King Parrot (band)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
King Parrot performing in Dresden in 2016
|Labels||Agonia Records, Candlelight Records, Housecore Records, Impedance Records|
|Associated acts||The Berzerker, Blood Duster, Dreadnaught, Cockfight Shootout, Watchdog Discipline, Stiff Meat, Damaged, Headkase|
|Past members||Ed Bourke-Lacey |
Matt "Skitz" Sanders
(Trivia) it is known by a few people that Andrew "Squiz" Livingstone-Squires, before joining the band Fridge, his former band, won a Trace Elliot rig in the early 90's in Tasmania in a competition playing bass.
King Parrot formed in Melbourne in 2010 with the original line-up of Matt Young (vocals), Ed Lacey and Ari White (guitar), Wayne "Slattz" Slattery (bass) and drummer Matt Rizzo. White, Rizzo and Lacey had come directly from their previous band Watchdog Discipline, Slattery was a member of Warrnambool rock band Cockfight Shootout. Lacey had also been a member of The Berzerker for several years and Rizzo was formerly with Blood Duster.
After the release of The Stench of Hardcore Pub Trash EP in 2011, Lacey left King Parrot and was replaced by Andrew Livingstone-Squires, formerly of Dreadnaught and Cemetery Urn. The group recorded and independently released their debut full-length album Bite Your Head Off in 2012, which was picked up by UK based metal label Candlelight Records in 2013 for worldwide release. Shortly after the album's release Rizzo was replaced by Matt "Skitz" Sanders, formerly of Damaged but the band's heavy touring schedule meant he was replaced on overseas dates by Rob Brens of Alarum. King Parrot had by now established themselves as intense live act, and their unsettling sense of humour, most notably in their music video "Shit on the Liver", which was a finalist in the 2013 Australian Music Video Awards.
After extensive touring within Australia, supporting Obituary, Carcass and Thy Art Is Murder, King Parrot were invited to play a number of prominent music festivals including an appearance at the 2013 Hammersonic Jakarta International Metal Festival in Indonesia, Australia's Soundwave Festival and the 2014 SXSW in Austin, Texas, which was part of a 45-date North American tour. They later signed a management deal with Extreme Management Group in New York. Pantera and Down vocalist Phil Anselmo personally interviewed them on his Housecore Records YouTube channel.
In June 2014, at the end of their Australian tour with Carcass, it was announced that Todd Hansen, formerly of The Berzerker and Headkase, would be taking over from Sanders. In late 2014 King Parrot recorded their second album Dead Set at Anselmo's studio in Louisiana. It was released in May 2015 and peaked on the Australian albums chart at #21. Dead Set was nominated for an ARIA Award for Best Hard Rock or Heavy Metal Album that year but lost to Northlane's Node.
King Parrot toured Australian with Psycroptic and Revocation in early 2017, following which the band recorded their third album in Melbourne. Ugly Produce was released on September 22 and reached #21 on the ARIA chart. During October, the band toured the US with Superjoint and DevilDriver.
- Matthew "Youngy" Young – vocals (2010–present)
- Ari "Mr. White" White – guitar (2010–present)
- Andrew "Squiz" Livingstone-Squires – guitar (2012–present)
- Wayne "Slatts" Slattery – bass guitar (2010–present)
- Todd "Toddy" Hansen – drums (2014–present)
- Ed Bourke-Lacey – guitar (2010–2012)
- Mat Rizzo – drums (2010–2012)
- Matt "Skitz" Sanders – drums (2012–2014)
- Bite Your Head Off (Candlelight Records, 2012)
- Dead Set (Housecore Records, 2015) #21 AUS
- Ugly Produce (EVP Recordings, 2017) #21 AUS
- The Stench of Hardcore Pub Trash (Impedance, 2011)
|King Parrot||2015||Metal Hammer Golden Gods Awards - Best New Band||Nominated|
|Dead Set||2015||ARIA Awards - Best Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Album||Nominated|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to King Parrot.|
Official YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNBjcNF5kf4wqsialHMA01w?spfreload=10
Official Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/kingparrotband
Official Twitter page: https://twitter.com/KINGPARROTBAND
Reverbnation page: http://www.reverbnation.com/kingparrot
- XAVIER, TREY. "King Parrot Debut New Video for "Home Is Where The Gutter Is"". MetalSucks. Retrieved 16 February 2019.
- "Cherry Bar. AC/DC Lane". Fasterlouder.com. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "Live Reviews : Carcass & King Parrot @ 170 Russell, Melbourne 15/06/2014". Metalobsession.net. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "Psycroptic/King Parrot : The Bald Faced Stag, Sydney, 2 August 2013". Themetalforge.com. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "KING PARROT - Shit On The Liver". Youtube.com. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "King Parrot stops by Housecore HQ". Youtube.com. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "King Parrot announce new drummer". Killyourstereo.com. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "King Parrot Dead Set". www.australian-charts.com. Retrieved 23 October 2017.
- "King Parrot Ugly Produce". www.australian-charts.com. Retrieved 23 October 2017.
- 22 September 2017. "Ugly Produce | EVP Recordings". Bandcamp.
- "ARIA Australian Top 50 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association. 2 October 2017. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- "Metallhammer 2015 Best New Band". Metalhammer. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- "2015 ARIA Awards - Nominated artists revealed". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 24 March 2016.