|Related brands||Kinder Chocolate|
Kinder Joy (formerly known as Kinder Merendero in Italy) is a candy made by Italian confectionery company Ferrero as part of its Kinder brand of products. It has plastic egg-shaped packaging that splits into two; one half contains layers of cocoa and milk cream, and the other half contains a toy. Kinder Joy was launched in Italy in 2001 and as of 2014[update] was sold in more than 100 countries.
Kinder Joy is a brand within the Kinder line of chocolate products sold by Ferrero. It has a plastic egg-shaped package with a tab to open it into two halves. One sealed half contains layers of cocoa and milk-flavoured creams topped with two cocoa wafer spheres, to be eaten with an included spoon. The other half contains a toy. As of 2015[update], Kinder Joy is produced in Poland, India, South Africa, Ecuador, Cameroon, and China. First ingredient is sugar, second is vegetable oils (palm, sheanut, sunflower) as listed on the toy in the ingredients list.
Ferrero launched Kinder Joy in Italy in 2001. It has been sold in Spain since 2004, in Germany since May 2006 and in China and India since 2007. It was launched in Australia and the United States in 2018.
In 2011, Ferrero opened a factory in Baramati, India, to make the eggs, in addition to other products including Tic Tacs. In 2015, the company opened its first factory in China in the Xiaoshan District of Hangzhou, which produced Kinder Joy as its first manufacturing line. As of September 2015[update] Kinder Joy was one of the highest selling candy products in the Chinese market and had received Nielsen China’s Breakthrough Innovation Award.
In May 2017, it was announced that Kinder Joy would be launched in the United States in 2018; Kinder Surprise is banned in the U.S. by a federal law: Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, which bans all food products that contain non-nutritive objects embedded within them.
- John Wood (13 November 2015). "Product news: Kinder spreads Joy". Forecourt Trader. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- "Bringing joy this spring". Scottish Grocer and Convenience Retailer. 13 November 2015. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- "Ferrero unveils limited edition gifting and treat lines". Convenience Store. 6 November 2015. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- "Ferrero profits jump in 2014 as Kinder eggs sales soars". Jiemian.com. 26 March 2015. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- Simon Gwynn (10 November 2015). "Ferrero expands Kinder range with Kinder Joy". The Grocer. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- "Focus Kinder Surprise and Kinder Joy". Ferrero SpA Corporate Social Responsibility. Ferrero SpA. 31 December 2014. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- "Ferrero Group Launches the First Plant in China". Shanghai Morning Post. 26 September 2015. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- "Kinder Joy". www.ferrero.es.
- Peter Stiff (20 January 2006). "Ferrero looks for growth in North America". Confectionery News. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- Ajita Shashidhar (30 March 2014). "Unwrapped; How Italian Confectionery Giant Ferrero Created a Market for Premium Chocolate in India". Business Today (India). Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- Ratna Bhushan; Sagar Malviya (23 April 2013). "How Ferrero India's surprise toy inside Kinder Joy helped it beat Nestle's chocolate division". The Economic Times (India). Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- "Italian Chocolate Giant Launches the First China Manufacturing Plant in Hangzhou". Xinhua News Agency. 23 September 2015. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- "Kinder Egg Is Coming to America". Fortune. Retrieved 23 May 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kinder Joy.|