Kindo Koysha

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Kindo Koysha is one of the woredas in the Southern Nations, Nationalities, and Peoples' Region of Ethiopia. Part of the Wolayita Zone, Kindo Koysha is bordered on the south by Offa, on the southwest by Kindo Didaye, on the west by the Dawro Zone, on the north by Boloso Bombe, on the west by Damot Sore, and on the southeast by Sodo Zuria. The administrative center of Kindo Koysha is Bele. Kindo Didaye woreda was separated from Kindo Koysha.

According to a 2004 report, Kindo Koysha had 86 kilometers of all-weather roads and 39 kilometers of dry-weather roads, for an average road density of 161 kilometers per 1000 square kilometers.[1]

Demographics[edit]

Based on the 2007 Census conducted by the CSA, this woreda has a total population of 104,564, of whom 51,150 are men and 53,414 women; 6,590 or 6.3% of its population are urban dwellers. The majority of the inhabitants were Protestants, with 79.82% of the population reporting that belief, 16.73% practiced Ethiopian Orthodox Christianity, 1.52% were Catholic, and 1.18% observed traditional religions. [2]

The 1994 national census reported a total population for this woreda of 140,687 of whom 69,980 were men and 70,707 were women; 3,606 or 2.56% of its population were urban dwellers. The largest ethnic group reported in Damot Weyde was the Welayta (99.46%); all other ethnic groups made up 0.54% of the population. Welayta was the dominant first language, spoken by 99.66% of the inhabitants; the remaining 0.34% spoke all other primary languages reported. Concerning religious beliefs, the 1994 census reported that 39.74% of the population said they were Protestants, 32.49% practiced Ethiopian Orthodox Christianity, 13.83% observed traditional religions, 12.86% were Muslim, and 1.08% were Roman Catholic.[3]

Notes[edit]

  1. ^ "Detailed statistics on roads" Archived 2011-07-20 at the Wayback Machine, SNNPR Bureau of Finance and Economic Development website (accessed 15 September 2009)
  2. ^ Census 2007 Tables: Southern Nations, Nationalities, and Peoples' Region Archived 2012-11-13 at the Wayback Machine, Tables 2.1, and 3.4.
  3. ^ 1994 Population and Housing Census of Ethiopia: Results for Southern Nations, Nationalities, and Peoples' Region, Vol. 1, part 1 Archived 2008-11-19 at the Wayback Machine, Tables 2.1, 2.12, 2.15, 2.19 (accessed 30 December 2008)

Coordinates: 6°50′N 37°30′E / 6.833°N 37.500°E / 6.833; 37.500