Kingsborough Community College
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|President||Claudia V. Schrader|
Kingsborough Community College (KBCC) is a community college in Brooklyn, New York. It is part of the City University of New York (CUNY) system and is the only community college in Brooklyn. Located in Manhattan Beach, the 71-acre (287,300 m2) campus overlooks Sheepshead Bay, Jamaica Bay, and the Atlantic Ocean. It is also located on the site of the old Sheepshead Bay Maritime Training Center for Merchant Marines, Coast Guard and Navy and the Manhattan Beach Air Force Station.
In its early years, it also had an annex, known as the "Mid-Brooklyn campus".
Kingsborough is the only college in New York City with its own private beach, which is open for swimming during the summer.
Kingsborough Community College teams participate as a member of the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA). The Wave is a member of the community college section of the City University of New York Athletic Conference (CUNYAC). Men's sports include baseball, basketball, tennis and track & field; while women's sports include basketball, tennis, track & field and volleyball.
Awards and rankings
- Kingsborough was identified as a 2019 Aspen Prize Top 10 Community Colleges by the Aspen Institute College Excellence Program
- Kingsborough was identified as an Aspen Prize Top 4 Community Colleges by the Aspen Institute College Excellence Program in 2013
- In 2011, the college was identified as one of the top 120 community colleges in the nation by the Aspen Institute College Excellence Program.
- In 2009, Kingsborough received the Diana Hacker TYCA Outstanding Program in English Award from the National Two-Year College English Association (TYCA)
- Kingsborough's "Eco-Festival" won the 2008 CUNY Sustainability Award for environmental education and advocacy
- Kingsborough received an award from the Center for Digital Education for "exceptional technology support to students and educators" in 2009
- In 2007, the college received a Brooklyn Buildings Award from the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce. The award recognizes "newly completed construction projects that have a positive impact on [Brooklyn's] economy and quality of life.
- Andrew Dice Clay, standup comedian & actor
- Pete Falcone, New York Mets pitcher
- Jeff Koinange, former CNN Africa correspondent
- Phillipe Nover, TUF 8 finalist and UFC fighter
- Sid Rosenberg, radio personality
- Larry Seabrook, former New York City Councilman
Notable current and past faculty
This section does not cite any sources. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Edward H. Bersoff, president, CEO & founder of BTG, Inc.
- Stanley G. Cohen, president of Five Towns College
- Eleanor Cory, composer
- Paul Goldberg, geologist
- Victor Gorelick, comic book editor & executive
- Dan Grimaldi, actor on the HBO TV series The Sopranos
- Fred Mitchell, artist
- Ursula Mamlok, composer
- Kilgannon, Corey (2008-05-21). "In Brooklyn, a College With Its Own Beach".
- "Aspen Institute: Kingsborough Community College (CUNY) Named One of Top Four Community Colleges in America by Aspen Institute; Chosen as Finalist-With-Distinction from More than 1,000 Nationwide – CUNY Newswire – CUNY".
- "Brooklyn's Kingsborough ranked third best community college in the nation".
- http://www.kbcc.cuny.edu/pr/Documents/KCC_Program_Award-4-7-09.pdf[permanent dead link]
- "Kingsborough Community College - ECO Festival".
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-06-19. Retrieved 2013-06-12.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- The City University of New York. "CUNY Events".[permanent dead link]
- Ray Johnson. "Eco-Festival: Kingsborough's Earth Tribute - Sheepshead Bay News Site". Sheepshead Bites. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- "2009 Digital Community Colleges Survey Winners Announced".
- http://www.kbcc.cuny.edu/pr/Documents/Village_Design_Award.pdf[permanent dead link]
- "Pete Falcone Pitching Statistics". The Baseball Cube. Archived from the original on February 23, 2010. Retrieved July 28, 2010.
- "Kingsborough Community College". Kbcc.cuny.edu. May 16, 2003. Archived from the original on September 6, 2010. Retrieved July 28, 2010.
- You're Wrong and You're Ugly: The Highs and Lows of a Radio Bad Boy by Sidney Rosenberg
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kingsborough Community College.|