|Born||September 22, 1989|
Incheon, South Korea
|Revised Romanization||Gim Hyo-yeon|
Kim Hyo-yeon (born September 22, 1989), referred to as Hyoyeon or DJ HYO, is a South Korean singer, dancer, DJ, and television personality. She debuted as a member of the girl group Girls' Generation (and later its subgroup Girls' Generation-Oh!GG) in August 2007, which went on to become one of the best-selling artists in South Korea and one of South Korea's most popular girl groups worldwide. Since 2016, she has also released singles as a solo artist.
Hyoyeon was born in Incheon, South Korea on September 22, 1989. She grew up with her parents and her younger brother, Kim Min-gu. Hyoyeon's formal dance training started in elementary school. At her neighborhood's small hip-hop school, she learned hip hop, jazz and Latin dance. In 1999, she enrolled in Winners Dance School, a famous dance school in South Korea specializing in popping, locking, animation and various other hip-hop styles. At the school she met Miss A's Min, with whom she formed the dance team Little Winners (리틀위너스). The duo performed at various showcases and was spotlighted by HipHoper.com in 2004.
Hyoyeon auditioned for SM Entertainment at the age of 11 through SM 2000 Casting System. Hyoyeon said she auditioned because her mother brought her to the offices of S.M. Entertainment in the hopes of meeting H.O.T. Hyoyeon then danced in an audition show. In 2004, along with Super Junior's Siwon, she was sent to study Chinese in Beijing. She received dance instruction from the Electric Boogaloos and top choreographers such as Kim Hye-rang, Poppin Seen, Kwang Hoo (aka Crazy Monkey), Poppin DS, Kwon Seok-jin (aka Locking Khan) and Black Beat's Shim Jae-won. She also worked with one of Justin Timberlake's choreographers and a few foreign teachers.
Before debuting with Girls' Generation, she worked with Janet Jackson and was BoA's silhouette dancer during a performance at M.net KM Music Festival 2005. In 2007, she teamed up with Jae Won for a dance collaboration to "Anonymous". Hyoyeon was also picked as Korea's No. 1 idol dancer on Star News.
2007–14: Career beginnings
On March 7, 2010, Hyoyeon and fellow Girls' Generation members Jessica and Sooyoung played cameo roles in episode 7 of the SBS television mini-series Oh! My Lady, starring Chae Rim and labelmate Choi Siwon. In November 2011, Hyoyeon and fellow Girls' Generation member Sunny became cast members for the second season of Invincible Youth, a South Korean reality television show.
In April 2012, Hyoyeon became a contestant in the second season of Dancing with the Stars, a competitive ballroom dancing television show. Hyoyeon and her partner, Kim Hyung-seok, ended up winning second place. In October 2012, Hyoyeon participated in S.M. Entertainment's special dance group Younique. The group released a single titled "Maxstep" as part of the collaboration between S.M. and Hyundai.
In January 2013, Hyoyeon made a guest appearance on the television show Blind Test Show 180 Degrees, where she took on the challenge of dancing to various types of club music. In May 2013, Hyoyeon was chosen as an Asian ambassador for the Hong Kong branch of Topshop. In June 2013, Hyoyeon and fellow Girls' Generation member Yuri became coaches for the contestants on Dancing 9, a competitive dancing television show.
2015–2017: Television roles and solo music
On February 12, 2015, Hyoyeon was featured in labelmate Amber's "Shake That Brass" music video, in which she plays a trumpet. On March 14, 2015, Hyoyeon was featured as the rapper in a performance by boyband S on Immortal Songs 2, with which they won with 423 points. In June 2015, Hyoyeon began hosting her own reality television show, Hyoyeon's One Million Likes, broadcast on OnStyle. Before the show was officially announced, an Instagram account was created where Hyoyeon posted pictures and videos with the goal of receiving one million likes from fans. On July 1, 2015, Hyoyeon became the first Girls' Generation member to publish a book with Hyo Style, in which she shares tips on beauty, fashion and lifestyle. The book contains 142 pages and comes with a DVD. In September 2015, Hyoyeon became a contestant alongside Seo In Young, MBLAQ member Mir and AOA member Hyejeong, among others, in a television show titled Mash Up, where they competed in DJing. On September 11, 2015, Hyoyeon was featured in rapper Vasco's "Whoa Ha!" music video, where guest stars lip-sync along to the song.
