|Native name||木村 拓哉|
|Also known as||Kimutaku|
|Born||November 13, 1972|
Takuya Kimura (木村 拓哉 Kimura Takuya?, born November 13, 1972, nicknamed Kimutaku (キムタク?)) and the "Drama King" is a Japanese singer and actor. He is also a member of the Japanese idol group SMAP. Most of the TV dramas he starred in produced high ratings in Japan. He has become one of the most well-known and successful actors/singers/entertainers in Japan and Asia.
Born in Tokyo, Kimura lived in Minoo, Osaka Prefecture until he was six years old. Then, he lived and attended elementary school and junior high school in Chiba. His aunt sent in an application to the Johnny & Associates talent agency, which specializes in young male teen idols, and he became a member of Johnny's Juniors, a group of trainees, in 1987. Then he became one of the 12 members in a unit called "Skate Boys". Skate Boys used to be backup dancers of Hikaru Genji, which at the time was a very popular group. In 1988, SMAP was created, and he joined.
The year 1993 was a breakthrough year for Kimura and SMAP. After years of starring in low-budget dramas, Kimura played a leading role in the teen drama Asunaro hakusho as Osamu Toride, a college freshman in love with a friend Narumi Sonoda. The series, based on a then-popular manga of the same name, quickly became a hit. Toride, an ordinary student, the supporting role in Asunaro hakusho made Takuya popular, even far more popular than the leading actors. The thick, black-rimmed glasses he wore in the series sold extremely well. SMAP also released their hit single "$10". In 1994, a phrase "Kimutaku Syndrome" started to be reported in some media. The term refers to a phenomenon in which some young boys copy his fashion.
He won the "Ishihara Yujiro New Artist Award" for his performance in his film debut Shoot!. He has been chosen as Japan's most popular guy for 14 years in succession. The annual survey has been carried out by women's magazine Anan since 1988, and Kimura has been on top since 1994 until 2007.
In 1995, he played a role in the movie Kimi o Wasurenai (君を忘れない?). He became the official spokesperson for Hawkins Air Cushion shoes. The advertisement of him posing half-naked became a phenomenon in Japan. Fans ripped the posters off walls and metrostations to take home. Hawkins printed out thousands of copies but when it did not help, guards were put in front of the poster 24/7.
"Kimutaku", the abbreviation of his full name which had been popularly known in Japan, was later added to the "Encyclopedia of Contemporary Words". He became a phenomenal hit which was called the "Kimutaku Phenomenon", creating an economic impact in total of 152 billion JPY in one year by Dentsu Communication Institute Inc.
In 1996, he won his first Television Drama Academy Awards as Best Actor for Long Vacation. Kimura played a young shy pianist, Sena, who falls in love with an older ex-model, became a phenomenal hit. Thousands of men went to take up piano lessons. In the same year, SMAP began to host a weekly Japanese TV variety show SMAP×SMAP which made SMAP even more popular.
In 2000, he played a leading role in the TV series Beautiful Life, the finale of which had the highest ever viewing figures in the Kantō region. Takuya, as well as the show, swept all the awards that year.
In 2001, Kimura starred in Hero, which set a record with its high TV ratings of about 36.8%. Hero has the highest TV ratings since 1989 in Japan. Even a Hero SP which was on broadcast five years later recorded viewer ratings surpassing the 30 percent mark. He enjoyed more success in string of many hit series after Hero, such as Sora Kara Furu Ichioku no Hoshi, Good Luck!!, Pride and Engine. Good Luck topped 2003's TV view ratings at 37.6%. When it was on broadcast, the airlines got tons of job applications.
In 2006, Kimura starred in Love and Honor "Bushi no Ichibun", released in December 2006. Directed by Yoji Yamada, he played a young blind samurai during the Edo period. The role earned him several nominations from the most prestigious film awards in Japan, Japanese Academy Awards, Cinema Junpo Awards and Blue Ribbon Awards. Takuya's agency, Johnny & Associates , declined his nominations for him, but Tokyo Sports Film Awards, the jury headed by Kitano Takeshi, still crowned him Best Actor as well as Cinema Junpo which selected him as the second Best Actor of the year. Love and Honor became the biggest hit of Yamada's four-decade career with 40.3 billion JPY at the box-office. It was also the biggest box-office earner in Shochiku's history.
