This article needs to be updated.(February 2015)
|Platform(s)||Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux|
|Release||November 21, 2014|
|Genre(s)||sandbox Space trading and combat simulator|
Kinetic Void is a sandbox space trading and combat simulator video game by developer Badland Studio, which was released on November 21, 2014. The developers claimed that when finished, Kinetic Void would let players take on the role of a space pilot trying to earn a living in the conflict between rival factions in a randomly generated galaxy, but in 2014 Art as Games called it "hollow, unfinished, and now abandoned by the developer" and used it as an example of a Steam Early Access game that promised far more than it could deliver.
Kinetic Void was released via Greenlight on Steam on November 30, 2012. The first alpha was distributed on Steam for Windows on 20 March 2013. The alpha for Mac and Linux went live on 25 April 2013.
Full development started shortly after the success of the Kickstarter, but Sean Pollman and Matthew Hardy started working on the back end of the game several months earlier. About four months before the kickstarter, a user of the SomethingAwful forum named SigmaX joined the team as the art director. Shortly afterwards Kevin Czajkowski joined as a 3D artist. SigmaX departed as the new studio he was working for had a non-compete contract. About a month after the success of the Kickstarter, Fernando Pires joined the team as a texture and visual effects artist.
Following full commercial release, Kinetic Void was critically panned by Steam users and games media sources alike.
More recent reviews on Steam indicate a lack of content and general dissatisfaction.
- Pollman, Sean (13 February 2013). "Last update on a release date". Archived from the original on 14 November 2013. Retrieved 24 February 2013.
- "Kinetic Void, Game Debate". Retrieved 24 February 2013.
- "what is Kinetic Void?". Archived from the original on 7 February 2013. Retrieved 24 February 2013.
- "Kinetic Void". Art as Games. November 21, 2014.
- "Successful Kickstarting". Retrieved 24 February 2013.
- "Kicktraq of KV". Retrieved 24 February 2013.
- "Kinetic Void on Steam Greenlight". Retrieved 24 February 2013.
- Wilkinson, Alex (30 November 2012). "The Greenlight for November". Archived from the original on 23 March 2013. Retrieved 24 February 2013.
- "Alpha announcement on Kiskstarter". 20 March 2013. Retrieved 21 March 2013.
- Pallman, Sean (25 April 2013). "Patch 0.010a Mac and Linux builds live". Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- Pollman, Sean (1 May 2012). "KV thread on somethingawful". Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- Rubin, Brian (1 December 2014). "Kinetic Void - Toss it Back in the Void". Retrieved 2 December 2014.