Kimberley A. Strassel
July 24, 1972
Buxton, Oregon, U.S.
|Wall Street Journal|
Kimberley A. Strassel (born July 24, 1972) is a conservative American author, journalist, and member of the Wall Street Journal editorial board. She writes a weekly column, "Potomac Watch", which appears on Fridays.
Strassel grew up in Buxton, Oregon, and she graduated in 1990 from Banks High School in nearby Banks. She graduated from Princeton University in 1994 with a B.A. in public policy and international affairs and immediately took a position at the Wall Street Journal.
Wall Street Journal
Strassel was a news assistant for the European edition of The Wall Street Journal in Brussels (1994–1996) and a staff writer covering technology for The Wall Street Journal Europe in London (1996–1999). She moved to New York in 1999 to cover real estate before joining the editorial page as an assistant features editor.
She became a senior editorial writer and member of the editorial board of the Wall Street Journal in 2005. In 2007, she began writing the long-running "Potomac Watch" column for the Wall Street Journal.
In 2006, Strassel co-wrote Leaving Women Behind: Modern Families, Outdated Laws (ISBN 0-7425-4545-8), which argues that government regulation interferes with marketplace initiatives to provide women with economic opportunity. In June 2016, she published a book called The Intimidation Game: How the Left Is Silencing Free Speech, in which she "excoriates the left's use of campaign finance laws to stifle free speech and free association."
In February 2016, Strassel was among the panelists for a Republican presidential primary debate held in South Carolina.
In the wake of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, Strassel called for a debate on teachers carrying concealed firearms and suggested they could also be equipped with stun grenades to protect their students.
- Smith, Taylor (June 27, 2014). "Buxton native and Wall Street Journal columnist Kimberley Strassel wins Bradley Prize". The Oregonian. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- https://www.c-span.org/video/?196550-1/qa-kimberley-strassel (1:19)
- "Kimberley Strassel". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2016-06-19.
- Seelye, Katharine (June 2, 2006). "The Wall Street Journal Names a Columnist". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- Pompeo, Joe. ""A Different Level of Crazy": Inside The Wall Street Journal's Civil War". vanityfair.com.
- "Kirkus Review: The Intimidation Game". Kirkus Reviews. June 28, 2016. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- Gore, Leada (February 11, 2016). "South Carolina Republican presidential debate: Feb. 13 CBS showdown with Trump, Cruz, Rubio". AL.com. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- Hart, Benjamin. "WSJ Editorial Board Member: Arm Teachers With Stun Grenades". Daily Intelligencer. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Weddings – Kimberley Strassel, Matthew Rose". The New York Times. July 16, 2000.