For other uses of "Kiran", see Kiran
Kiran (Marathi: किरण) is a free Devanagari typeface and a non-Unicode clip font created by Kiran Bhave first released in 1999.
In 1999 Kiran Bhave could not find a suitable font for typing Marathi that was free after considerable searching. Thus, he was inspired to create a new typeface.
The keyboard layout is an enhanced version of the Shivaji typeface and have the same keyboard layout. The typeface is used create websites using the Devanagari script.
Kiran Bhave (Marathi: किरण भावे) is from Sanpada (East), Navi Mumbai.
- 1999: kiran.ttf was created
- 2000: The amruta.ttf and aarti.ttf fonts were created
- 2001: The Kiran Font website was registered
- 2004: KF-Kiran.ttf, KF-Amruta.ttf, KF-Aarti.ttf, KF-Aditya.ttf, KF-Arun.ttf, KF-Mitra, KF-Ravi were made available for a fee
- 2006: The ability to pay using PayPal was added
- 2008: KF-Kiran.ttf, KF-Amruta.ttf, KF-Aarti.ttf became free. Support for kiran.ttf, amruta.ttf, and aarti.ttf was discontinued to provide a consistent keyboard layout for free and paid users
- 2010: A free tool to convert text from Unicode to the Kiran font was made available
- 2012: The Indian Rupee Currency Symbol was added in all the fonts. The character is mapped at ASCII 0226 (Alt+0226) and its official Unicode codepoint U+20b9
- 2012: KF-Prachi.ttf, KF-Jui.ttf were released as free fonts
- 2012: KF-Bhaskar.ttf was released for a fee
- 2013: An offline version of the conversion tool was released
- 2013: The conversion tool was made bi-directional
- ^ a b "Marathi Typing Keyboard | Kiran | Inscript | Phonetic Keyboard.html". Marathi Typing. Archived from the original on 26 June 2014. Retrieved 2 December 2014.
- ^ a b c d "Welcome to Kiranfont.com". Kiran Fonts. 18 January 2012. Archived from the original on 2 December 2014. Retrieved 30 November 2014.