King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2021)
|King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre|
مستشفى الملك فيصل التخصصي ومركز الأبحاث
|Location||Riyadh, Saudi Arabia|
|Affiliated university||Alfaisal University|
As a tertiary referral hospital, it offers primary and highly specialized inpatient and outpatient medical care and participates in many clinical and research studies. It is consistently recognized as one of the nation's top hospital specializing in Oncology, Organ Transplantation, Cardiovascular Diseases, Neurosciences and Genetic Diseases. A large portion of the patient population are referrals from other hospitals from across Saudi Arabia as a whole and the surrounding regions. The hospital handles around 10,000 thousand outpatient visits each year and houses over 1,600 beds and has 28 health outreach centers. It has a staff of over 1,000 doctors with over 13,500 total employees of 67 different nationalities.
KFSH&RC was established in 1970 on land donated by King Faisal and was officially opened in 1975 by King Khalid. From 1973 to 1985, the hospital was administered by the Hospital Corporation of America (HCA). In 1985, following a Royal Decree, the contract with HCA ended and the responsibility for the administration and operation of the hospital's premises was undertaken by a national team.
The following are some key developments:
- In 1997, The King Fahd National Centre for Children's Cancer opened.
- In 2000, King Faisal Specialist Hospital & Research Centre – Jeddah Branch opened.
- In 2002, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre becomes a corporation.
- In 2018, The King Abdullah Centre for Cancer and Liver Diseases opened.
- In 2019, King Faisal Specialist Hospital & Research Centre – Madina branch opened.
- King Fahad died in August 2005.
- King Salman underwent surgery for his gallbladder in July 2020.
- Mohammad Bin Salman was admitted and underwent surgery for appendicitis in February 2021.
- "Saudi king dies". The Guardian. 2005-08-01. Retrieved 2021-06-02.
- "Saudi Arabia's King Salman leaves hospital after successful surgery: Statement". english.alarabiya.net. 2020-07-30. Retrieved 2021-06-02.
- "Saudi Crown Prince Muhammad Bin Salman leaves hospital after successful surgery for appendicitis". www.geo.tv. Retrieved 2021-06-02.