On February 3, 2016, Hyoyeon was a special MC on the OnStyle television show Get It Beauty. In May 2015, she became a cast member of the Korean-Chinese reality television show Star Advent. The show followed 12 Korean and Chinese celebrities tasked with working as office workers in foreign countries and premiered on July 9. In June 2016, she became a contestant alongside Shinee member Taemin, Sistar member Bora and Infinite member Hoya, among others, in the Mnet television show Hit The Stage, where they collaborate with professional dancers to compete in different genres of dancing under a given theme.
Later in June 2016, Hyoyeon was featured in the song "Up & Down" from fellow Girls' Generation member Taeyeon's second mini-album Why. In August 2016, she collaborated with miss A member Min and 2AM member Jo Kwon to form a special group named Triple T and release a single titled "Born to Be Wild", featuring Park Jin-young, as part of S.M. Entertainment's Station music project. In December 2016, Hyoyeon released her first solo song since debut titled "Mystery" as another single for SM Station. To accompany her solo release, she performed the song on various Korean music shows and starred in her reality show, Hyoyeon's 10 Million Likes 2.
2018–present: DJ career and solo activities
On April 12, S.M. Entertainment announced that Hyoyeon would return as DJ Hyo with a new single titled "Sober" on April 18 under SM's electronic dance music label Scream Records. The new single is a tropical-future house song characterized by electric guitar riffs and hook. It was also revealed that she would also be promoting actively as a DJ in domestic club tours and EDM festivals under her new stage name.
In August 2018, Hyoyeon was announced to be part of Girls' Generation's second sub-unit, Oh!GG, which consists of the five members of the group who remained under SM Entertainment. The group released their debut single, "Lil' Touch", in September.
On November 7, 2018, S.M. Entertainment revealed teaser images with the announcement that Hyoyeon would be releasing her second official track as DJ Hyo with a new single titled "Punk Right Now", which features American DJ 3LAU, on November 13.
In May 2020, Hyoyeon joined the competitive reality show Good Girl.
|Punk Right Now (Remixes)
|As lead artist|
|"Mystery"||2016||—||12||N/A||SM Station Season 1|
(featuring San E)
(featuring Ummet Ozcan)
|"Punk Right Now"
(featuring Loopy and Soyeon)
|"Think About Me"
(with Raiden featuring Coogie)
|As featured artist|
|"Up & Down"
(Taeyeon featuring Hyoyeon)
(as part of Younique Unit)
||PYL Younique Volume 1|
|"Born to be Wild"
(as part of Triple T featuring J. Y. Park)
|2016||164||11||N/A||SM Station Season 1|
|2020||—||—||Good Girl Episode 1|
(with Yeeun, Jeon Ji-woo, Jamie and Cheetah)
|—||—||Good Girl Episode 3|
(with Ailee, Jeon Ji-woo)
|—||—||Good Girl Episode 4|
|"I Do What I Want"
(with Lee Young-ji)
|—||—||Good Girl Final|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that region.|
|2012||I AM.||Herself||Biographical film of SM Town|||
|2015||SMTown The Stage||Herself||Documentary film of SM Town|||
|2008||Unstoppable Marriage||KBS||Bulgwang-dong's Seven Princesses Gang||Cameo (Ep.64)|
|2010||Oh! My Lady||SBS||Herself||Cameo (Ep.7)|
|2007||Cutie Honey, Mini Musical||KBS2||A bully||with Yuri & Jessica|
|2011–2012||Invincible Youth 2||KBS||Main cast||with Sunny|
|2012||Dancing with the Stars: Season 2||MBC||Main cast||Hyoyeon & Kim Hyung-suk won 2nd place|
|2013||Blind Test Show 180 Degrees||Herself|
|Dancing 9: Season 1||Mnet||Coach||with Yuri|
|2015||Hyoyeon's One Million Likes||OnStyle||Herself|
|Mash Up||SBS MTV||Contestant|
|2016||Star Advent||Shandong TV||Main cast|
|Hyoyeon's 10 Million Likes||OnStyle||Herself||China-Korea Variety Show|
|Hit the Stage||Mnet||Contestant|
|2017||Attraction TV: Season 2||OnStyle||Regular Member|
|2017–2018||My English Puberty||tvN||Main cast|
|2018||Where is Mr.Kim: Season 2|
|Secret Unnie||JTBC||Regular Member||Ep. 2–6, 8–9, 13-19|
|Human Intelligence – The Most Perfect A.I.|
|2021||Unnie's Beauty Carpool||Naver Style TV||Main cast||with Bora|
|"Sober (English Ver.)"|
|"Punk Right Now"|
|"Think About Me"|
Awards and nominations
|2012||MBC Entertainment Awards||Female Newcomer Show Variety||Dancing With The Stars: Season 2||Nominated|
- "Dessert" did not enter Gaon Digital Chart, but peaked at number 166 on the component Gaon Download Chart.
