS AT NEWPORT BEACH FILM FESTIVAL". Fox Searchlight Pictures. 8 May 2007.
- Choi, Ji-eun (13 November 2009). "Style Icon Awards shines 2009 with edginess". 10Asia.
- Ko Jae-wan (4 January 2010). "Jang Seo-hee wins grand prize at SBS Drama Awards". 10Asia. Retrieved 2014-07-23.
- "'The Unjust' Wins Top Honors at Blue Dragon Film Awards". enewsWorld. 26 November 2011. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016.
- Lee, Cory (2 January 2014). "Kim Hye-soo Reclaims Glory, Good Doctor, Secret Love Win Big at the 2013 KBS Drama Awards". TenAsia. Archived from the original on 28 March 2014. Retrieved 2014-01-05.
- Asia-Pacific Producers Network
- Won, Ho-jung (3 July 2015). "Kim Hye-soo, Ahn Sung-ki, JK Youn to receive Asia-Pacific film awards". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2015-07-08.
- Ha, Sung-tae (21 July 2015). "Actor AHN Sung-Ki, Actress KIM Hye-Soo and Director JK YOUN picked up APN Prizes". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 2015-07-21.
- "Kim Hye-soo and Sul Kyung-gu to be awarded the Best Actress and Actor". Segye. 20 September 2015.
- "Kim Hye-soo, Jung Jae-young Shine at Film Critics' Awards". The Chosun Ilbo. 17 November 2015. Retrieved 2015-11-23.
- "ASSASSINATION Tops 2nd Korean Film Producers Association Awards". Korean Film Biz Zone. 16 December 2015.
- "Kim Hye-soo takes home the Best Actress Award". Newsen. 5 April 2016.
- "Director Lee takes top Baeksang honor". Korea JoongAng Daily. 6 June 2016.
- "tvN10 Awards' full list of winners". Kpop Herald. 10 October 2016.
- "Kim Hye-soo, Ha Jung-woo Honored as Faithful Taxpayers". The Chosun Ilbo. 6 March 2018.
- "'올해의 영화상' 이성민X한지민, 남녀주연상..작품상 '공작'[종합]". Osen (in Korean). 30 January 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kim Hye-soo.|