King's College, Guildford
|Principal||Mr Alastair McKenzie|
|DfE URN||141200 Tables|
|Ofsted||Reports Pre-academy reports|
|Houses||Orion, Hercules and Phoenix|
Blue : Orion , Red : Phoenix Purple: Hercules
The institution was built and opened by Surrey County Council as Park Barn School in the late 1950s. In 1991 the school was renamed King's Manor School to reflect the medieval until 16th century land ownership of this part of Guildford.
The year 2000 saw King's Manor School renamed King's College, Guildford under a 10-year management contract with a privately owned company, 3E's Enterprises. To improve performance, many teachers were changed and the school was refurbished.
The college established a sixth form in 2009, first rated in the 2011 Ofsted report: Good above the overall rating of the school in the same report: Satisfactory.
At the end of April 2012 Mrs Tracy Ward resigned as Principal after slightly more than three years after a protracted absence.
In September 2012 Kate Carriett became Principal and in October of the same year Ofsted reported overall that the school Required Improvement, finding leadership and management in the second-highest of its four simple categorisations, Good.
In 2005 4 house groups were created, these were: Green: Russell, Yellow: Newton, Blue: Austen, and Red: Franklin. When the school was originally opened (as Park Barn), the Houses were named after the royal palaces; in the same order: Balmoral, Buckingham, Windsor and Sandringham.
As part of the annual Christmas house quiz, staff at the school recorded their own version of the Band Aid song, "Do They Know It's Christmas" which went on to be one of December 2007's most popular videos on YouTube as well as raise money for Band Aid.
- 'The (medieval) borough of Guildford: Borough, manors, churches and charities' A History of the County of Surrey Volume 3, ed. H E Malden, London, 1911, pp. 560-570. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "School Website:About". Archived from the original on 2006-09-27. Retrieved 2007-02-15.
- "Kings College for the Arts and Technology Inspection report" (PDF). Ofsted. Ofsted. Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- "Examination of witnesses (Questions 100 -119)". UK Parliament. Select Committee on Education and Employment. Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- Ames, Les. "Letter to Parents/Carers" (PDF). School website. King's College. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "HONORARY REMEMBRANCER'S REPORT FOR THE MUNICIPAL YEAR 2012-13" (PDF). Guidford Council website. Guidford Council. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Kings College". Ofsted. Ofsted. Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- "KINGS COLLEGE COMMUNITY TRUST". AiHit. Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- Kings College Guildford tribute to Band Aid
- "Top of YouTube charts?" article in Surrey Advertiser 2007-12-19