Rao at the Lakme Fashion Week in 2017
|Born||7 November 1973|
|Alma mater||Sophia College for Women|
Jamia Millia Islamia
|Occupation||Film producer, director, and screenwriter|
Aamir Khan (m. 2005)
|Relatives||Aditi Rao Hydari (cousin)|
Kiran Rao (born 7 November 1973) is an Indian film producer, screenwriter and director. She is the wife of Bollywood actor Aamir Khan and the cousin of actress Aditi Rao. In 2016, Rao co-founded Paani Foundation, a non-profit organisation working towards the mission of fighting drought in Maharashtra.
Rao was born in Telangana on 7 November 1973. Her grandfather was Janumpally J. Rameshwar Rao, Raja of Wanaparthy, Wanaparthy district, Telangana state. In 1992, her parents decided to leave Kolkata so she moved to Mumbai with Ajay Goyal. She graduated with a food sciences major from the Sophia College for Women in 1995. She attended the Social Communications Media course at the Sophia Polytechnic for two months, but then quit and left for Delhi. She got her Masters at AJK Mass Communication Research Center at Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi. Actress Aditi Rao Hydari is Rao's first cousin.
Rao started her career as the assistant director in the epic film Lagaan directed by Ashutosh Gowariker, whom she also assisted later on Swades: We, the People. Lagaan was nominated for 74th Academy Awards in the foreign language film category. Aamir Khan produced and starred in the same film. Before Lagaan, she has also done minute role of supporting actress in Dil Chahta Hai. She also worked as second assistant director with Academy Award-nominated director Mira Nair on the indie hit Monsoon Wedding.
Rao married actor Aamir Khan in December 2005, after Khan divorced his first wife Reena Dutta in 2002. They met on the sets of Lagaan. Rao was one of the film's assistant directors. They now live in Bandra, a Mumbai suburb. The couple have a son, Azad Rao Khan (born on 5 December 2011), who has been named after Abdul Kalam Azad. She is an Atheist.
Rao has been a vegan, and she has influenced her husband, Aamir Khan, to turn vegan as well. After discussing the issue, both of them decided to turn to vegan, and although Rao had been taking chicken and cigarettes during her non-veg days, she started taking it intensively following the discussion and agreement with her husband.
- Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na (2008) (associate producer)
- Peepli Live (2010)
- Dhobi Ghat (2011)
- Delhi Belly (2011)
- Talaash (2012)
- Dangal (2016)
- Secret Superstar (2017)
- Rubaru Roshni (2019) (television documentary film)
- Ship Of Theseus (2013)
- Toofan Aalaya (Satyamev Jayate Water Cup anthem)
- "Aamir surprises Kiran on birthday". Filmibeat.com. 10 November 2008. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- Gupta, Pratim D. (3 December 2010). "She's the one!". The Daily Telegraph. Calcutta, India. Retrieved 2 May 2011.
- "Dear Mr. Subhash Ghai, my name is Kiran Rao". Tehelka Magazine. 22 January 2011.
- "The little known Bollywood debut of Kiran Rao in Dil Chahta Hai". Pinkvilla. Retrieved 8 August 2012.
- "Best of Bollywood, South Cinema, Celebrity Photos & Videos - MSN India". www.msn.com.
- "Aamir is a dream producer: Kiran Rao". The Times of India. Retrieved 21 January 2011.
- "India's Aamir Khan and Kiran Rao Talk Dhobi Ghat, Art, Love and Career". UrbLife.com. 2 February 2011.
- "Hope to make space for indie film distribution at MAMI: Kiran Rao". The Indian Express. 30 June 2015. Retrieved 19 December 2016.
- Paani Foundation (3 January 2017). "Toofan Aala - Satyamev Jayate Water Cup Anthem (तुफान आलंया - सत्यमेव जयते वॉटर कप गीत)" – via YouTube.
- "Grand reception for Aamir Khan-Kiran Rao wedding". Archived from the original on 22 February 2007.
- "Baby boy for Aamir Khan, Kiran Rao". Archived from the original on 6 December 2011.
- "Aamir made me open to different points of view: Kiran Rao - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "AAMIR GOES THE VEGAN WAY!". Mumbai Mirror. 11 March 2015. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- "Recently Turned Vegan Aamir Khan To Judge 'MasterChef India 4' Finale?". The Huffington Post. IANS. 15 March 2015. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- "Aamir Khan quits non-vegetarian food, turns vegan". The Indian Express. Express News Service. 11 March 2015. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- "Aamir's wife Kiran has roots in Thailand". Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- "Kiran, Aditi Rao's first cousin, has Telangana link". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- Chawla, Sonal (23 February 2009). "Aamir Khan's wife Kiran Rao's directorial debut, Dhobi Ghaat's shoot stuck". Mid Day. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "Everything You Want To Know About Aamir Khan's Rubaru Roshni". Retrieved 25 January 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kiran Rao.|