King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre
مستشفى الملك فيصل التخصصي ومركز الأبحاث
|Location||Riyadh, Saudi Arabia|
|Affiliated university||Alfaisal University|
The King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre (Arabic: مستشفى الملك فيصل التخصصي ومركز الأبحاث) (KFSH&RC) is a 1589-bed tertiary/quaternary care and referral hospital based in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. It is the national referral center for oncology, organ transplantations, cardiac surgery, genetic diseases, and more.
KFSH&RC also maintains a facility in Jeddah.
Chief Executive Officer: Qasim Q. Al Qasabi, MD, FRCSI, FACS (since 2005)
- 1 Profile
- 2 Medical and clinical statistics
- 3 Areas of specialisation
- 4 Academic statistics
- 5 Research statistics
- 6 External links
KFSH&RC at a glance KFSH&RC was established in 1970 on a land donated by King Faisal Ibn Abdulaziz Al Saud and was officially opened in 1975 by King Khaled Ibn Abdulaziz Al Saud. From 1973 to 1985, the hospital was administered by the Hospital Corporation of America (HCA). In 1985, following a Royal Decree, the contract with HCA ended, and the responsibility for the administration and operation of the hospital’s premises was undertaken by a national team. Today, KFSH&RC also referred to as General Organization (Gen. Org.), is a state-of-the-art Joint Commission International (JCI)-accredited tertiary care hospital, with integrated medical research and academic facilities.
KFSH&RC has over 18,000 employees, of 65 different nationalities.
Medical and clinical statistics
2015 data (Riyadh)
- Total number of Consultants: 720
- Total # of beds: Riyadh: 1089 (Inpatient (ICU) Beds: 149 One-day Beds: 315)
- Inpatient days: 258,005
- Outpatient encounters: 952,696
- Laboratory tests: 12,899,525
- Radiology procedures: 262,139
- Total day procedures: 138,688
- Patients accepted:
- List of protocol patients: over 7,000
- Major surgery: 13,834
Areas of specialisation
KFSH&RC treats approximately 30% of the cancer cases in the Kingdom and 70% of all pediatric cancer cases
Total number of cancer cases treated as of 2013[update]: Approximately 70,000
Annual chemotherapy sessions(2015): 69,383
Annual Radiation therapy sessions(2015): 333,317
Center of Excellence in Oncology Clinical Research
Clinical trials as members of major international cooperative groups.
The Organ Transplant Program has the largest Renal Transplant Program in the region and it is the only program heavily involved in the desensitization of Human Leucocyte Antigen (HLA) and blood group A, B, and O (ABO) incompatible kidney transplantation. The Organ Transplant Centre is the only centre in the region performing invasive donor hepatectomy. The total number of transplants conducted in 2015 was 919 which include 233 Bone Marrow, 182 Kidney, 124 Liver, 30 Heart, 20 Lung, 7 Pancreas, 176 Adult Stem Cell, and 147 Pediatric Stem Cell transplants.
A globally recognized Heart centre for quality services in the areas of heart transplantation, mechanical heart assist devices for bridge to transplant or recovery, and high-risk open heart surgery in pediatric population and adults.
To ensure accessible health-care, the Department of Health Outreach delivers KFSH&RC services to patients, both those of KFSH&RC and those of the Ministry of Health (MOH) in their towns through Regional Coordination Offices (RCOs). These RCOs are distributed throughout KSA. Services as part of health outreach
- Appointments and associated services
- Blood Specimen Transfer Program (blood samples shipped from the region to KFSH&RC via express courier)
- Medical records, statement of visits, and discharge summaries
- Medication refills
- Regional monthly polyclinics
- Virtual clinics, where patients meet physicians remotely through the tele-medicine network
- Total number of outreach collaborating centers = 29
- Tele-ICU Centers: 27
- Number of surgeries conducted in collaborating centers = 402
- Telemedicine consultations = 965
- Patients seen through the collaborating centers: 2,396
The Fetal Diagnosis and Therapy Program
The Fetal Diagnosis and Therapy Program is the 1st and only comprehensive fetal program at the Middle East and Arab World offering diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to patients. Since its inception 2006-2007, the program have expanded its scope and services. The first ever performed fetal intervention regionally was done February 2008, and since, fetal interventions are offered to mothers with fetuses with indicated congenital anomalies. The program is recognized as the referral center for the Kingdom and Gulf States and many patients from different nationalities have been served.
Performed 333,317 procedures in 2015.
The Department of Medical Genetics in King Faisal Specialist Hospital & Research Centre is the main tertiary referral center for genetic diseases in the Kingdom serving a large population.
- Congenital immune deficiencies
- Among top 3 centers in the world by number of cases
- Pre-Implantation Genetic Diagnosis
- Comprehensive Epilepsy Program
- Movement Disorder Program
- Clinical Neurophysiology Laboratory
- Skull Base Surgery
- Stereotactic Epilepsy Surgery
- Brain Tumor
- Total number of Fellowship & Residency Programs = 90
- Total number of Fellows and Residents = 126 (2015)
- Two International Journals (with Annual Distribution)
- Annals of Saudi Medicine - Hematology/Oncology & Stem Cell Therapy
The Annals of Saudi Medicine
The Annals of Saudi Medicine is an internationally recognized medical journal that has worldwide distribution of over 14,500 copies. The Annals publishes scientific reports in medicine and surgery from contributors located primarily in the Middle East. It is among journals included in MEDLINE, the premier bibiographic database for the world's biomedical literatur. Emphasis is placed on matters relating to medicine in Saudi Arabia in particular, and the Middle East in general.
Primary Areas of Focus: Cancer, Biology, Infection & Immunity, Cardiovascular Research, Genetics, Diabetes, Stem Cell Biology, Molecular Medicine
- Research Scientists: 100
- Research Projects: 233
- Publications: 153 were approved by the Research Advisory Council
- Collaborating centers: 8 National and 2 International, (including WHO, Harvard and Mayo Clinic)
- Sponsoring agencies: 92 KFSH&RC, 8 KACST, 10 NCPST, 2 Pharmaceutical Companies, and 2 others