This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2021)
|King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre|
مستشفى الملك فيصل التخصصي ومركز الأبحاث
|Location||Riyadh, Saudi Arabia|
|Affiliated university||Alfaisal University|
|Speciality||Organ transplant and oncology|
As a tertiary referral hospital, it offers primary and highly specialized inpatient and outpatient medical care and participates in clinical and research studies. Overall, it has been ranked 600th globally. A large portion of the patient population are referrals from other hospitals from across Saudi Arabia as a whole and the surrounding regions.
KFSH&RC was established in 1970 on land donated by King Faisal and was officially opened in 1975 by King Khalid. From 1973 to 1985, the hospital was administered by the Hospital Corporation of America (HCA). In 1985, following a Royal Decree, the contract with HCA ended and the responsibility for the administration and operation of the hospital's premises was undertaken by a national team.
The following are some key developments:
- In 1997, The King Fahd National Centre for Children's Cancer opened.
- In 2000, King Faisal Specialist Hospital & Research Centre – Jeddah Branch opened.
- In 2002, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre becomes a corporation.
- In 2018, The King Abdullah Centre for Cancer and Liver Diseases opened.
- In 2019, King Faisal Specialist Hospital & Research Centre – Madina branch opened.
- In 2021, KFSH&RC was transformed into an independent not-for-profit organization.
- King Fahad died in August 2005.
- King Salman underwent surgery for his gallbladder in July 2020.
- Mohammad Bin Salman was admitted and underwent surgery for appendicitis in February 2021.
- "King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre * Ranking". www.scimagoir.com. Retrieved 2022-09-21.
- "Royal Order Transforms King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center into Independent Nonprofit Institution". Retrieved 2022-07-07.
- "Saudi king dies". The Guardian. 2005-08-01. Retrieved 2022-07-01.
- "Saudi Arabia's King Salman leaves hospital after successful surgery: Statement". english.alarabiya.net. 2020-07-30. Retrieved 2022-07-01.
- "Saudi Crown Prince Muhammad Bin Salman leaves hospital after successful surgery for appendicitis". www.geo.tv. Retrieved 2022-07-01.