|Sleeping dwarf two-horned chameleon
Tilbury, Tolley and Branch, 2006
Kinyongia (derived from the species' name in Kiswahili language) is a chameleon genus recently established for several plesiomorphic species found in forest and woodland in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, and far eastern DR Congo. All except K. adolfifriderici and K. tavetana are restricted to highlands and many have very small distributions. In most, at least the males have horns or knobs on their noses. They were erroneously placed into Bradypodion for some time. It has recently been pointed out that the ending to the specific epithet in several of the below listed species should be modified to match the feminine genus name.
- Ituri chameleon, K. adolfifriderici
- Mount Nyiro bearded chameleon, K. asheorum
- Boehme's chameleon, K. boehmei
- Carpenter's chameleon, K. carpenteri
- Mt. Kenya hornless chameleon, K. excubitor
- Lendu chameleon, K. gyrolepis
- Fischer's chameleon, K. fischeri
- Magombera chameleon, K. magomberae
- Giant monkey-tailed east Usambara two-horned chameleon, K. matschiei
- West Usambara two-horned chameleon, K. multituberculata
- Sharp-nosed chameleon, K. oxyrhina
- Dwarf two-horned chameleon, K. tavetana
- Usambara soft-horned chameleon, K. tenuis
- Uluguru two-horned chameleon, K. uluguruensis
- Hanang hornless chameleon, K. uthmoelleri
- Van Heygen's chameleon, K. vanheygeni
- East Usambara two-horned chameleon, K. vosseleri
- Strange-nosed chameleon, K. xenorhina
- "Some Important Changes in the Systematics of Bradypodion. Kinyongia is derived from the species name in Kiswahili language". Chameleons Online E-Zine. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
- Klaver, C.J.J. & Böhme, W. (1986): Phylogeny and classification of the Chamaeleonidae (Sauria) with special reference to hemipenis morphology. Bonner Zoologische Monographien 22: 1–64.
- Tolley, Krystal A.; Tilbury, Colin R. & Branch, William R. (2004): Phylogenetics of the southern African dwarf chameleons, Bradypodion (Squamata: Chamaeleonidae). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 30: 354–365. doi:10.1016/S1055-7903(03)00211-2 PDF fulltext
- Tolley, Krystal A.; Tilbury, Colin R. & Branch, William R. (2007): Corrections to species names recently placed in Kinyongia and Nadzikambia (Reptilia: Chamaeleonidae). Zootaxa 1426: 68.
- Necas, P., R. Sindaco, K. Ludék, J. Kopečná, P. K. Malonza, D. Modrý (2009): Kinyongia asheorum sp. n., a new montane chameleon from the Nyiro Range, northern Kenya (Squamata: Chamaeleonidae). Zootaxa: 41-50.
|This chameleon article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|