Kimura appeared in Space Battleship Yamato, released on December 1, 2010. This was the franchise's first live-action film and was directed by Takashi Yamazaki.
In 2011, SMAP performed in Beijing, their first international concert, to showcase Japanese culture to China. The concert was originally scheduled for 2010, but was cancelled due to fears of overcrowding.
In 2012, as Kimura starred in the TV series Priceless.
In 2013, Kimura starred in the TV series 安堂ロイド〜A.I. knows LOVE?〜
In 2014, Kimura starred in the TV series Hero 2
In 2015, Kimura starred in the TV series I'm home and Movie Hero 2.
On November 23, 2000, he announced he was going to marry Shizuka Kudo, a Japanese pop idol. They married on December 5, 2000. Their first daughter, Kokomi (心美?), was born on May 1, 2001 and their second daughter, Mitsuki (光希?), on February 5, 2003.
TV series and TV movies
- Sono toki Heartwa Nusumareta (Fuji TV, 1992)
- The Dancing Girl of Izu (TV Tokyo, 1993)
- Asunaro Hakusho / Ordinary People (Fuji TV, 1993)
- Wakamono no Subete (Fuji TV, 1994)
- Kimi wa Toki no kanata e / Beyond Your Time (TV Asahi, 1995)
- Jinsei wa Jojoda (TBS, 1995)
- Furuhata Ninzaburo 1 (Fuji TV, Takuya in 1996 episode. Drama starts 1994.)
- Long Vacation (Fuji TV, 1996)
- Kyousoukyoku / Concerto (TBS, 1996)
- Boku ga Boku de aru Tame ni (Fuji TV, 1997)
- Ii Hito (Fuji TV, 1997)
- Gift (Fuji TV, 1997)
- Love Generation (Fuji TV, 1997)
- Oda Nobunaga (1998)
- Nemureru Mori (Fuji TV, 1998)
- Beautiful Life (TBS, 2000)
- Food Fight (NTV, 2000)
- Hero (Fuji TV, 2001)
- Sora Kara Furu Ichioku no Hoshi / Hundred Million Stars From the Sky (Fuji TV, 2002)
- Good Luck!! (TBS, 2003)
- Pride (Fuji TV, 2004)
- Love and Dreams (2005)
- Engine (Fuji TV, 2005)
- Saiyūki (Fuji TV, 2006, Ep 1)
- Hero SP (Fuji TV, 2006)
- Karei naru Ichizoku / The Grand Tribe / The Family (TBS, 2007)
- Change! (Fuji TV, 2008)
- Goro's Bar (as Takura) (TBS, 2009)
- Mr. Brain (TBS, 2009)
- Tsuki no Koibito aka Moon Lovers (Fuji TV, 2010)
- Nankyoku Tairiku: Kami no Ryoiki ni Idomunda Otoko to Inu no Monogatari / Antarctica (TBS, 2011)
- Priceless (Fuji TV, 2012)
- Andō Lloyd: A.I. knows Love? (TBS, 2013)
- Miyamoto Musashi (TV Asahi, 2014)
- Hero 2 (Fuji TV, 2014)
- I'm Home (TV Asahi, 2015)
- Otōto (TBS, 1990)
- Shoot! (1994)
- Kimi o Wasurenai / Fly Boys, Fly! (as Junichiro Ueda) (1995)
- Konya wa Eigyochu / Open 24 Hours (Fuji TV, 1999)
- Chūshingura 1/47 (2001)
- Howl's Moving Castle (voice) (2004)
- 2046 (Tak) (2004)
- Love and Honor (2006)
- Hero (2007)
- I Come with the Rain (Shitaro) (2008)
- Redline (voice) (2010)
- Space Battleship Yamato (2010)
- Hero (2015)
- Blade of the Immortal (2017)
TV variety shows
- TV's High, (Fuji TV) late-night show, Friday (October 13, 2000 - March 23, 2001)
- SmaStation!!, (TV Asahi) 23:15 - 24:09 Saturday (October 13, 2001 - )
- Sanma & SMAP!, (NTV) an annual broadcast special program of Sanma Akashiya & SMAP, since 1995 every year during the December Christmas's day, 9:00 p.m. to 11:24 p.m. (144 minutes) (1995 - )
- Santaku, (Fuji TV) an annual broadcast special program of Sanma Akashiya & Takuya Kimura, since 2003 every year during the New Year's Day. (2003- )
- SMAP X SMAP, (Kansai TV and Fuji TV) 22:00 to 22:54 Monday (April 15, 1996 - )
- What's up SMAP! Takuya Kimura, Tokyo FM ) 23:00-23.30 Friday (January 1995 -)
- Modoken (1989)
- Saint Seiya, the Sanctuary and Poseidon chapter (Aoyama theater, August 15 - September 1, 1991)
- Hanakage No Hana (1992)
- Dragon Quest (Minamiza Theater, Kyoto, 1992)