- Stern, Bradley (April 23, 2018). "DJ HYO: Girl of the EDM Generation". Paper. Paper Communications. Archived from the original on February 7, 2019. Retrieved January 26, 2019.
- "Happy birthday, Hyoyeon. We look back at the Girls' Generation star's life and achievements". South China Morning Post. September 20, 2019. Archived from the original on December 25, 2020. Retrieved August 2, 2020.
- Mark Russell (April 29, 2014). K-Pop Now!: The Korean Music Revolution. Tuttle Publishing. p. 72. ISBN 978-1-4629-1411-1. Archived from the original on May 27, 2016. Retrieved October 30, 2016.
- (in Korean) Girls' Generation UCC Story, July 19, 2007.
- 소녀시대 댄스퀸 효연 "초등학교 때 힙합스쿨 다녀". newsen.com (in Korean). August 1, 2007. Archived from the original on December 25, 2020. Retrieved December 15, 2018.
- 민과 소녀시대 효연 데뷔전부터 친분사진 눈길. winnersdanceschool.com (in Korean). February 3, 2008. Archived from the original on July 18, 2011. Retrieved August 16, 2010.
- "Hiphoper" 귀여운 팝퍼, 리틀위너스. hiphoper.com (in Korean). January 27, 2004. Archived from the original on May 24, 2007. Retrieved August 16, 2010.
- (in Korean) As seen on KBS 2TV Champagne (신동엽신봉선의 샴페인), March 14, 2009.
- (in Korean) As seen on MBCevery1 Flower Boys Generation[permanent dead link] (지금은 꽃미남시대), April 8, 2009.
- 효연, '댄스 DNA'를 타고난 춤꾼" (in Korean). 조엔 CHOEN. February 13, 2009. Archived from the original on August 13, 2011. Retrieved May 21, 2010.
- 세계 제패한 이효리춤선생 스타킹 깜짝출연 "최고의 댄서 교수 되고싶다". newsen.com (in Korean). December 14, 2008. Archived from the original on December 25, 2020. Retrieved August 18, 2010.
- (in Korean) As seen on MTV Girls' Generation Archived 2010-09-04 at the Wayback Machine, Episode 8, October 25, 2007.
- 데프 댄스스쿨 강남점 소울 왁킹반 영진샘 프리스타일 영상. blog.daum.net [데프댄스스쿨] (in Korean). May 8, 2010. Archived from the original on June 14, 2011. Retrieved August 18, 2010.
- (in Korean) Poppin DS Official website Archived 2010-09-04 at the Wayback Machine
- (in Korean) Locking Khan Official website Archived 2020-12-25 at the Wayback Machine
- Girls' Generation. HMI Magazine. December 15, 2010. p. 09.
Dancing queen of the next generation, Hyoyeon had received many dancing training from stars like Justin, Janet Jackson.
- 소녀시대 효연..."데뷔 전 연습생 시절 보아 선배 대역". 이데일리 SPN. August 7, 2007.
