Principal Church of Kinchil, Yucatán
Region 1 Poniente #044
|• Municipal President||Marco Antonio Poot Aguallo|
|• Total||160.95 km2 (62.14 sq mi)|
|Elevation||8 m (26 ft)|
|• Density||41/km2 (110/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central Standard Time)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (Central Daylight Time)|
|Major Airport||Merida (Manuel Crescencio Rejón) International Airport|
|Municipalities of Yucatán|
Kinchil Municipality (Yucatec Maya: "Place of the god Kinich") is one of the 106 municipalities in the Mexican state of Yucatán containing (160.95 km2) of land and is located roughly 35 kilometres (22 mi) west of the city of Mérida.
There is no accurate data on when the town was founded, but it was a settlement before the conquest and was located in the chieftainship of Ah Canul. After colonization, the area became part of the encomienda system with various encomenderos, with Pedro Castellanos and Petrona Magaña Dorantes serving at different times.
The municipal president is elected for a three-year term. The town council has four councilpersons, who serve as Secretary and councilors of heritage and monuments; public works and public cleanliness; roads; and public buildings.
The Municipal Council administers the business of the municipality. It is responsible for budgeting and expenditures and producing all required reports for all branches of the municipal administration. Annually it determines educational standards for schools.
The Police Commissioners ensure public order and safety. They are tasked with enforcing regulations, distributing materials and administering rulings of general compliance issued by the council.
|Entire Municipality (2010)||6,571|
|Kinchil||5705 in 2005|
|Tamchén||259 in 2005|
Every year on 24 May the town celebrates the feast of its patron, Christ of the Blisters.
- Church of Christ of the Blisters, built in the sixteenth century
- Hacienda Tamchén
- "Kinchil le da una buena respuesta a la campaña del panista Marco Poot" (in Spanish). Mexico: El Tiempo. 17 June 2012. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "Municipios de Yucatán »Kinchil" (in Spanish). Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "Mexico In Figures:Kinchil, Yucatán". INEGI (in Spanish and English). Aguascalientes, México: Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Geografía (INEGI). Archived from the original on 6 May 2015. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "Kinchil". inafed (in Spanish). Mérida, Mexico: Enciclopedia de Los Municipios y Delegaciones de México. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "Kinchil" (in Spanish). PueblosAmerica. 2005. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "Tamchén" (in Spanish). PueblosAmerica. 2005. Retrieved 15 August 2015.