Kiran Rao at DK Bose song success bash
7 November 1973 |
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
|Alma mater||Sophia College for Women
Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
|Occupation||Director, producer, screenwriter|
|Spouse(s)||Aamir Khan (m. 2005)|
|Children||Azad Rao Khan|
|Relatives||Aditi Rao Hydari (cousin)|
Kiran Rao is an Indian film producer, screenwriter and director.
Rao was born into a Telugu family from Telangana on 7 November 1973. Her grandfather was J. Rameshwar Rao, Raja of Wanaparthy, Wanaparthy district, Telangana state. She was raised in Kolkata where she attended Loreto House. In 1992, her parents decided to leave Kolkata so she moved to Mumbai. She graduated with an economics major from the Sophia College for Women in 1995. She attended the Social Communications Media course at the Sophia Polytechnic for two months, but then quit and left for Delhi. She got her Masters at AJK Mass Communication Research Center at Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi. Actress Aditi Rao Hydari is Rao's first cousin.
Rao started her career as an assistant director in the epic film Lagaan directed by Ashutosh Gowariker, whom she also assisted later on Swades: We, the People. Lagaan was nominated for 74th Academy Awards in the foreign language film category. Aamir Khan produced and starred in the same film. Before Lagaan, she has also done minute role of supporting actress in Dil Chahta Hai. She also worked as second assistant director with Academy Award nominated director Mira Nair on the indie hit Monsoon Wedding.
Kiran Rao was made the chairperson of the Mumbai Film Festival - MAMI in 2015.
Rao married actor Aamir Khan in December 2005, after Khan divorced his first wife Reena Dutta in 2002. They met on the sets of Lagaan. Rao was one of the film's assistant directors. They now live in Bandra, a Mumbai suburb. The couple have a son, Azad Rao Khan (born on 5 December 2011), who has been named after Abul Kalam Azad. She is an Atheist.
Rao has been a life-long vegetarian, and she has influenced her husband, Aamir Khan, to turn vegetarian as well. After discussing the issue, both of them decided to turn Vegan, and although Rao had been taking milk products and honey during her vegetarian days, she gave it up following the discussion and agreement with her husband.
Rao and actor Aditi Rao Hydari are first cousins. Hydari is Rao's father's sister's daughter. Rao's paternal and Hydari’s maternal grandfather, J. Rameshwar Rao, was the Raja of Wanaparthy, a large estate under the Nizam of Hyderabad. Wanaparthy is a district of Telangana.
- Lagaan: Once Upon A Time in India (2001)
- Monsoon Wedding (2001)
- Saathiya (2002)
- Swades: We, the People (2004)
- Taare Zameen Par (2007) (associate producer)
- Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na (2008) (associate producer)
- Peepli Live (2010) (producer)
- Dhobi Ghat (2011) (producer)
- Delhi Belly (2011) (producer)
- Talaash (2012) (producer)
- Dangal (2016) (producer)
- Secret Superstar (2017) (producer)
- Ship Of Theseus (2013)
- "Aamir surprises Kiran on birthday". Filmibeat.com. 10 November 2008. Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- Gupta, Pratim D. (3 December 2010). "She's the one!". The Daily Telegraph. Calcutta, India. Retrieved 2 May 2011.
- 2010 Films - Dhobi Ghat Archived 24 August 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Dear Mr. Subhash Ghai, my name is Kiran Rao". Tehelka Magazine. 22 January 2011.
- "The little known Bollywood debut of Kiran Rao in Dil Chahta Hai". Pinkvilla. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- Kiran Rao
- "Aamir is a dream producer: Kiran Rao". The Times of India. Retrieved 21 January 2011.
- "India's Aamir Khan and Kiran Rao Talk Dhobi Ghat, Art, Love and Career". UrbLife.com. 2 February 2011.
- "Hope to make space for indie film distribution at MAMI: Kiran Rao". The Indian Express. 2015-06-30. Retrieved 2016-12-19.
- "Grand reception for Aamir Khan-Kiran Rao wedding". Archived from the original on 22 February 2007.
- "Baby boy for Aamir Khan, Kiran Rao". Archived from the original on 6 December 2011.
- "Aamir made me open to different points of view: Kiran Rao - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "AAMIR GOES THE VEGAN WAY!". Mumbai Mirror. 11 March 2015. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- "Recently Turned Vegan Aamir Khan To Judge 'MasterChef India 4' Finale?". The Huffington Post. IANS. 15 March 2015. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- "Aamir Khan quits non-vegetarian food, turns vegan". The Indian Express. Express News Service. 11 March 2015. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- "Aamir's wife Kiran has roots in Telangana". Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- "Kiran, Aditi Rao’s first cousin, has Telangana link". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 2015-11-26.
- Chawla, Sonal (2009-02-23). "Aamir Khan's wife Kiran Rao's directorial debut, Dhobi Ghaat's shoot stuck". Mid Day. Retrieved 2016-08-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kiran Rao.|