|Born||23 March 1971|
Seoul, South Korea
|Education||Seoul Institute of the Arts (Department of Film)|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Min-jong|
Kim Min-jong began his career on Korean film and television in the 1990s as a matinee idol with a gentle, serious image. He starred in popular TV series that kicked off pre-Hallyu Korean drama trends, notably Feelings, A Faraway Country, Mister Q, Secret and Guardian Angel. He also appeared in the films You Know What, It's a Secret, Resistance of Teenagers, and Park Chan-wook's sophomore effort Trio.
In 1992 he and fellow actor Son Ji-chang launched duo The Blue (더 블루). They were playing leads in hit dramas at the time, and enjoyed explosive popularity among women when they debuted with ballads and dance music. They went their separate ways for a while after their first album, but reunited in 1995 for a second project and produced many chart-toppers.
Kim simultaneously launched a successful career as a solo singer. But in 1996, at the height of his popularity, he announced his retirement from music after one of his hit songs turned out to have been a copy of another Japanese song. He made a comeback two years later with his fourth album.
Though his popularity dimmed in the mid- to late-2000s, Kim remained active in the entertainment industry as an actor, appearing in the film Mr. Butterfly opposite Kim Jung-eun, as well as the romantic comedy/police procedural Woman of Matchless Beauty, Park Jung-geum, risqué cable drama Hyena, period drama The Return of Iljimae, and manhwa adaptation A Man Called God.
In 2009 The Blue returned to the K-pop scene. Kim said Son had been toying with the idea of releasing a "best of" album for a while. When the two appeared together for an event in 2007, the positive response convinced them to get back together, so they re-recorded some of their old hits such as "Feeling Only for You," "With You," and "Endless Love." They released a four-song single album, and during that year went on official The Blue promotional activities. He and Son are also business partners and co-CEO of Blue M Company since 2010.
In 2012 his management agency SM Entertainment designated him as a non-executive director of one of its subsidiaries, SM Culture & Contents (SM C&C). That same year, he gained new fans after he starred in A Gentleman's Dignity, which portrayed the humorous love lives of a group of close-knit male friends in their forties. After the series ended, Kim and co-star Jang Dong-gun visited refugees in the Republic of the Congo on a mission trip sponsored by UNICEF and UNHCR's World Food Programme. It was televised on SBS documentary program Hope TV. Then he and another co-star Kim Su-ro co-hosted the show My Queen on cable channel Story On, in which they travel the world meeting Korean "queens" who've distinguished themselves in their respective fields.
- Rosebud (2019)
- Along with the Gods: The Last 49 Days (2018)
- The Windmill Palm Grove (2005)
- Romantic Assassins (2003)
- Mr Butterfly (2003)
- Family (2002)
- The Beauty in Dream (2002) (cameo)
- This is Law (2001)
- Saturday 2.00 pm (1998)
- The Last Defense (1997)
- Trio (1997)
- Holiday In Seoul (1997)
- Change (1997)
- The Gate of Destiny (1996)
- Returned Hero Hong Gil-dong (animated, 1995)
- A Hot Roof (1995)
- Coffee, Copy, and a Bloody Nose (1994)
- Orange County (1993)
- A Keeper of the Heart (1992)
- Resistance of Teenagers (1991)
- A Pale Rainy Day (1991)
- Autumn Journey (1991)
- Back To You Once More (1991)
- Only Because You are a Woman (1990)
- Young-shim (1990)
- You Know What, It's a Secret (1990)
- Happiness Does Not Come In Grades (1989)
- My Love, Don Quixote (1989)
- Don Quixote On Asphalt (1988)
- Vagabond (SBS, 2019)
- The Miracle We Met (KBS, 2018)
- Mrs. Cop 2 (SBS, 2016)
- Mrs. Cop (SBS, 2015)
- Secret Door (SBS, 2014)
- Reply 1994 (tvN, 2013) (cameo, ep 13)
- I Can Hear Your Voice (SBS, 2013) (cameo, ep 14)
- A Gentleman's Dignity (SBS, 2012)
- Athena: Goddess of War (SBS, 2010)
- A Man Called God (MBC, 2010)
- The Return of Iljimae (MBC, 2009)
- Woman of Matchless Beauty, Park Jung-geum (MBC, 2008)
- Hyena (tvN, 2006)
- Our Stance on How to Treat a Break-up (MBC, 2005)
- Island Village Teacher (SBS, 2004)
- Pearl Necklace (KBS2, 2003)
- Guardian Angel (SBS, 2001)
- Secret (MBC, 2000)
- Did You Ever Love? (KBS1, 1999)
- Ghost (SBS, 1999)
- Mister Q (SBS, 1998)
- Wedding Dress (KBS2, 1997)
