Kinnelon High School
|Kinnelon High School|
|121 Kinnelon Road
Kinnelon, NJ 07405
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Kinnelon Public Schools|
|Asst. principal||Scott Rosenberg
|Enrollment||684 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.3:1|
Dark green and|
|Athletics conference||Northwest Jersey Athletic Conference|
Kinnelon High School is a four-year comprehensive community public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades from Kinnelon in Morris County, New Jersey, United States, operating as the lone secondary school of the Kinnelon Public Schools.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 684 students and 60.5 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.3:1. There were 18 students (2.6% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 5 (0.7% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch. According to Public School Review, Kinnelon High School had 1% African American students, 2% Hispanic, and 3% Asian.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 20th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 5th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 21st in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 34th in the magazine's September 2008 issue, and 35th in the its September 2006 issue, both of which included 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school tied for 90th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (a decrease of 62 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (87.5%) and language arts literacy (96.5%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
In its listing of "America's Best High Schools 2016", the school was ranked 473rd out of 500 best high schools in the country; it was ranked 49th among all high schools in New Jersey and 32nd among the state's non-magnet schools.
The Kinnelon High School Colts compete in the Northwest Jersey Athletic Conference, which is made up of public and parochial high schools covering Morris County, Sussex County and Warren County, following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 500 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as North I, Group II for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 495 to 762 students in that grade range. Prior to the 2009-10 realignment, the school had competed in the Colonial Hills Conference.
The boys' tennis team won the Group I state title in 1980.
The girls' soccer team won the Group I state championship in 2006 (against Metuchen High School in the final game of the tournament) and in 2014 (vs. Shore Regional High School). In 2006, the team won the North I Group I tournament, defeating Cresskill High School by a score of 5-0 in the final game. The team then moved on to win the overall Group I state championship less than two weeks later, defeating Metuchen by a score of 2-1 in the championship game played at the The College of New Jersey, winning the school's first state championship in any sport in nearly 40 years.
In 2008, the girls soccer team became the first Group II school to win the Morris County Tournament championship. At the time it was considered to be an accomplishment that topped their previous year's state championship because the county tournament presented the challenge of much larger schools than they did during their run to the 2006 Group I state title. The following year, the team shared the county title with West Morris Central High School.
Also in 2008, the boys' soccer team won the North I, Group I championship, the first in the team's history, beating Wallington High School by a 4-1 margin in the sectional title game. The Colts then played then 9h-ranked Harrison to a 0-0 tie in the semi-final game, but Harrison advanced to the state finals on penalty kicks.
On March 22, 2008, the Kinnelon ice hockey team beat the Jefferson Township High School Falcons at the Prudential Center to win the Public B state tournament. The win was the team's first ever state championship.
The football team, which had been winless in all previous playoff games, won their first state championship in 2012, beating New Milford High School 26-14 to earn the state North I, Group II sectional title.
On November 14, 2014, Kinnelon quarterback Kyle Presti set a New Jersey state record, with nine touchdown passes in a 68-42 victory over Sussex Technical High School, breaking the previous record of eight that had been achieved twice since 2010.
In 2014, the girls soccer team defeated Park Ridge High School to win the North I, Group I sectional title. They then dispatched the favored Glen Ridge High School squad, winners of the two previous Group I titles, by a score of 2-1 to reach the Group I title game. Going into the finals as underdogs again, they beat the 2013 Group I co-champions, Shore Regional High School by a final score of 2-0 to win the school's second girls soccer state championship. It was a season in which the team had started at 4-4, but went on a 16-1 roll, to finish the season with a school record 20 wins.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Gary Suda - Principal
- Scott Rosenberg - Assistant Principal
- Vincent Shivas - Assistant Principal
- Kurt Allerman (born 1955, class of 1973), linebacker who played for nine seasons in the NFL, for the Green Bay Packers, Arizona Cardinals and Detroit Lions.
- Laura Benanti (born 1979, class of 1997), television, film and Tony-winning Broadway actress.
