|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Town and Capital|
Kingstown, Saint Vincent
|Nickname(s): "City Of Arches"|
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Country||Saint Vincent and the Grenadines|
|Time zone||Eastern Caribbean Time Zone (ECT) (UTC-4)|
Kingstown is the capital, chief port, and main commercial centre of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. With a population of 16,500 (2010), Kingstown is the most populous settlement in the country. It is the centre for the island's agricultural industry and a port of entry for tourists. The city lies within the parish of Saint George in the south-west corner of Saint Vincent.
The botanical garden, conceived in 1765, is one of the oldest in the Western hemisphere. William Bligh, made famous from the Mutiny on the Bounty, brought seed of the Breadfruit tree here for planting, ca 1793.
The town is surrounded by steep hills.
- Botanic Gardens St. Vincent: Located on the northern outskirts of Kingstown are the Botanical Gardens. Kingstown is overlooked by Fort Charlotte on the north side of town. It is located 190 m above sea level.
- "St Vincent and the Grenadines". The Commonwealth. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- "Kingstown". Wikimapia. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- http://www.bioversityinternational.org/index.php?id=21&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=531&tx_ttnews%5BbackPID%5D=%7Bpage:uid%7D&no_cache=1 Archived April 5, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Introducing Kingstown". Lonely Planet. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
- "Attractions:Kingstown". Frommer's. Retrieved 29 October 2013.