- A Faraway Country (KBS2, 1996)
- Legend and Defiance (1996)
- Apartment (MBC, 1995)
- My Son's Woman (MBC, 1994)
- Feelings (KBS2, 1994)
- Passionate Times (SBS, 1993)
- Keep Your Voice Down (SBS, 1991)
- Dating Alone (JTBC, 2015)
- Four Sons and One Daughter (MBC, 2014)
- My Queen (Story On, 2012)
- Living Together in Empty Room (MBC, 2017)
- Trio’s Childcare Challenge (KBS2, 2019)
- The Blue, The First Memories (2009)
- 2nd: The Blue (1995)
- 1st: New Release (1992)
- 8th: 상처받은 사람들을 위해 (2003)
- 7th: You're My Life (2001)
- Kim Min-jong Best Album (2001)
- 6th: 왜 (2000)
- 5th: 因緣(인연) (1999)
- 4th: 愛(애) (1998)
- 3rd: 귀천도애 (1996)
- 2nd: 하늘아래서 (1993)
- 1st: 사랑 이별이야기 (1992)
- Beautiful Pain (2012 New Ver.) (from A Gentleman's Dignity OST, 2012)
- 있을게 (from Guardian Angel OST, 2001)
- 2012 SBS Drama Awards: Special Acting Award, Actor in a Weekend/Serial Drama (A Gentleman's Dignity)
- 2012 SBS Drama Awards: Best Couple Award with Yoon Jin-yi (A Gentleman's Dignity)
- 2001 SBS Drama Awards: Excellence Award, Actor (Guardian Angel)
- 2001 SBS Drama Awards: Top 10 Stars (Guardian Angel)
- 2001 SBS Song Festival: Pop Ballad Award
- 2000 SBS Drama Awards: Big Star Award (Ghost)
- 1999 Jogye Order 포교대상 원력상
- 1999 KBS Song Festival: Vocalist/Artist of the Year
- 1998 KBS Song Festival: Vocalist/Artist of the Year
- 1998 SBS Drama Awards: Top Excellence Award, Actor (Mister Q)
- 1996 Blue Dragon Film Awards: Popular Star Award (The Gate of Destiny)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-01-01. Retrieved 2010-11-19.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Lee, Hyo-won (16 March 2009). "Actors Reunite for Music Album". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- Bae, Ji-sook (24 June 2010). "Hyo-ri's plagiarism scandal snowballs". The Korea Times. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- Kim, Kyu Hyun. "Mr. Butterfly". Koreanfilm.org. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- Wee, Geun-woo (26 February 2010). "PREVIEW: MBC TV series The Man Called God". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- '더 블루' 손지창·김민종, 홍보기획사 '블루엠 컴퍼니' 창업. My Daily via Naver (in Korean). 27 February 2010. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- Han, Sang-hee (30 November 2010). "Athena to sneak into homes this month". The Korea Times. Archived from the original on 23 September 2015. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- Kang, Seung-hun (2 September 2010). "Kim Min-jong says Choi Si-won has much potential as actor". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- Beck, Una (31 May 2010). "INTERVIEW: Producer Chung Tae-won - Part 3". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Archived copy" 김민종 "배운 게 많은 잊지 못할 드라마". The Daily Focus (in Korean). 19 August 2012. Archived from the original on 2014-10-13. Retrieved 2012-12-03.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Suk, Monica (8 March 2012). "Kim Min-jong to hold fan meeting in Japan this weekend". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- Kim, Ji-yeon (23 June 2012). "A Gentleman′s Dignity Kim Min Jong Says He Wants More Scenes with Women". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- Sunwoo, Carla (28 July 2012). "Gentleman's Dignity to air in Japan". Korea JoongAng Daily. Archived from the original on 15 August 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (17 August 2012). "Kim Min Jong and Yoon Ji Ni Reunite as a Honeymoon Couple for High Cut". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- Sunwoo, Carla (21 August 2012). "Kim Min-jong proves he still got it". Korea JoongAng Daily. Archived from the original on 26 January 2013. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- Jeon, Su-mi (18 November 2012). "Jang Dong Gun and Kim Min Jong Meet Children in Congo and Ask for Help". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- Sunwoo, Carla (16 November 2012). "Gentlemen show a sensitive streak". Korea JoongAng Daily. Archived from the original on 27 January 2013. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Kim Min-jong from 20 years ago". Hancinema. 22 November 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- [단독]김민종·백윤식·이경영·문성근, 250억원 '배가본드' 출연. Ilgan Sports (in Korean). May 11, 2018.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (23 July 2012). "A Gentleman's Dignity Revives Kim Min Jong's Hit Song for OST". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-25.