Cover of the first manga volume, featuring the main characters (from left-to-right): Karen Kujo, Shinobu Omiya, and Alice Cartelet
|Genre||Comedy, Slice of Life|
|Written by||Yui Hara|
|Magazine||Manga Time Kirara Max|
|Original run||June 2010 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Written by||Yuniko Ayana|
|Music by||Ruka Kawada|
|Original network||AT-X, Tokyo MX, BS11 Digital|
|Original run||July 6, 2013 – September 21, 2013|
|Anime television series|
|Hello!! Kin-iro Mosaic|
|Written by||Yuniko Ayana|
|Music by||Ruka Kawada|
|Original network||AT-X, Tokyo MX, SUN, KBS, TVh, TVA, BS11|
|Original run||April 5, 2015 – June 21, 2015|
|Original video animation|
|Kin-iro Mosaic: Pretty Days|
|Written by||Yuniko Ayana|
|Music by||Ruka Kawada|
|Studio||Studio Gokumi, Aksiz|
|Released||March 3, 2017|
Kin-iro Mosaic (Japanese: きんいろモザイク Hepburn: Kin'iro Mozaiku, lit. "Golden Mosaic"), also known by the abbreviation Kinmoza (きんモザ), is a Japanese 4-panel manga written and illustrated by Yui Hara. The series began serialization in Houbunsha's Manga Time Kirara Max magazine in June 2010 and is licensed in English by Yen Press. An anime television adaptation by Studio Gokumi aired in Japan between July and September 2013, with a second season airing between April and June 2015. An original video animation was released in March 2017.
Shinobu Omiya is a Japanese high school girl who, five years ago, had a homestay in England with a girl named Alice Cartelet. One day, Shinobu receives a letter from Alice saying she is coming to Japan to live with her. Surely enough, Alice appears and joins Shinobu and her friends Aya Komichi and Yoko Inokuma at her school. She is soon followed by Alice's friend from England, Karen Kujo.
- Shinobu Omiya (大宮 忍 Ōmiya Shinobu)
- Voiced by: Asuka Nishi
- A graceful, optimistic high school girl, nicknamed Shino by her friends, who previously stayed over at Alice's home in England. She dreams of becoming an interpreter, but generally has bad grades in English, among other subjects, although she shows talent as a seamstress. She loves western culture, and notably has an obsession with blonde hair. As an airhead, she often misinterprets Alice's advances towards her, but she shows that she loves Alice more than blonde haired girls in serious moments.
- Alice Cartelet (アリス・カータレット Arisu Kātaretto)
- Voiced by: Manami Tanaka
- A girl from England who transfers into Shinobu's school and lives at her house. Highly intelligent, she loves Japanese culture and speaks the language fluently, but can also act childish at times, and has a complex about her short stature. Alice loves Shinobu, to the point of obsession, and tends to get jealous if she shows interest in others, or if others show interest in her.
- Aya Komichi (小路 綾 Komichi Aya)
- Voiced by: Risa Taneda
- Shinobu's classmate, and friend since middle school. Throughout the series, she increasingly develops a crush on Yoko, however she has difficulty being honest with her feelings, and often snaps at her, only to feel bad about it later on. She frequently misinterprets situations between herself and Yoko, responding indignantly and blushing. As a student, she is highly intelligent, and even passed an entrance exam to a prestigious high school, however she turns down the opportunity as she does not wish to be separated from her friends. She is also very shy, and dislikes physical exercise, preferring indoor activities.
- Yoko Inokuma (猪熊 陽子 Inokuma Yōko)
- Voiced by: Yumi Uchiyama
- Shinobu's classmate and childhood friend since elementary school, who often serves as the tsukkomi character. Cheerful, boyish, and very energetic, she seems to be oblivious of Aya's sentiment towards her, however she becomes increasingly aware that Aya cares about her. Like Shinobu, she often struggles to get good grades in school, and she is also very clumsy, on one occasion accidentally breaking her sister's teddy bear. She has two younger siblings: a brother and sister, whom she cares deeply about, but she often worries about their tendency to lie.
- Karen Kujo (九条 カレン Kujō Karen)
- Voiced by: Nao Tōyama
- A half-British, half-Japanese girl who comes from a rich family and was Alice's friend back in England. She also comes to Japan and enrolls in Shinobu's school. She is very energetic, fun-loving and carefree, not even worrying about her grades or her getting fat. She often wears a Union Jack parka jacket over her school uniform and generally speaks in broken Japanese. Being incredibly friendly, she seeks to make friends with all of her classmates, and even her second-year homeroom teacher Akari Kuzehashi, albeit with varying degrees of success.