- 음악의 색깔, 멤버와 그룹의 이미지가 조화되는 것이 좋은 안무. 10.asiae.co.kr [10 아시아] (in Korean). February 5, 2009. Archived from the original on July 22, 2011. Retrieved August 18, 2010.
- SM Entertainment Girls' Generation Profile Archived 2019-10-17 at the Wayback Machine SMTown.com. Retrieved on January 30, 2013.
- 소녀시대, 최시원과 의리 지키며 '오 마이 레이디'서 카메오 출연. asiae.co.kr [아시아경제]. March 7, 2010. Archived from the original on April 12, 2010. Retrieved December 15, 2018.
- "SNSD's Sunny and Hyoyeon confirmed for 'Invincible Youth 2'! - allkpop.com". Archived from the original on December 25, 2020. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "Girls' Generation's Hyoyeon and Tony An to join the cast of 'Dancing with the Stars 2' - allkpop.com". Archived from the original on December 25, 2020. Retrieved April 25, 2012.
- pkdance (October 30, 2012). "Girls' Generation's Hyoyeon wins gold medal in skiing competitionGirls' Generation's Hyoyeon poses for '0/1 Creative Book'". Allkpop.com. Archived from the original on April 10, 2013. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- "Hyoyeon shows off her 'club dance' on 'Blind Test Show 180 Degrees' - allkpop.com".
- "Girls' Generation's Hyoyeon chosen as a new Asian ambassador for Topshop Hong Kong". hellokpop. May 31, 2013. Archived from the original on June 9, 2013. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- "Hyoyeon and Yuri will soon appear on "Dancing 9"". Archived from the original on October 3, 2013. Retrieved June 17, 2013.
- Min-woo, Yu-ri, Hyo-yeon join Mnet's ‘Dancing 9’ as K-POP dance masters Star.naver.com (June 17, 2013). Retrieved on December 11, 2014.
- "S (Kangta, Lee Ji Hoon) bring out Girls' Generation's Hyoyeon for a collaboration on 'Immortal Song' - allkpop.com". Archived from the original on December 25, 2020. Retrieved September 10, 2015.
- [단독]소시 효연, 단독 버라이어티 도전…'효연의 백만 라이크'. Naver Entertainment (in Korean). Archived from the original on December 25, 2020. Retrieved May 7, 2015.
- "OnStyle to Air 'Hyoyeon's One Million Likes'". Archived from the original on December 25, 2020. Retrieved January 6, 2016.
- "Buy SNSD HyoYeon's book 'Hyo Style'". Archived from the original on December 25, 2020. Retrieved June 25, 2015.
- "Pop and EDM to collide with Hyoyeon, Mir, Hyejeong, Seo In Young, and Sleepy confirmed for upcoming show 'Mash Up'! - allkpop.com". Archived from the original on July 2, 2017. Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- "Vasco gathers up his celebrity friends in new MV 'Whoa Ha !' - allkpop.com". Archived from the original on December 25, 2020. Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- 당신을 바꿔줄 뷰티 습관 ‘겟잇뷰티 2016’ 첫방송 (in Korean). newsfact.kr. February 3, 2016. Archived from the original on December 25, 2020. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- "Girls' Generation's Sunny and Hyoyeon to team up on Chinese-Korean variety show 'Star Advent'". Allkpop. May 3, 2016. Archived from the original on December 25, 2020. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- "Hyoyeon, Bora, Hoya, Momo, And More Confirmed For "Hit The Stage"". Soompi. June 24, 2016. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- "Mnet's new dance survival show 'Hit The Stage' confirms full lineup of idol competitors". Allkpop. Archived from the original on August 5, 2016. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- "Which Girls' Generation member is featuring in Taeyeon's upcoming album?". Allkpop. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- "S.M. and JYP join forces for epic collaboration". The Jakarta Post. August 25, 2016. Retrieved November 28, 2016.
- Lee Da-hye (December 1, 2016). 효연, 첫 솔로곡 '미스터리' 베일 벗었다. Asia Today (in Korean). Archived from the original on December 25, 2020. Retrieved December 1, 2016.