- Another: Chinmoku no Shima Hen (The Artsphere / Minamiza Theater, Kyoto, 1993)
- Shareo-Tachi - Modern Boys (Tokyo Metropolitan Theater Stage Show, 1994)
- 7th Nikkan Sports Film Awards: Ishihara Yujiro New Artist Award ... Shoot! (1994)
- Elan d'Or Award : Newcomer of the Year ... Shoot! (1994)
- 11th Japan Jeans Makers Association: Best Jeanist (1994)
- 3rd Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Outfit ... Wakamono no Subete (1994)
- 31st Galaxy Award - Individual Performance award ... Wakamono no Subete (1995)
- 7th Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Outfit ... Jinsei wa Jojo da (1995)
- 12th Japan Jeans Makers Association: Best Jeanist (1995)
- 13th Japan Jeans Makers Association: Best Jeanist (1996)
- 9th Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Actor ... Long Vacation (1996)
- 10th Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Actor ... Concerto (1996)
- 6th TV Life Annual Drama Grand Prix: Best Actor ... Long Vacation (1996)
- 14th Japan Jeans Makers Association: Best Jeanist (1997)
- 13th Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Cast ... Gift (1997)
- 15th Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Actor ... Love Generation (1997)
- 7th TV Life Annual Drama Grand Prix: Best Actor ... Gift, Love Generation (1997)
- 15th Japan Jeans Makers Association: Best Jeanist (Hall of Fame) (1998)
- 1st Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix: Best Actor... Love Generation (1998)
- 19th Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Actor ... Nemureru Mori (1998)
- 3rd Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix: Best Actor ... Beautiful Life (1999)
- 24th Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Actor ... Beautiful Life (1999)
- 26th Broadcasting Culture Fund Award (by Hoso Bunka Foundation) : Best Actor  ... Beautiful Life (2000)
- 10th TV Life Annual Drama Grand Prix: Best Actor ... Beautiful Life (2000)
- TV Station Drama Awards : Best Actor ... Beautiful Life (2000)
- 28th Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Actor ... Hero (2001)
- 4th Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix: Best Actor ... Hero (2001)
- 11th TV Life Annual Drama Grand Prix: Best Actor ... Hero (2001)
- TV Station Drama Awards : Best Actor ... Hero (2001)
- 33rd Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Actor ... Sora Kara Furu Ichioku no Hoshi (2002)
- 6th Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix: Best Actor ... Good Luck!! (2003)
- 45th Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Actor (Nominated)... Engine (2005)
- Declined nominations for the 49th Blue Ribbon Awards for Best Actor Award (2006) ... movie Love and Honor (2006)
- Declined nominations for the 30th Japanese Academy Awards for Best Actor Award (2006) ... movie Love and Honor (2006)
- 61st Japan Film Awards: Best Actor (Nominated) ... movie Love and Honor (2006)
- 16th Tokyo Sports Film Awards: Best Actor ... movie Love and Honor (2006)
- 20th Nikkan Sports Film Awards 2007: Best Actor ... movie Love and Honor (2006)
- 2nd Seoul Drama Awards 2007: Best performance by an actor in a leading role ... Karei naru Ichizoku (2007)
- 52nd Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Actor ... Karei naru Ichizoku (2007)
- 4th TV Navi Drama of the Year 2007: Best performance by an actor in a leading role ... Karei naru Ichizoku (2007)
- 57th Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Actor ... Change! (2008)
- 12th Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix "Spring 2008": Best Actor ... Change! (2008)
