|Godzilla film series character|
|First appearance||Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964)|
|Last appearance||Godzilla 2 (2018)|
|Created by||Tomoyuki Tanaka|
Thousand Year-Old Dragon
Grand King Ghidorah
King Ghidorah (キングギドラ Kingu Gidora?) , also known as Monster Zero, is a kaiju that first appeared in the Toho's 1964 film Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster. Although Toho officially trademarks the character as King Ghidorah the character is usually referred to as Ghidrah in English markets.
The initial idea for King Ghidorah came from Tomoyuki Tanaka, who also created Godzilla. Tanaka's inspiration came from an illustration of the Lernaean Hydra in a book about Greek Mythology, and the Eight-Headed Dragon of Japanese folklore, Orochi. Tanaka was enamored with the idea of Godzilla fighting a multi-headed serpent, but considered 7-8 heads to be excessive, with the number of heads being reduced to three.
The final version was an armless, three-headed dragon with large wings, two tails and of extraterrestrial origin. The monster costume itself was designed by Akira Watanabe, and worn by Shoichi Hirose, who also played King Kong in Toho's King Kong vs. Godzilla. Hirose walked hunched over inside the Ghidorah costume, holding a metal bar for balance, while puppeteers would control its heads, tails and wings off-camera like a marionette. Special effects were added as the creature is capable emitting destructive "magnetic force beams" from its mouths and generating hurricane-force winds from its wings.
Although usually portrayed as Godzilla's nemesis, the character's role was reversed in Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack.
Other characters based on Ghidorah (although quadruped in appearance) were featured in other Toho films: "Desghidorah" in Rebirth of Mothra and "Keizer Ghidorah" in Godzilla: Final Wars. In July 2014, Legendary Pictures confirmed to have obtained the rights to King Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan from Toho and plan to feature them in their sequel.
- Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964)
- Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965)
- Destroy All Monsters (1968)
- Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)
- Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)
- Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)
- Rebirth of Mothra III (1998)
- Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001)
- Godzilla 2 (2018)
- Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES - 1988)
- Godzilla / Godzilla-Kun: Kaijuu Daikessen (Game Boy - 1990)
- Godzilla 2: War of the Monsters (NES - 1991)
- Battle Soccer: Field no Hasha (SNES - 1992)
- Super Godzilla (SNES - 1993)
- Kaijū-ō Godzilla / King of the Monsters, Godzilla (Game Boy - 1993)
- Godzilla: Battle Legends (Turbo Duo - 1993)
- Godzilla: Monster War / Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters (Super Famicom - 1994)
- Godzilla Giant Monster March (Game Gear - 1995)
- Godzilla Trading Battle (PlayStation - 1998)
- Godzilla Generations: Maximum Impact (Dreamcast - 1999)
- Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee (GCN, Xbox - 2002/2003)
- Godzilla: Domination! (GBA - 2002)
- Godzilla: Save the Earth (Xbox, PS2 - 2004)
- Godzilla: Unleashed (Wii, PS2 - 2007)
- Godzilla Unleashed: Double Smash (NDS - 2007)
- Godzilla (PS3 - 2014 PS3 PS4 - 2015)
- Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)
- Godzilla Saves America: A Monster Showdown in 3-D! (1996)
- Godzilla 2000 (1997)
- Godzilla vs. the Robot Monsters (1998)
- Godzilla vs. the Space Monster (1998)
- Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters (2011)
- Godzilla: Gangsters & Goliaths (2011)
- Godzilla: Half-Century War (2012)
- Godzilla: Rulers of Earth (2013)
- Godzilla: Cataclysm (2014)
- Take Me To Your Leader is the second studio album by American hip hop artist Daniel Dumile (also known as MF DOOM) and was released under the alias "King Geedorah" on June 17, 2003. The cover features a figure very similar to the appearance of King Ghidorah.
- Rebirth of Mothra III Toho 1998
- "King Ghidorah Official Trademark". Toho. Retrieved September 12, 2014.
- "North American poster for GHIDRAH". Continental Releasing-1965. Retrieved September 12, 2014.
- "Ghidorah Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Toho. Retrieved September 12, 2014.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLGd5Nnl_Uw&list=UUU03keCaesfRWZPYV1FUxXw Teruyoshi Nakano interview
- David Kalat - Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster, Classic Media R1 DVD Audio Commentary
- King Ghidorah character profile - Godzilla Movie Studio Tour (PC Game), 1998
- Jeffries, Adrianne (July 26, 2014). "Gareth Edwards returns to direct 'Godzilla 2' with Rodan and Mothra". The Verge. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- Sullivan, Kevin P. (2014-08-14). "‘Godzilla 2′ Gets Release Date: ‘Let Them Wait’". MTV.
- "King Geedorah "Take Me To Your Leader"". HipHop-Elements.com. Retrieved 2014-06-23.