- "Girls' Generations' Hyoyeon to put out new solo track". The Korea Herald. May 26, 2017. Archived from the original on December 25, 2020. Retrieved June 16, 2017.
- [공식] 효연, DJ HYO로 변신..18일 데뷔곡 'Sober' 공개. Sports Chosun (in Korean). Daum. April 12, 2018. Archived from the original on December 25, 2020. Retrieved April 12, 2018.
- [공식입장] '뮤직큐' 측, "강타·써니·서은광·송민호 게스트 출연 확정". SE Daily (in Korean). Naver. April 12, 2018. Archived from the original on December 25, 2020. Retrieved April 12, 2018.
- 소녀시대 효연, DJ로 변신…18일 데뷔싱글 '소버' 발매. MBC News (in Korean). Naver. April 12, 2018. Archived from the original on December 25, 2020. Retrieved April 12, 2018.
- Herman, Tamar (August 27, 2018). "Girls' Generation Unit 'Oh!GG' to Release New Album in September". Billboard. Archived from the original on August 28, 2018. Retrieved February 18, 2019.
- "DJ HYO (Girls' Generation's Hyoyeon) reveals teaser images & audio clip for 'Punk Right Now' comeback". Allkpop.com. November 6, 2018. Archived from the original on December 25, 2020. Retrieved November 8, 2018.
- "효연(HYO), 새 싱글 'Badster' 오늘 (20일) 오후 6시 음원-MV 공개" [Hyoyeon (HYO) released new single "Badster" today (July 20th), 6 PM with MV release]. Hankookilbo (in Korean). July 20, 2019. Archived from the original on December 25, 2020. Retrieved July 21, 2019.
- "Music show 'Good Girl' assembles 10 'bad girl' musicians to compete for reward money". The Korea Times. May 14, 2020.
- Kim, Soo-young (July 22, 2020). "HYO(효연), 달콤한 중독이 시작됐다…'DESSERT' [신곡in가요]". Hankyung. Retrieved May 4, 2021.
- "WATCH: Girls' Generation member Yuri dances to Wonder Girls' 'Nobody'". GMA News Online. Retrieved May 5, 2021.
- "Gaon Album Chart". Gaon Music Chart (in Korean). Archived from the original on January 15, 2020. Retrieved March 28, 2017.
- Peak positions on the Gaon Digital Chart:
- Maxstep - 2012년 45주차 Digital Chart. Gaon Music Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association. Archived from the original on August 20, 2017. Retrieved August 7, 2016.
- Up & Down - 2016년 27주차 Digital Chart. Gaon Music Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association. Archived from the original on June 23, 2016. Retrieved July 7, 2016.
- Peak positions on the Billboard World Digital Songs chart:
- "Born to be Wild - World Digital Songs (September 17, 2016)". Billboard Charts. September 17, 2016.
- "Mystery - Billboard World Digital (December 24, 2016)". Billboard chart. December 24, 2016.
- "Wannabe - Billboard World Digital (June 24, 2017)". Billboard chart. June 24, 2017.
- "Sober - Billboard World Digital (April 28, 2018)". Billboard chart. April 24, 2018.
- "Punk Right Now - Billboard World Digital (November 24, 2018)". Billboard chart. November 19, 2018.
- "Dessert - Billboard World Digital (August 1, 2020)". August 1, 2020. Archived from the original on July 28, 2020. Retrieved July 29, 2020.
- 2020년 30주차 Download Chart.
- 2016년 27주차 Download Chart. Gaon Music Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association. Archived from the original on August 15, 2016. Retrieved July 7, 2016.
- "Gaon Download Chart - Week 45, 2012 (see #188)". Gaon Music Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association. Archived from the original on August 20, 2017. Retrieved August 7, 2016.
- "Documentary Shows Top K-Pop Singers Behind the Scenes". Chosun Ilbo. May 2, 2012. Archived from the original on September 29, 2018. Retrieved May 4, 2012.
- 'SM타운' 공연실황 다큐, 8월13일 국내개봉 확정. Naver Entertainment (in Korean). Archived from the original on January 30, 2016. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kim Hyo-yeon.|
- Official website (in Korean)