King for a Day (Pierce the Veil song)
|"King for a Day"|
|Single by Pierce the Veil featuring Kellin Quinn|
|from the album Collide with the Sky|
|Released||June 5, 2012|
|Pierce the Veil singles chronology|
King for a Day is a song by American rock band Pierce the Veil released on June 5, 2012. It features guest vocals by Kellin Quinn of Sleeping with Sirens. It is the first official single from their third studio album Collide with the Sky (2012).
On August 6, 2012 an official music video was released. The song charted on Hot Rock Songs and the Digital Rock Songs charts, both published by Billboard. "King for a Day" was nominated for both Best Single and Best Video at the 2013 Kerrang! Awards.
Background and recording
The title of the song came from drummer Mike Fuentes. In an interview with Revolver, lead vocalist Vic Fuentes said he was impressed by the title. Together with Curtis Peoples and Steve Miller, Fuentes started to write the song lyrics in a small cabin in Big Bear Lake, California which became later a small recording studio.
Because of the fans, the band contacted Kellin Quinn of Sleeping with Sirens asking if he was interested in being featured on the song. They never met before but Fuentes decided to write to him on Twitter. Quinn decided to collaborate with Pierce the Veil. His vocal parts were recorded in a second studio. While producing the song, Pierce the Veil and Kellin Quinn wrote together via email.
This song is about getting pushed past the breaking point. In an interview, Fuentes stated he sometimes has too many things around his mind at once so he isn't able to control his mind or his body at times.
An official music video was directed by Drew Russ who would get involved later in their music video for "Bulls in the Bronx". On June 25, 2012 Alternative Press announced Pierce the Veil started working on a new music video. On August 2, 2012 the band published an official trailer for the music video. Four days later the video officially was premiered on Vevo.
The video portrays Vic Fuentes and Kellin Quinn as bankers. The bank manager Mr. Smalls asks both to stay in the bank overnight to correct the sales values. In doing this they discover that Mr. Smalls transferred more than two million dollars on a private bank in Switzerland (although it written as "Switerland" in music video) , which was most likely the reason for the pay cut the employees have forcibly taken a week before.
At the beginning of the second verse, Quinn and Fuentes meet with other people (played by the other band members of Pierce the Veil) who plan to rob the bank. In the chorus, Fuentes and Quinn enter the building in black suits. In the bridge, the gang arrive and get into the bank. Mr. Smalls is caught by a robber while all the bankers hide. The robbers get into the safe-deposit and start collecting the money in bags. When they're ready to flee, one of the robbers shoots at Mr. Smalls with a water gun at which point he realizes they have cheated him.
At the end of the video, the robbers celebrate their victory while Mr. Smalls is arrested due to tax evasion and sentenced to 25 years in prison, which was released on the news station the robbers watch during their celebration.
"King for a Day" was released as the first single of Collide with the Sky on June 5, 2012. On the same day a lyric-video was published on YouTube which got nearly 12 million views. On August 6, 2012 the official music video was released and has garnered nearly 100 million views as of August 28th, 2018.
The single charted on the U.S. Billboard Digital Rock Songs where it peaked at 29, and on the Hot Rock Songs chart with a peak of 45. The song also peaked at 28 in the UK Rock & Metal Singles Charts. In November 2014, the song was certified Gold by the RIAA for having sold more than 500,000 units in the U.S.
On May 12, 2015 it was revealed that "King for a Day" will be one of the playable songs in the video game Guitar Hero Live. It was also announced that King for a Day will be available for downloadable content for Rock Band 4 when pre-ordered digitally on Xbox One.
- Alternative Press Readers poll
- 2012: Best Single (won)
- Kerrang! Awards
- 2013: Best Video (won)
- 2013: Best Single (nominated)
|UK Rock and Metal (Official Charts Company)||28|
|US Hot Rock Songs (Billboard)||37|
- Revolver: Pierce the Veil Frontman Vic Fuentes Discusses New Song, “King for a Day,” Featuring Kellin Quinn of Sleeping With Sirens
- Sebastian Berning: Powemetal.de: PIERCE THE VEIL: INTERVIEW MIT VIC FUENTES (German)
- Michael Depland: MTV Buzzworthy: Go Behind The Scenes Of Pierce The Veil’s ‘Bulls In The Bronx’ Video Shoot! (PHOTOS) Archived 2013-07-06 at the Wayback Machine.
- Michele Bird: Alternative Press: Pierce The Veil shooting “King For A Day” video
- Michele Bird: Alternative Press: Pierce The Veil release “King For A Day” video preview
- Cassie Whitt: Alternative Press: Pierce The Veil post “King For A Day” video featuring Kellin Quinn (Sleeping With Sirens)
- Michele Bird: Alternative Press: Pierce The Veil release behind-the-scenes look at “King For A Day” video shoot
- Tyler Common: Alternative Press: Pierce The Veil release “King For A Day” lyric video featuring Kellin Quinn
- Charts: US Digital Rock Songs, US Hot Rock Songs, UK Rock & Metal Singles
- Tyler Sharp: Alternative Press: Pierce The Veil’s “King For A Day” certified Gold
- Daniel Kreps: Rolling Stone: Exclusive: Rolling Stones, Green Day Lead 'Guitar Hero Live' Set List
- Evan Campbell: IGN: PRE-ORDER ROCK BAND 4 DIGITALLY, GET A BUNCH OF FREE SONGS
- Rhian Jones: Musicweek: Kerrang! Awards 2013 - all the winners
- "Official Rock & Metal Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Pierce The Veil Chart History (Hot Rock Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved 11 January 2014.