- Isami Omiya (大宮 勇 Ōmiya Isami)
- Voiced by: Yukari Tamura
- Shinobu's older sister who is a fashion model. She is often worried about Shinobu, because of the fact that she is very careless and absent-minded but she manages to handle her very well.
- Sakura Karasuma (烏丸 さくら Karasuma Sakura)
- Voiced by: Satomi Satō
- Shinobu's English teacher, who is often seen wearing a tracksuit jersey. She is kind, meek, and absent-minded. Alice initially sees her as a rival for Shino's affections, but grows fond of her over time. She has two older brothers. She spends most of her time with Kuzehashi, and is constantly asked for advice from her
- Akari Kuzehashi (久世橋 朱里 Kuzehashi Akari)
- Voiced by: Saori Ōnishi
- A home economics teacher who appears after a year has passed in the story and is the homeroom teacher of class 2-A. She is very conscientious about the example she sets for her students, however she also wants to get along with her students, but always ends up intimidating them. She and Karen have an unusual relationship, initially not getting along with her, but warming up to her over time. Regardless, she often has to berate Karen for forgetting her homework or falling asleep in class, however she makes an increasing effort to not be too stern with her.
- Honoka Matsubara (松原 穂乃花 Matsubara Honoka)
- Voiced by: Ayaka Suwa
- Karen's classmate and best friend, who is a member of the tennis club and is often seen bringing Karen homemade snacks. Much like Shinobu, she also has a fascination with blonde hair and sees Alice and Karen as royalty. Her family owns a restaurant. Because of her blonde hair fetish, she develops a major crush towards Karen, and on one occasion finds herself incredibly nervous to ask Karen for her email address.
- Kota Inokuma (猪熊 空太 Inokuma Kōta) and Mitsuki Inokuma (猪熊 美月 Inokuma Mitsuki)
- Voiced by: Megumi Han (Kota) and Rie Murakawa (Mitsuki)
- Yoko's younger brother and sister, who are both twins. They are often notorious liars, making up weird tales, and generally speak in monotone. They also help Aya to be more honest with Yoko.
The original manga by Yui Hara began serialization in Houbunsha's Manga Time Kirara Max magazine in June 2010. Nine tankōbon volumes and an anthology comic have been released as of July 26, 2018. The series has been licensed in English by Yen Press, and in Indonesian by Elex Media Komputindo.
|No.||Japanese release date||Japanese ISBN||English release date||English ISBN|
|1||March 26, 2011||ISBN 978-4-83-224011-7||December 20, 2016||ISBN 978-0-31-650146-0|
|2||April 26, 2012||ISBN 978-4-83-224143-5||March 21, 2017||ISBN 978-0-31-643353-2|
|3||June 27, 2013||ISBN 978-4-83-224314-9||June 20, 2017||ISBN 978-0-31-643354-9|
|4||September 27, 2013||ISBN 978-4-83-224350-7||September 19, 2017||ISBN 978-0-31-643356-3|
|5||November 27, 2014||ISBN 978-4-83-224497-9||December 19, 2017||ISBN 978-0-31-643357-0|
|6||June 27, 2015||ISBN 978-4-83-224578-5||April 24, 2018||ISBN 978-0-31-643358-7|
|7||September 27, 2016||ISBN 978-4-83-224744-4||September 18, 2018||ISBN 978-1-97-530177-4|
|8||July 27, 2017||ISBN 978-4-83-224855-7||January 22, 2019||ISBN 978-1-97-530236-8|
|9||July 26, 2018||ISBN 978-4-83-224963-9||May 21, 2019||—|
A 12-episode anime adaptation was produced by Studio Gokumi, with direction by Tensho and character design by Kazuyuki Ueda. The series aired in Japan on AT-X between July 6 and September 21, 2013 and was simulcast by Crunchyroll. The respective opening and ending themes are "Jumping!!" and "Your Voice", both performed by Rhodanthe* (Asuka Nishi, Manami Tanaka, Risa Taneda, Yumi Uchiyama, and Nao Tōyama). The series is licensed in North America by Sentai Filmworks under the title Kinmoza!. A second season, titled Hello!! Kin-iro Mosaic, aired between April 5, 2015 and June 21, 2015, once again simulcast by Crunchyroll. The respective opening and ending themes are "Yumeiro Parade" (夢色パレード Dream-colored Parade) and "My Best Friends", both performed by Rhodanthe*. As with the first season, the second season has been licensed by Sentai Filmworks under the title Hello!! Kinmoza!. An original video animation episode, Kin-iro Mosaic: Pretty Days, was released on March 3, 2017. Manga Entertainment has licensed both seasons for a UK release.
Appearances in other media
Characters and songs from Kin-iro Mosaic appear alongside other anime characters in the rhythm game Miracle Girls Festival, which is developed by Sega for the PlayStation Vita. Characters from the series also appear in the mobile game Kirara Fantasia.