- Bryan Gallego (born 1993, class of 2011) professional soccer player.
- William A. Pailes (born 1952, class of 1970), astronaut who carried a school pennant into space aboard the Space Shuttle Atlantis on mission STS-51-J in 1985.
- Elise Testone (born 1983), singer and American Idol contestant.
- School data for Kinnelon High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Kinnelon High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed October 27, 2015.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed August 28, 2012.
- "2010 Top High Schools in New Jersey", New Jersey Monthly, September 2010, posted August 30, 2010. Accessed August 30, 2010.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2010-2011, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 1, 2012.
- Staff. "America's Best High Schools 2016", Newsweek. Accessed November 11, 2016.
- Streib, Lauren. "America's Best High Schools", The Daily Beast, May 6, 2013. Accessed May 9, 2013.
- Mathews, Jay. "The High School Challenge 2011: Kinnelon High School", The Washington Post. Accessed September 8, 2011.
- League Memberships – 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 27, 2016.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Home Page, Colonial Hills Conference, backed up by the Internet Archive as of November 19, 2010. Accessed November 25, 2014.
- History of Boys' Team Tennis Championship Tournament, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 16, 2016.
- 2015 Soccer Championships Program, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 16, 2016.
- 2006 Girls Soccer Tournament - North I, Group I Girls Varsity Soccer State Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 10, 2006.
- Kitchin, Mark. "Kinnelon duo shows toughness in final", Daily Record (Morristown), November 24, 2006. Accessed November 25, 2014.
- 2007 Girls Basketball - North I, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed July 25, 2007.
- Morett, Chris. "Kinnelon (0) at Randolph (2), Morris County Tournament, Final Round - Girls Soccer", The Star-Ledger, November 12, 2011. Accessed March 2, 2012. "Randolph took the field in the Morris County Tournament as the historical power, boasting more county tournament titles than any other school but in the midst of a drought since 2000. Its opponent Kinnelon won back-to-back championships in 2008 and 2009. Kinnelon also was part of the reason for Randolph's dry spell, defeating Randolph in the 2008 final and bouncing Randolph in the quarterfinals last year."
- Kitchin, Mark. "West Morris turned things around", Daily Record (Morristown), December 17, 2009. Accessed March 1, 2012. "The Wolfpack earned victories against Morris Hills, Mendham (in double overtime) and Roxbury before rallying to a draw with Kinnelon in the championship game."
- Staff. "Kinnelon 4, Wallington 1 (High school Boys Soccer scores & results)", The Star-Ledger, November 14, 2008. Accessed November 26, 2014. "Devin Cavagnaro scored three goals when Kinnelon defeated Wallington, 4-1, yesterday for the championship of the NJSIAA/MAC Testing North Jersey, Section 1, Group 1 tournament yesterday in Kinnelon. The sectional title was the first in program history for Kinnelon (18-4), which has won seven straight and 16 of its last 17 games."
- Reilly, Sean. "Harrison 1, Kinnelon 0 (High school Boys Soccer scores & results)", The Star-Ledger, November 18, 2008. Accessed November 26, 2014. "Diaz made the game-ending save in the seventh round and also connected twice as his team's shooter, in the third and seventh round, as Harrison, No. 9 in The Star-Ledger Top 20, gained a 1-0 victory over Kinnelon in the semifinals of the NJSIAA/MAC Testing Group 1 tournament last night at Ridge High in Basking Ridge."
- 2008 Ice Hockey Tournament - Public B, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed March 23, 2008.
- Hague, Jim. "Kinnelon captures state championship", Daily Record (Morristown), March 23, 2008. Accessed March 23, 2008. "It marked the first state championship for Kinnelon (24-2-2), which only initiated a hockey program less than a decade ago."
- HISTORY OF THE NJSIAA BOYS' LACROSSE CHAMPIONSHIPS, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 22, 2016.
