Kim Man Lui
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification, as its only attribution is to self-published sources; articles should not be based solely on such sources. (January 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Kim Man Lui (雷剑文), also known as Kimman Lui, is an author of software engineering, and financial speculation books. He is the Chief Operations Officer of Marvel Web Services, a member of the editorial board of the American Journal of Economics, and a lecturer with the Hong Kong Polytechnic University. He has authored over 20 publications and written content for over 30 journals.
Lui is known for his works in pair programming, in which he shows by experiment that "novice–novice pairs against novice solos" experience significantly greater productivity gains than "expert–expert pairs against expert solos",[non-primary source needed] and technical analysis, in which he shows the price behaviour of many index composite stocks is easier to understand than that of the index.[non-primary source needed] His books challenge the status quo regarding the development of software and financial speculation.
Kim Man Lui was born in Hong Kong and studied in Taiwan and South Africa. In 1992, Lui earned his Bachelor's degree in Engineering from Tamkang University and in 1995, he earned his master's degree from the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, South Africa. In 2006, he earned his doctorate from the Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
Lui is the Chief Operations Officer of Marvel Web Services. He has additionally held a number of IT positions in the commercial sector of Hong Kong and China. He was involved in the setup of a software center that adopts agile development in China. In 2004, He was involved in the open source development of Miranda IM.[not in citation given] [not in citation given] From 2006 to 2008, he served as Assistant Professor at Hong Kong Polytechnic University. In 2007, he developed a metasearch engine, in which the results are displayed on a China map.[not in citation given]
Lui's research interests include software engineering and finance. He has published five software engineering books, including one focusing on Agile software development. While his books are generally written in Chinese, his book Software Development Rhythms was initially printed in English and later translated for Chinese readers. He provided translation for author Kevin Beck and the second edition of his book, Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change.
As of 2012[update], Lui latest publication is Truth Among Lies: Positive and Negative Cases of Technical Analysis, which focuses on stock market speculation in China. In this publication, he criticised other Chinese authors about their investment books, stating that they have misled the public in China. His criticism was ill-received and considered unprofessional, due to unspoken agreements not to challenge other authors.
- CMM: Software Development Process Management and Improvement, (CMM：软件过程的管理与改进) Tsinghua University Press, 2002. ISBN 978-7-302-05739-0 (Chinese)
- Facts and Fictions in Extreme Programming Practices, (Chinese Title: 超越传统的软件开发——极限编程的幻象与真实) Electronics Industry Publishing Company, 2005. ISBN 978-7-121-00657-9 (Chinese)
- Software Development Rhythms, Wiley-Interscience, 2008. ISBN 978-0-470-07386-5 (English)
- Software Development Rhythms, (Chinese Title:软件开发之韵) (Translated In Chinese by Yangyan et al.) Electronics Industry Publishing Company, 2010. ISBN 978-7-121-10816-7 (Chinese)
- Truth Among Lies: Positive and Negative Cases of Technical Analysis, (Chinese Title:假中寻真:股票技术分析正反例) China Economic Publishing House, 2012. ISBN 978-7-5136-0345-4 (Chinese)
- Beck, Kent. Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (2nd Edition) (Chinese Title: 解析极限编程：拥抱变化 原书第2版), China Machine Press, 2011. ISBN 978-7-111-35795-7
- Beck, Kent. Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (2nd Edition) (Chinese Title: 解析极限编程 第二版 中英文对照), Electronics Industry Publishing Company, 2006. ISBN 978-7-121-02529-7
- "Scientific & Academic Publishing: Editorial Board". Sapub.org. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Kim Man Lui". Sapub.org. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- Lui, Kim Man (September 2006). "Pair programming productivity: Novice-novice vs. expert-expert" (PDF). International Journal of Human-Computer Studies. 64 (9): 915–925. doi:10.1016/j.ijhcs.2006.04.010. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Discovering Pattern Associations in Hang Seng Index Constituent Stocks | Lui | International Journal of Economics and Finance". Ccsenet.org. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "解析极限编程-拥抱变化(原书第2版)(第10届Jolt生产力大奖获奖图书) – 作 译 者". China-pub.com. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Kim M. Lui". Aminer.org. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Miranda IM – Addons – Click'n Chat – Quick Fix". Addons.miranda-im.org. 30 August 2004. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Miranda IM – Addons – ICQ Chat Room (Talk Agent)". Addons.miranda-im.org. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Geogle by Kim Man Lui 雷剑文 (Author of Software Development Rhythms)". Geogle.comp.polyu.edu.hk. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- Dingsoyr, Torgeir; Tore, Dybå; Moe, Nils Brede. Agile Software Development: Current Research and Future Directions, Springer, page 162, 2010. ISBN 978-3-642-12574-4