Kirin Brewery Company
|Traded as||TYO: 2503
OTC Pink: KNBWY
|Founded||Japan Brewery 1885|
|Headquarters||Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, Japan|
|Key people||Senji Miyake (President and CEO)|
- 1 Overview
- 2 Holdings
- 3 Holdings, International
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Kirin sells two of the most popular beers in Japan: Kirin Lager, the country's oldest beer brand; and Ichiban Shibori. In the happoshu (low-malt) category, Kirin Tanrei is the top seller. Kirin handles domestic distribution for several foreign brands, including Budweiser and Heineken. Kirin's brewery operations also extend overseas, through strategic alliances, subsidiaries, and affiliates, to China, Taiwan, Australia, the Philippines, Europe, New Zealand and the United States. The company holds a 100% stake in Lion Nathan Limited, a consolidated subsidiary that is based in Australia but has particularly important operations in China. Kirin has a 48% stake in San Miguel Brewery, the dominant brewer in the Philippines. Kirin now applies its fermentation technology to areas such as plant genetics, pharmaceuticals, and bioengineering. Although brewing and related businesses remain the core of Kirin's activities, the company is also involved in several other sectors: hard liquor, wine, soft drinks, and food products.
In Japanese, "kirin" can refer to giraffes, or to Qilin, mythical hooved Chinese chimerical creatures. Kirin Brewery is named after the latter.
In 2010, Kirin made 23.4 percent of sales abroad, the highest abroad revenue among Japanese breweries.
In November 2011, Kirin Holdings Company agreed to buy out shareholders in Brazilian beermaker Schincariol Participacoes e Representacoes, completing its biggest acquisition as it seeks growth in emerging markets ($1.35 billion for the 49.54 percent stake, giving it control of all outstanding shares).
Alcoholic beverage business
- Kirin Distillery Company, Limited (Renamed from Kirin-Seagram Ltd. on July 1, 2002)
- Ei Sho Gen Company, Limited
- Kirin Communications Stage Company, Limited
- Heineken Japan Company, Limited (joint venture with Heineken International)
Soft drink business
- Kirin Beverage Company, Limited
- Kinki Coca-Cola Bottling Company, Limited
- Kirin Logistics Company, Limited
- Kirin Techno-System Company, Limited
- Kirin Engineering Company, Limited
- Kirin Dining Company, Limited
- Kirin City Company, Limited
- Kirin Building Management Company., Limited
- Kirin Hotel Development Company, Limited
Others of core business
- Kirin Echo Company, Limited
- Kirin Well-Foods Company, Limited
- Takeda-Kirin Foods Corporation
- Cosmo Foods Company, Limited
- Kirin Green & Flower Company, Limited
- Flower Gate, Inc.
- Flower Season Company, Limited
- Verdy Company, Limited
- Tokita Seed Company, Limited
- Japan Potato Corporation
- Nagano Tomato Company, Limited
- Asia Pacific Breweries (Singapore) (15%)
- Four Roses Distillery (USA)
- Kirin Brewery of America LLC (USA)
- Kirin Europe GmbH (Germany)
- Lion Nathan Limited (Australia/New Zealand)
- San Miguel Brewery (Philippines)
- Brasil Kirin (formerly Schincariol, Brazil)
- Taiwan Kirin Company, Limited (Taiwan)
- Zhuhai Kirin President Brewery Company, Limited (China)
Soft drink business
- Kirin-Amgen, Inc. (USA)
- Gemini Science, Inc. (USA)
- Hematech Inc. (USA)
- Jeil-Kirin Pharmaceutical, Inc. (Korea)
- Kirin Pharmaceuticals Company, Limited (Taiwan)
- Kirin Pharmaceuticals (Asia) Company, Limited (Hong Kong)
- Kirin Kunpeng (China) Bio-Pharmaceutical Company, Limited (China)
- Twyford International, Inc. (USA)
- Kirin Agribio EC B.V. (Paris Office) (France)
- Southern Glass House Produce, Limited (England)
- Fides Holding B.V. (Netherlands)
- Barberet & Blanc, S.A. (Spain)
- Qingdao International Seeds Company, Limited (China)
- Germicopa S.A. (France)
- Kirin Agribio Shanghai Company, Limited (China)
- Kirin Australia Pty., Limited (Australia)
- Indústria Agrícola Tozan Ltda. (Brazil)
- Beer in Japan
- Kirin Cup
- Hangzhou Qiandaohu Beer Company, Limited (Kirin owns a 25% share in this Chinese brewery)
- News Kirin Holdings. 2009
- Kirin Holdings Completes Acquisition of San Miguel Brewery Shares Kirin Holdings. 22 May 2009. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- キリン：サントリーと経営統合へ交渉 - 毎日ｊｐ(毎日新聞) Mainichi Shimbun (Retrieved 13 July 2009)
- Termination of Merger Negotiation with Kirin Suntory News Release (Retrieved 8 February 2010)
- "Asahi Plans Southeast Asia Takeovers, Seeking Wider Margins". Retrieved 16 December 2011.
- "Kirin wins Schincariol takeover court case". BBC. 12 October 2011. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "Kirin Buys Out Brazil’s Schincariol, Completing Record Deal". Business Week. 7 November 2011.
- "Schincariol Is Now Brasil Kirin". 13 November 2012.
- "Thai tycoons go for it in multi-billion deals". Investvine. 4 February 2013. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "F&N shares hit record high as tussle continues". Channel News Asia. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Kirin Buys Remaining Shares of Brazil's Schincariol". Wall Street Journal. 4 November 2011. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- Denis Paiste (6 April 2007). "Moxie, same taste, new owner". New Hampshire Union Leader (Union Leader Corporation). p. B3. Retrieved 25 November 2007.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Category:Kirin Brewery Company.|