- Bernstein, Jason. "Football: Kinnelon wins first title with 26-14 victory over New Milford", The Star-Ledger, December 8, 2012. Accessed November 25, 2014. "Kinnelon used the two-way ability of Robbins, the sure hands of fellow four-year starter Sean Walsh, and an opportunistic defense to earn its first ever state championship with a 26-14 victory over New Milford in the NJSIAA North Jersey, Section 1, Group 2 final at Kean University in Union. Kinnelon (9-3) had never won a state playoff game before this year."
- Goldberg, Jeff. NJSIAA Football Playoff Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 19, 2015.
- Kratch, James. "Football: Kinnelon's Kyle Presti breaks state record with 9 TD passes in consolation game win", NJ Advance Media for NJ.com, November 15, 2014. Accessed November 26, 2014. "Kinnelon quarterback Kyle Presti made history on Saturday in the Colts' 68-42 consolation game victory over Sussex Tech, setting a new state record for touchdown passes in a single game. Presti completed 22-of-31 passes for 501 yards and nine touchdowns, breaking the previous state record of eight touchdown passes in a game."
- Schneider, Jeremy. "Girls Soccer: Group 1 semifinal preview — Glen Ridge vs. Kinnelon", NJ Advance Media For NJ.com, November 18, 2013. Accessed November 25, 2014. 'Glen Ridge has long been one of the strongest programs in Group 1, and it has won at least a share of the state title in the past two seasons."
- Olivero, Antonio. "Girls Soccer: Group 1 final preview, Shore vs. Kinnelon", NJ Advance Media For NJ.com, November 21, 2014. Accessed November 27, 2014.
- Meisel, Dave. "H.S. girls soccer: Kinnelon seniors cap careers with title", The Record (Bergen County), November 22, 2014. Accessed November 25, 2014. "Unlike in any of the Colts' games in this tournament, Kinnelon dominated Shore Regional for 80 minutes at Kean University and took the Group 1 title, 2-0, completing a 20-win season."
- Staff Directory, Kinnelon High School. Accessed October 27, 2015.
- Laplaca, Bryan. "Back in the Day - May 8, 1977: Locals drafted by NFL", Suburban Trends, May 14, 2012. Accessed February 2, 2017. "Kurt Allerman of Kinnelon was picked in the third round by the St. Louis Cardinals and Ed Fulton of Sparta was selected in the same round."
- Lefkowitz, David. "PLAYBILL ON-LINE'S BRIEF ENCOUNTER with Laura Benanti", Playbill, May 11, 1999. Accessed May 9, 2013. "Just a year ago, if you looked at the bio for Laura Benanti in the Playbill for The Sound of Music, you'd have seen this: '(Ensemble / understudy Maria). 1997 graduate, Kinnelon High School.'"
- Cohn-Sheehan, Ariana. "Kinnelon Athletes Sign Letters of Intent; Three Kinnelon High School students sign letters of intent to play sports in college.", Tri-Boro Patch, February 4, 2011. Accessed August 7, 2015. "From left to right, Kyle Robbins agreed to play football at College of the Holy Cross, Hannah Steadman agreed to play soccer at University of Tennessee on a full scholarship, and Bryan Gallego agreed to play soccer at the University of Akron on a full scholarship."
- William A. Pailes, NASA. Accessed August 28, 2012. "Born June 26, 1952, in Hackensack, New Jersey, but considers Kinnelon, New Jersey, to be his hometown.... Graduated from Kinnelon High School, Kinnelon, New Jersey, 1970."
- Kolton, Tara. "Kinnelon grad singing her way to the top", Suburban Trends, February 20, 2012. Accessed April 3, 2012. "Kinnelon native Elise Testone has made it to the top 40 finalists of American Idol's season 11. Testone, a 2001 graduate of Kinnelon High School (KHS), endured several tough rounds of cuts in Hollywood to make it to Idol's top 40 during the Las Vegas round, which aired on Thursday night on FOX."
- Kinnelon High School
- Kinnelon Public Schools
- Kinnelon Public Schools's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Kinnelon Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics