Solez in 2019
|Born||June 20, 1946 (age 73)|
|Education||Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (1977)|
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry(M.D.,1972)
Oberlin College (B.A. 1968)
|Known for||Banff Classification|
Kim Solez (born 1946) is an American pathologist and co-founder of the Banff Classification, the first standardized international classification for renal allograft biopsies. He is also the founder of the Banff Foundation for Allograft Pathology.
Kim Solez obtained his M.D. with AOA honours from the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, and trained in pathology at Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions in Baltimore, Maryland where he was mentored in renal pathology by Robert H. Heptinstall. He joined the faculty at Johns Hopkins and in 1987 became chairman of the Department of Pathology at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada. In 1991, he established the Banff Classification, the first standardized, international classification for renal allograft biopsies, with Johns Hopkins pathologist Lorraine Racusen. The Banff Classification, updated in regular intervals, continues to "set standards worldwide for how biopsies from kidney and other solid organ transplants are interpreted". As chair of the International Society of Nephrology (ISN) Commission on Acute Renal Failure, from 1989 to 1997, Solez started the ISN Disaster Relief Task Force, a worldwide network of experts working closely with Médecins Sans Frontières "to provide essential medical care to people in the wake of natural disasters". In 1997, Solez worked to end the mysterious Haitian diethylene glycol poisonings, where the contaminated production of cough syrup lead to acute renal failure in 109 Haitian children. Solez was included in the 60 Minutes coverage of the investigation. In 2002, Solez founded Leonard Cohen Night, an Edmonton-local artistic event celebrating the work of Canadian singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen, and in 2008 co-organized the Leonard Cohen International Festival. In 2010, Solez completed the Singularity University Executive Course, and in 2011 pioneered a unique graduate level medical course Technology and the Future of Medicine at the University of Alberta. Solez has led the University of Alberta's involvement in the creation and further development of a unique medical school in Nepal devoted to rural health Patan Academy of Health Sciences. Solez continues work as a Pathologist at the University of Alberta, as well as Professor and Director of Experimental Pathology in the Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology.
- Associate Professor of Pathology and Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (1983–87)
- Professor and Chairman, Department of Pathology, University of Alberta (1987–92)
- Director, Anatomical Pathology, University of Alberta Hospital (1987–92)
- Pathologist, University of Alberta Hospital (1987-).
- Professor, Director - Experimental Pathology, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, University of Alberta (1992-)
- Over 230 journal articles.
- Acute Renal Failure: Correlations Between Morphology and Function (1984)
- Kidney Transplant Rejection - Diagnosis and Treatment (1986)
- International Review of Experimental Pathology (multiple editions)
- Acute Renal Failure: Diagnosis, Treatment, Prevention (1991)
- Organ Transplantation: Long-Term Results (1992)
- Solid Organ Transplant Rejection: Mechanisms, Pathology, and Diagnosis (1996)
- National Kidney Foundation Fellowship, 1976-77.
- National Kidney Foundation International Distinguished Medal, 2009.
- University of Alberta Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry Tier 1 Clinical Mentoring Award, 2016.
- Catalan Society for Transplantation Gold Medal, 2017 
- "Faculty and Resident Catalogue: Kim Solez". Johns Hopkins Pathology. Johns Hopkins University. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "Advisory Board Bios: Kim Solez". Lifeboat Foundation. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- Bhowmik, D.M. (2010). "The evolution of the Banff classification schema for diagnosing ..." Indian J Nephrol. 20 (1): 2–8. doi:10.4103/0971-4065.62086. PMC 2878403. PMID 20535263.
- Solez, Kim (2003). "Introduction: Disaster management and communications as viewed from 2003—taking the long view". Advances in Renal Replacement Therapy. National Kidney Foundation. 10 (2): 85–6. doi:10.1053/jarr.2003.50017. PMID 12879367. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "Renal Disaster Relief Task Force (RDRTF)". International Society of Nephrology. ISN. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- Solez, K.; et al. (1993). "International dialysis aid in earthquakes and other disasters". Kidney Int. 44 (3): 479–483. doi:10.1038/ki.1993.271. PMID 8231019.
- "60 Minutes Sept 28 1997 Dr Kim Solez Haiti Mass Poisoning". YouTube. JustMachines Inc. Retrieved 12 February 2019.
- "Report: Antifreeze in Medicine Traced to Chinese Company". AP News Archive. Associated Press. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "Festival founder's admiration of Canadian icon still grows". The Edmonton Journal. CanWest MediaWorks. 23 July 2008. Archived from the original on 23 September 2015. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "Artists will take Edmonton for Cohen festival". The Edmonton Journal. CanWest MediaWorks. 8 April 2008. Archived from the original on 23 September 2015. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- Solez K, et al. (2013). "Bridging the Gap between the Technological Singularity and Mainstream Medicine: Highlighting a Course on Technology and the Future of Medicine". Glob J Health Sci. 5 (6): 112–25. doi:10.5539/gjhs.v5n6p112. PMC 4776857. PMID 24171879.
- Solez, K.; Karki, A.; et al. (10 September 2012). "Multifaceted support for a new medical school in Nepal devoted to rural health by a Canadian Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry". Glob J Health Sci. 4 (6): 109–18. doi:10.5539/gjhs.v4n6p109. PMC 4777003. PMID 23121747.
- "Global Medicine". Alberta Medical Association. AMA. Archived from the original on 26 December 2015. Retrieved 19 October 2015.
- "Kim Solez". Academia.edu. University of Alberta. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- Kim Solez (1984). Acute renal failure: correlations between morphology and function. Dekker. ISBN 978-0-8247-1904-3.
- G. Melville Williams; James F. Burdick; Kim Solez (1986). Kidney transplant rejection: diagnosis and treatment. M. Dekker. ISBN 978-0-8247-7496-7.
- G. W. Richter; Kim Solez (22 October 2013). International Review of Experimental Pathology: Transition Metal Toxicity. Elsevier. ISBN 978-1-4832-1840-3.
- G. W. Richter; Kim Solez (22 October 2013). Molecular Cell Pathology: Molecular Cell Pathology. Elsevier Science. ISBN 978-1-4832-1841-0.
- G. W. Richter; Kim Solez (22 October 2013). Progress in Hodgkin's Disease. Elsevier Science. ISBN 978-1-4832-7604-5.
- G. W. Richter; Kim Solez (22 October 2013). Cytokine-Induced Pathology: Inflammatory Cytokines, Receptors, and Diseases. Elsevier Science. ISBN 978-1-4832-8230-5.
- Kim Solez (1994). International Review of Experimental Pathology: vol. 35. Academic Press. ISBN 978-0-12-364936-2.
- Kim Solez (1991). Acute renal failure: diagnosis, treatment, and prevention. M. Dekker. ISBN 978-0-8247-8225-2.
- Leendert C. Paul; Kim Solez (21 July 1992). Organ Transplantation: Long-Term Results. Taylor & Francis. ISBN 978-0-8247-8599-4.
- Kim Solez; Lorraine C. Racusen; Margaret E. Billingham (5 February 1996). Solid Organ Transplant Rejection: Mechanisms, Pathology, and Diagnosis. Taylor & Francis. ISBN 978-0-8247-9510-8.
- "International Distinguished Medal Recipients". National Kidney Foundation. NKF. 2014-09-23. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "Mentoring Award Winners". University of Alberta. UAlberta. Retrieved 1 December 2018.
- "Acceptance of Gold Medal Award". Transplantation Proceedings. Elsevier. 49 (10): 2243–2246. December 2017. doi:10.1016/j.transproceed.2017.10.013.