King Lear (2018 film)
by William Shakespeare
|Directed by||Richard Eyre|
|Music by||Stephen Warbeck|
|Country of origin||
|Running time||115 minutes|
|Original network||BBC Two|
28 May 2018 (BBC Two)|
28 September 2018 (Amazon Prime)
King Lear is a 2018 British-American television film directed by Richard Eyre. An adaptation of the play of the same name by William Shakespeare, cut to just 115 minutes, was broadcast on BBC Two on 28 May 2018. Starring Anthony Hopkins as the title character, the adaptation is set in an alternate universe 21st-century highly militarized London and depicts the tragedy that follows when the sovereign King Lear announces the end of his reign and the division of his kingdom among his three daughters.
Set in an alternate universe 21st-century highly militarized London, the sovereign King Lear calls his family together one evening in order for him to announce the division of his kingdom among his three daughters. The two elder daughters, Regan and Goneril, make open statements about their allegiance to and love for their father and receive each a share of the kingdom. The king's youngest daughter Cordelia, however, finds the act of making such a verbal statement overly superficial and declines to make a comparable declaration. As a result, she is refused her part of inheritance, which is now entirely divided between her two elder sisters, while Cordelia is left to her own devices to survive the end of her father's reign.
- Anthony Hopkins as Lear
- Emma Thompson as Goneril
- Emily Watson as Regan
- Jim Broadbent as Earl of Gloucester
- Florence Pugh as Cordelia
- Jim Carter as Earl of Kent
- Andrew Scott as Edgar
- John Macmillan as Edmund
- Tobias Menzies as Duke of Cornwall
- Anthony Calf as Duke of Albany
- Karl Johnson as Fool
- Christopher Eccleston as Oswald
- John Standing as Butler
In October 2017, the BBC commissioned a new adaptation of the Shakespeare play in a co-production with Amazon Studios. It stars Anthony Hopkins as the title character with Emma Thompson, Emily Watson and Florence Pugh as his daughters. Filming began in the same month in Stevenage, A first look image was distributed in February 2018.
- "Trailer: King Lear, King Lear - BBC Two". BBC.
- "Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson to Star in 'King Lear' for Amazon and BBC". hollywoodreporter.com.
- Elvery, Martin. "Stevenage filming: Sir Anthony Hopkins spotted as scenes shot for BBC's King Lear". thecomet.net.
- "First Look: Anthony Hopkins Stars as King Lear in BBC/Amazon Adaptation". hollywoodreporter.com.
- Kent Film Office. "Kent Film Office King Lear Article".
- Wollaston, Sam (28 May 2018). "King Lear review – Anthony Hopkins is shouty, vulnerable and absolutely mesmerising". the Guardian.
|This article related to a TV movie of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|