Serebrennikov at the Venice Film Festival
Kirill Semyonovich Serebrennikov
7 September 1969
|Alma mater||Rostov State University|
|Occupation||Stage and film director|
|Years active||Since 1994|
Kirill Semyonovich Serebrennikov (Russian: Кирилл Семёнович Серебренников, born September 7, 1969) is a Russian stage and film director, and theatre designer. Since 2012, he has been the artistic director of the Gogol Center in Moscow. He has been described as one of Russia's leading theatre directors.
Life and career
Serebrennikov was born to a Jewish father and a Ukrainian mother. His father was a surgeon, while his mother was a Russian teacher. Having graduated from Rostov State University with majors in physics in 1992. Serebrennikov had no formal theatre education prior to his stage director debut in 1994. He went on directing music videos and commercials.
In 2001, he staged his first production in Moscow. Serebrennikov has staged drama productions in Moscow Chekhov Theatre, Latvian National Theatre, Theatre of Nations. He has been active in opera staging productions for the Mariinsky Theatre, and the Bolshoi Theatre in Russia, where he has also been a stage director and a designer for a ballet, Komische Oper Berlin and Stuttgart Opera in Germany.
Serebrennikov is one of the artistic directors of Territory Festival in Moscow. Since 2008 he is a professor of the Moscow Art Theatre School, where he has a class of actors and directors. His productions have been presented at the Wiener Festwochen, and the Avignon Theatre Festival. His films have been screened at Cannes Film Festival, Locarno Film Festival, Rome Film Festival, and the Warsaw International Film Festival where his film Yuri's Day received the Grand Prix.
On May 23, 2017, Serebrennikov's apartment and the Gogol Center facilities were raided by law enforcement agencies in connection with an alleged embezzlement at the Seventh Studio, a non-profit organization established by Serebrennikov. While no charges against Serebrennikov have been filed, some of Russia's most prominent cultural figures saw the publicized raid of his apartment as a political gesture, discouraging Serebrennikov and others from criticizing the government. (Serebrennikov had criticised the 2014 Russian annexation of Crimea and has spoken out in support of Russia’s LGBT community.) Vladimir Urin, and Yevgeny Mironov, among others, in May 2017 expressed their support of Serebrennikov in a letter passed on to Russian President Vladimir Putin at a public function.
On August 22, 2017, Serebrennikov was detained by the Investigative Committee of Russia, suspected of masterminding a fraud scheme involving a state subsidy the Seventh Studio received from the government of Russia from 2011 to 2014. According to a source cited by Interfax, in the case of “Gogol-center” the alleged theft of 2014 budget funds caused damage to the state valued at several million dollars. Other sources say a total of just over one million rubles. Serebrennikov has been placed under house arrest until October 19. Seventh Studio former director Yuri Itin has already been placed under house arrest since May 31, 2017. Ex-chief accountant of Seventh Studio, Nina Maslyaeva, gave confessions and has been held in custody since then.
- Undressed (1998)
- Ragin (2004)
- Playing the Victim (2006)
- Yuri's Day (2008)
- Crush : 5 Love Stories (2009)
- Betrayal (2012)
- The Student (2016)
- Summer (2018)
- "Kirill Serebrennikov – Russiapedia Cinema and theater Prominent Russians". russiapedia.rt.com. Retrieved 2016-08-25.
- E.W. (28 Aug 2017). "The White House has become a cultural wasteland". The Economist.
- "ТЕРРИТОРИЯ // Kirill Serebrennikov". territoryfest.com. Retrieved 2016-08-25.
- "People". bolshoi.ru. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- Cappelle, Laura (2015-07-23). "A Hero of Our Time, Bolshoi Ballet, Moscow — review". Financial Times. ISSN 0307-1766. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- ""Salome" an der Stuttgarter Staatsoper: Tage des Terrors | Kultur Info | SWR2" (in German). Retrieved 2016-08-25.
- oe1.orf.at. "Serebrennikow inszeniert "Tote Seelen"". Retrieved 2016-08-25.
- "Kirill Serebrennikov - Festival d'Avignon". www.festival-avignon.com. Retrieved 2016-08-25.
- "Uchenik by Kirill Serebrennikov - Festival de Cannes 2016". www.festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2016-08-25.
- "МХТ им. А. П. Чехова: Кирилл Серебренников". mxat.ru. Retrieved 2016-08-25.
- "Kirill Serebrennikov". en.gogolcenter.com. Retrieved 2016-08-25.
- Nechepurenko, Ivan (2017-05-24). "Police Raids Targeting Moscow Director Set Off Fears of a Crackdown". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- "Machine Against the Stage: Authorities Target Edgy Theater Director". Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- Bennetts, Marc; agencies (2018-01-16). "Russian film stars offer support to director in fraud case". The Guardian. Retrieved 2018-01-17.
- "Евгений Миронов передал Путину письмо в защиту Кирилла Серебренникова — Meduza". Meduza (in Russian). Retrieved 2017-05-25.
- В квартире режиссера Кирилла Серебренникова и «Гоголь-центре» проходят обыски, kommersant.ru, May 23, 2017 (in Russian)
- Обыски у режиссера Серебренникова связали с делом о растрате, interfax.ru, May 23, 2017 (in Russian)
- "СК сообщил о задержании Серебренникова по подозрению в мошенничестве". РБК. Retrieved 2017-08-22.
- "Russian theatre director Serebrennikov held in fraud case". BBC News. 2017-08-22. Retrieved 2017-08-22.
- Walker, Shaun; agencies (2017-08-23). "Russian court puts theatre director under house arrest". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2017-08-23.
- Theater directors ask court to free Gogol Center ex-head, russiangate.com, June 26, 2017
- Экс-главбух «Седьмой студии» дала признательные показания, russiangate.com, June 8, 2017 (in Russian)
- Felperin, Leslie (2006-06-22). "Review: 'Playing the Victim'". Retrieved 2016-08-25.
- Lodge, Guy (2016-05-13). "Cannes Film Review: 'The Student'". Retrieved 2016-08-25.
- "Серебренникову дали престижную международную премию". Retrieved 2017-08-11.