- 62nd Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Actor (Nominated)... Mr. Brain (2009)
- 66th Japan Film Awards: Best Actor ... Nankyoku Tairiku: Kami no Ryoiki ni Idomunda Otoko to Inu no Monogatari (2011)
- 52nd ACC CM Festival: Best Acting in TV commercial... Toyota Motor Corporation "REBORN" CM series (2012)
- 16th Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix "Annual 2012": Best Actor ... Priceless (2012)
- 75th Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Actor ... Priceless (2012)
- 17th Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix "Fall 2013": Best Actor ... Ando Lloyd: A.I. knows Love? (2013)
- 10th TV Navi Drama of the Year 2013: Best performance by an actor in a leading role ... Ando Lloyd: A.I. knows Love? (2013)
- 82th Television Drama Academy Awards: Best Actor ... Hero 2 (2014)
- (April 24, 2003, Shueisha) Kai-Ho-Ku Open Area, ISBN 978-4087803778
- (September 30, 2011, Shueisha) Open Area 2, ISBN 978-4087806137
- (1996, Kawashima International, Noriaki Yokosuka) Takuya Kimura, ISBN 978-4533026430
- (November 11, 2006, Magazine House) percentage % , ISBN 978-4838717262
- (September 30, 2011, Shueisha) Takuya Kimura × Men's Non-No Endless, ISBN 978-4087806144
- "Kai-Ho-Ku" or "Open area": Kimura's gossip column, monthly published in Myojo magazine written by Kimura Takuya (June 1995 - 2012)
- One Minute Takuya Kimura (2006)
- "SMAP member profiles" (in Japanese). Johnny's net. Retrieved February 17, 2010.
- "J-pop star Kimutaku caught speeding twice: reports". Agence France Presse.
- Smap Members. General Books LLC, 2010. ISBN 9781157483885.
- "30 November,1994 Nikkan Sports Film Award - Yujiro Ishihara New Artist Award". Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "Kimura Takuya Top Dog Yet Again". September 4, 2007. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "1995年末的Dentsu Communication Institute Inc. Study发现"木拓现象"在那年创造了1520亿日本元的经济冲击。他的名字即代表了"美男子"，几乎达到普通名词的高度。"kimutaku"被记入《日本百科全书》字条。". Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "Housemaid drama series logs highest rating in nearly 12 years". Japan Economic Newswire.
- 『HERO』、全話30％超の視聴率を達成 平均視聴率も新記録
- "Film of the day". Evening Gazette. p. 22.
- "Kimutaku Declines Academy Nomination". Japan Zone. December 20, 2006. Retrieved December 17, 2009.
- Wan, Foong Woei. "Sugar and spies; Hot stars, espionage, romance and melodrama pump up the adrenaline on the small screen". The Straits Times (Singapore).
- Lee, Jocelyn. "Chiling's model answers; Chiling Lin, FHM Taiwan's sexiest woman for three years, sees herself as sweet, not sexy". The Straits Times (Singapore).
- "China hopes SMAP's concert will promote better Beijing–Tokyo ties". Japan Economic Newswire.
- "SMAP vows to show Japan's resilience in China concert". Japan Economic Newswire.
- "30 November,1994 Nikkan Sports Film Award - Yujiro Ishihara New Artist Award". Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "Best Jeanist Award- past winner". Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- "Television Drama Academy Awards". Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "Nikkan Sports Film Award 2007". Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "Japan Film Awards". Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- "第26回放送文化基金賞は『ビューティフルライフ』が受賞 本賞のほか男優、女優、脚本の各部門で受賞". Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- "北野武×木村拓哉共演ReBORN系列CM获奖". Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- Johnny's net Official Profile（English）
- Takuya Kimura at the Internet Movie Database
- Takuya Kimura at Anime News Network's encyclopedia