List of Kings of Mide
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
In medieval Ireland, the Kings of Mide were of the Clann Cholmáin, a branch of the Uí Néill. Several were High Kings of Ireland. After the collapse of the kingdom in the 12th century its dynasty, the Ua Mael Sechlainn or Ó Melaghlins, were forced west and settled on the east bank of the Shannon. Bearers of the name were still noted as among the Gaelic nobility until as late as the 1690s, though they had lost any real power long before.
The Kingdom of Mide itself seems to have existed as a kingdom (though of varying sizes) since at least the early historic era. Its name means "middle", denoting the fact that it was situated in the very centre of Ireland in what is now County Westmeath, parts of north County Offaly, south County Longford and western County Meath. Its early kings may have been of the Dál Messin Corb - whose sept, the Uí Garrchon, were Kings of Leinster. However, from the late 400's onwards they were driven away from their original homeland in modern County Kildare and over the Wicklow Mountains by the Ui Néill, whose sept, the Clann Cholmáin, took their place.
Early Kings of Mide
Clann Cholmáin Kings of Mide
- Domnall Midi mac Murchado 743–763
- Fallomon mac Con Congalt (of Clann Cholmáin Bicc) ? to 766
- Donnchad Midi mac Domnaill 766–797
- Domnall mac Donnchada Midi 797–799
- Muiredach mac Domnaill Midi 799–802
- Diarmait mac Donnchado 802–803
- Conchobar mac Donnchado 803–833
- Niall mac Diarmato ???–826
- Máel Ruanaid mac Donnchada Midi 833–843
- Fland mac Maele Ruanaid 843–845
- Máel Sechnaill mac Maíl Ruanaid 845–22 November 862
- Lorcán mac Cathail 862–864
- Conchobar mac Donnchado ???–864
- Donnchad mac Aedacain 864–877
- Flann Sinna mac Maíl Sechnaill 877–25 May 916
- Conchobar mac Flainn 916–919
- Donnchad Donn mac Flainn 919–944
- Oengus mac Donnchada 944–945/946
- Donnchad mac Domnaill 945/946–950
- Fergal Got mac Oengussa c. 950–c.950
- Aed mac Mael Ruanaid c. 950–951
- Domnall mac Donnchada 951–952
- Carlus mac Cuinn 952–960
- Donnchad Finn mac Aeda 960–974
- Muirchertach mac Mael Sechnaill 974–c. 976
- Máel Sechnaill mac Domnaill 975/976–2 September 1022
- Mael Sechnaill Got mac Mael Sechnaill 1022–1025
- Roen mac Muirchertaig 1025–1027
- Domnall Got 1027–1030
- Conchobar ua Mael Sechlainn 1030–1073
- Murchad mac Flainn Ua Mael Sechlainn, Abbot of Clonard, allegedly king for three nights in 1073
- Mael Sechlainn Ban mac Conchobair Ua Mael Sechlainn 1073–1087
- Domnall mac Flainn Ua Mael Sechlainn 1087–1094
- Donnchad mac Murchada Ua Mael Sechlainn 1094–1105
- Conchobar mac Mael Sechlainn Ua Mael Sechlainn 1094–1105
- Muirchertach mac Domnaill Ua Mael Sechlainn 1105–1106
- Murchad mac Domnaill Ua Mael Sechlainn 1106–1153
- Mael Sechlainn mac Domnaill Ua Mael Sechlainn 1115
- Domnall mac Murchada Ua Mael Sechlainn 1127–1127
- Diarmait mac Domnaill Ua Mael Sechlainn 1127–1130
- Conchobar Ua Conchobair 1143–1144
- Donnchad mac Muirchertaig Ua Mael Sechlainn 1144–????
- Mael Sechlainn mac Murchada Ua Mael Sechlainn 1152–1155
- Donnchad mac Domnaill Ua Mael Sechlainn 1155
- Diarmait mac Domnaill Ua Mael Sechlainn 1155–1156
- Donnchad mac Domnaill Ua Mael Sechlainn 1156–1157
- Diarmait mac Domnaill Ua Mael Sechlainn 1157–1158
- Donnchad mac Domnaill Ua Mael Sechlainn 1158–1160
- Diarmait mac Domnaill Ua Mael Sechlainn 1160–1169
- Domnall Bregach mac Mael Sechlainn meic Domnaill Ua Mael Sechlainn 1169–1173
The Lords of Clonlonan
- Art mac Mael Sechlainn meic Domnaill Ua Mael Sechlainn 1173–1184
- Magnus Ua Mael Sechlainn ????–1175
- Mael Sechlainn Beg, 1184–1213
- Cormac mac Art O Melaghlain, 1213–1239
- Art mac Cormac, 1239–1283
- Cairbre, 1283–1290
- Murchadh mac Cairbre, 1290–93
- Cormac mac Cormac, 1293?–1301
- Cairbre an Sgregain, 1301?–1323
- Art Mór mac Cormac, 1323–1344
- Cormac Ballach mac Art, 1344–62
- Art mac Art Mór, 1362–85
- Conchobhar, 1385?–1401
- ?, fl. 1431.
- Art mac Conn?, died 1431
- Laighnech mac Corc, died 1487
- Conn mac Art mac Conn, 1487–1500
- Murchad mac Conn, died 1518.
- Toirrdelbach the Cleric, 1518–37.
- Art mac Conn, 1537–39
- Felim Óg mac Felim mac Conn, 1539–42
- Rudhraighe, 1542–43; died 1544
- Caedach mac Felim mac Conn, 1543–?
- Conn mac Art mac Conn, ?–1548
- Tadhg Ruadh mac Toirrdelbach, 1548–53?
- Murchad mac Toirrdelbach?, fl. 1547/49?
- An Calbhach, 1564–c. December 1600.
- Irriel, December 1600 – 10 April 1604.
- Phelim mac Irriel, born 1 August 1602, alive 1604.
Chiefs of the Name
- Cornelius Frederic McLoughlin, born 1897
- "Clann Cholmain Kings of Mide 766-1184", page 195-196 in "A New History of Ireland", Vol. IX, ed. Byrne, Martin, Moody, 1984.
- "Irish Leaders and Learning Through the Ages", Paul Walsh; ed. O Muraile, 2004.
- "King James II's Irish Army List", D'Alton, 18??