- "Kin-iro Mosaic 4-Panel Schoolgirl Comedy Manga Gets TV Anime". Anime News Network. December 18, 2012. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- "Animax Asia to Air Hello!! KINMOZA, Cute High Earth Defense Club Love!, My Love Story!! Anime". Anime News Network. October 20, 2016. Retrieved October 28, 2016.
- The English B&B that is famous in Japan, BBC (Wiltshire) News, 5 June 2018.
- "Character" (in Japanese). Kin-iro Mosaic Production Committee. Retrieved September 2, 2017.
- きんいろモザイク (9) (まんがタイムKRコミックス) [Kin-iro Mosaic (9) (Manga Time KR Comics)] (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved August 20, 2018.
- きんいろモザイク アンソロジーコミック (1) (まんがタイムKRコミックス) [Kin-iro Mosaic Anthology Comic (1) (Manga Time KR Comics)] (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved November 27, 2014.
- "Yen Press Licenses Kiniro Mosaic, Scum's Wish, Tohyou Game Manga". Anime News Network. March 25, 2016. Retrieved May 1, 2016.
- "Golden Mosaic 1". Elex Media Komputindo (in Indonesian). Retrieved December 3, 2017.
- "Kiniro Mosaic, Vol. 1". Hachette Book Group. Yen Press. Retrieved March 17, 2018.
- "Kiniro Mosaic, Vol. 2". Hachette Book Group. Yen Press. Retrieved March 17, 2018.
- "Kiniro Mosaic, Vol. 3". Hachette Book Group. Yen Press. Retrieved March 17, 2018.
- "Kiniro Mosaic, Vol. 4". Hachette Book Group. Yen Press. Retrieved March 17, 2018.
- "Kiniro Mosaic, Vol. 5". Hachette Book Group. Yen Press. Retrieved March 17, 2018.
- "Kiniro Mosaic, Vol. 6". Hachette Book Group. Yen Press. Retrieved March 17, 2018.
- "Kiniro Mosaic, Vol. 7". Hachette Book Group. Yen Press. Retrieved July 27, 2018.
- "Kiniro Mosaic, Vol 8". Hachette Book Group. Yen Press. Retrieved September 26, 2018.
- "Kin-iro Mosaic Anime's Staff, 1st Key Visual Revealed". Anime News Network. March 19, 2013. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- "Kin-iro Mosaic TV Anime's 2nd Promo Streamed". Anime News Network. August 17, 2013. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- "Kin-iro Mosaic TV Anime Slated for July 6". Anime News Network. August 17, 2013. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- "Crunchyroll to Stream Kin-iro Mosaic TV Anime Series". Anime News Network. August 17, 2013. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- "Yukari Tamura, Satomi Satou Join Kin-iro Mosaic Cast". Anime News Network. August 17, 2013. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- "Sentai Filmworks Adds Kinmoza!/Kin-iro Mosaic Anime". Anime News Network. August 17, 2013. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- "KINMOZA!/Kin-iro Mosaic's New Anime Is 2nd TV Season". Anime News Network. April 16, 2014. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-07-18/2nd-kinmoza-kin-iro-mosaic-season-title-visual-unveiled[dead link]
- "Crunchyroll Streams Sound! Euphonium, Hello!! Kinmoza, Tesagure! 3". Anime News Network. Retrieved May 1, 2015.
- "Sentai Filmworks Adds Pleiades, Re-Kan, Snafu Too, Hello! Kinmoza, UtaPri Season 3, Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?, Food Wars". Anime News Network. Retrieved May 1, 2015.
- "Sentai Filmworks Adds Pleiades, Re-Kan, SNAFU Too, Hello! KinMoza, UtaPri Season 3, Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon and Food Wars". Anime News Network. April 4, 2015.
- "Hello!! KINMOZA Anime Gets New Special Episode". Anime News Network. March 26, 2016. Retrieved May 1, 2016.
- "Manga Entertainment Q4 Titles Listed on Amazon". Anime News Network. July 3, 2017. Retrieved July 3, 2017.
- "人気アニメのキャラクターが奇跡の共演！ 『ミラクルガールズフェスティバル（仮題）』PS Vitaで今冬発売決定 - ファミ通.com". Famitsu.com. March 19, 2015. Retrieved May 2, 2015.
- "Yuruyuri, Nyaruko Characters Star in Miracle Girls Festival Crossover Rhythm Game". Anime News Network. March 18, 2015. Retrieved May 2, 2015.
- "きんいろモザイク｜CHARACTER｜きららファンタジア 公式サイト" (in Japanese). Houbunsha. Retrieved February 13, 2019.