Kingston Yacht Club
|Purpose||advocate and public voice, educator and network for recreational and competitive sailors, coaches, volunteers and events|
|Affiliations||Britannia Yacht Club, Royal Military College of Canada|
Kingston Yacht Club (KYC) is a private yacht club based in Kingston, Ontario. The stated objectives of the club are to encourage the building and sailing of yachts, skiffs and canoes; motor boating; rowing; canoeing and all aquatic and other sports among amateurs.
KYC was founded in 1896 from its first incarnation, the Kingston Ice Yacht Club, which was formed in 1895. Its first clubhouse building, a 40x40-foot two-story structure, was opened on August 3, 1896.
In 1906-7, Henry Patrick Smith designed a Kingston Yacht Club clubhouse at the foot of Maitland Street. The clubhouse was destroyed by fire in 1934.
The current clubhouse was erected in 1935 and officially opened by the Governor General of Canada, the Earl of Bessborough.
A firm founded by John Power designed 12 architectural drawings for Kingston Yacht Club showing elevations, floor plans, alterations and additions 1880-1953.
In 1991, Katherine Waugh wrote 'Setting the mark : the history of the Kingston Yacht Club.'
In 1996, Mariella C.C. Morrin edited 'Keep it simple sailor: easy cooking for people who love to eat by members of the Kingston Yacht Club.
As a Regional Training Centre for 2012, KYC supports the training of Athletes from the Grassroots to the National Team Level and supports the development of Coaches from Level 1 (CANSail 1&2) to Level 4-5.
The KYC has reciprocal agreements with many other yacht clubs. It is also home to the Queen's University varsity sailing team.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kingston Yacht Club.|
- http://dictionaryofarchitectsincanada.org/architects/view/1312 Henry Patrick Smith Dictionary of Architects in Canada
- http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/ourl/res.php?url_ver=Z39.88-2004&url_tim=2012-07-14T13%3A42%3A21Z&url_ctx_fmt=info%3Aofi%2Ffmt%3Akev%3Amtx%3Actx&rft_dat=3972364&rfr_id=info%3Asid%2Fcollectionscanada.gc.ca%3Apam&lang=eng John Power Library and Archives Canada
- http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/ourl/res.php?url_ver=Z39.88-2004&url_tim=2012-07-14T14%3A20%3A40Z&url_ctx_fmt=info%3Aofi%2Ffmt%3Akev%3Amtx%3Actx&rft_dat=893484&rfr_id=info%3Asid%2Fcollectionscanada.gc.ca%3Apam&lang=eng Royal Canadian Naval Reserve - Scheme for Training Yacht Club Members
- Katherine Waugh 'Setting the mark : the history of the Kingston Yacht Club.'(Kingston, Ont. : Quarry Press, 1991)
- Mariella C.C. Morrin edited 'Keep it simple sailor-- : easy cooking for people who love to eat'(Kingston, Ont. : Kingston Yacht Club, 1996)