Kingdom of the Outlands
The Kingdom of the Outlands (herein referred to only as the Outlands) is the 12th Kingdom of the Society for Creative Anachronism. Kingdom lands encompass New Mexico, most of Colorado, parts of Wyoming, the Nebraska panhandle, El Paso County and the Hudspeth County in Texas. The Outlands are bordered on the west by the Kingdoms of Atenveldt and Artemesia, and on the east by the Kingdoms of Ansteorra, Calontir, and Northshield.
Martial activities in the Outlands cover a large range of combat related activities that include armored combat, fencing, archery (including both target archery and combat archery), thrown weapons (including spear, axe and knife), equestrian activities and siege warfare. Other activities in the SCA are included under arts and sciences of the Middle Ages.
The Kingdom of the Outlands and its constituent baronies and shires host many events throughout the year. Events regularly held in the Outlands include the annual Kingdom Arts and Sciences Competition, the annual Queen's Prize tournament, semi-annual Crown Tournaments, semi-annual Coronation events, and annual events such as Battlemeoor and Grand Outlandish Tournament.
Battlemoor is a week-long event held near Walsenburg, CO. First held on June 30, 2010, it is now the most popular event in the Outlands. The Grand Outlandish Tournament is a long weekend camping event hosted by the barony of Al-Barran near Albuquerque, New Mexico. Hosted by the Shire of Nahrun Kabirun near Ruidoso, NM, Clan Wars has become one of the kingdom's most colorful events, including an unarmed brawl in a tavern.
Estrella War is a week-long event hosted in the Kingdom of Atenveldt. Previously the Outlands has been a primary supporter of the war. Although it is outside of the Outlands, Estrella War continues to be a popular event for the kingdom.
The Outlands has ceremonial rulers chosen by winning tournaments (Kings/Queens, Princes/Princesses) in SCA armored combat. Barons and Baronesses are appointed by Royalty, although some baronies hold elections or competitions to choose their preferred Baron and/or Baroness. One of the primary functions of state for reigning monarchs is to recognize participant achievement through awards. Most awards denote excellence in a specific pursuit such as local service, arts and sciences, and combat. Some awards change the precedence and title of the recipient, giving him or her the privilege of being known as "Lord"/"Lady", "Baron", "Duchess", "Master", and so forth. High level awards are often given with the consultation of the other people who have received the award, such as peerages and consulting orders.
- Order of the Argent Heart (CAH): Given for excellence in the arts & sciences
- Order of the Argent Rose of the Outlands (CARO): Given for excellence in service to gentles 15 years of age or younger
- Order of the Argent Wyvern (CAWO):
- Order of the Azure Mullet of the Outlands (CAMO): Given for excellence in the arts to gentles 15 years of age or younger
- Brendon Swatko Award (CBS): Given for excellence in martial arts to gentles 15 years of age or younger
- Order of the Cordon Royal (BCR): Given for personal service to the King
- Order of the Fallen Snow (CFS): Given for expertise at the art of dying well
- Order of the Flower (OFO): Given for extraordinary skill in arts and/or sciences
- Order of the Golden Pheon (CGP): Given for excellence in the art of archery
- Order of the Iron Hart (TIH): Given for extraordinary skill in fighting arts
- Order of the Knights Pensioners of the Venerable Guard (PVG): Given for 30 years as a fighter
- Order of the Legion of Gallantry of the Outlands (CLG): Given for ideals of gallantry and courtesy
- Outlands Royal Menagerie (ORM): Given for canines who greatly enhanced the ambience of events
- Order of the Promise of the Outlands (CPO): Given for general service and mannerliness - children's award
- Order of the Queens Cypher (BQC): Given for personal service to the Queen
- Order of the Queens Grace (CGG): Given for courtliness and gentility
- Order of the Sharparrow (AIR): Given for extraordinary skill in the art and science of traditional archery
- Order of the Silver Lance (OSL): Given for skill and leadership in the equestrian arts
- Order of the Silver Stirrup (CSSO): Given for demonstration of skill & knowledge of equestrian arts
- Order of the Silver Tyne (DST): Given for excellence in the art of fence
- Order of the Stag (OSO): Given for serving the Kingdom well & faithfully, far above & beyond the service normally expected from a citizen of the Kingdom
- Order of the Stag's Blood (DSB): Given for use and artistry of SCA style weaponry
- Order of the Stag's Heart (CSH): Given for excellence in service
- Order of the Trefoil (CTO): Given for martial arts, arts and sciences, or service in a shire or college
- Order of the Velvet Tynes (CVT): Given for youth arts & sciences
- Order of the Venerable Guard (CVG): Given for 15 or more years of service in the martial arts
- Order of the Walker of the Way (CWW): Given for displaying the highest ideals and values in the SCA
- Order of the Watch Fire (CWF): Given for excellence in the art of archery
- Order of the White Scarf of the Outlands (DWS): Given for extraordinary skill in the art of fence
- The Known World Handbook. USA: The Society for Creative Anachronism. 1992. p. 246.
- Official page of the Kingdom of the Outlands