|Traded as||TYO: 2503|
TOPIX Large 70 Component
|Senji Miyake (President and CEO)|
|Services||Strategic management and oversight of the domestic beverage business.|
Number of employees
|Parent||Kirin Holdings Company, Limited|
|Divisions||Kirin Brewery Company, Limited; Mercian Corporation; Kirin Beverages Company, Limited|
Kirin Company, Limited (キリン株式会社, Kirin Kabushiki-gaisha) is an integrated beverages company. It is a subsidiary of Kirin Holdings Company, Limited. Its major operating units include Kirin Brewery Company, Limited, Mercian Corporation and Kirin Beverages Company, Limited. Kirin is a member of the Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG) keiretsu.
- 1 History
- 2 Corporate overview
- 3 Holdings in Japan
- 4 Holdings outside Japan
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
The Japan Brewery Company, Limited, the forerunner of Kirin Brewery, was established in 1885, taking over the assets of the Spring Valley Brewery, first founded in Yokohama in 1869 by Norwegian-American brewer, William Copeland. In a deal brokered by Thomas Blake Glover, the Japan Brewery was incorporated in Hong Kong in the name of W.H. Talbot and E.H. Abbott with financial backing provided by a group of Japanese investors including Iwasaki Yanosuke, then-president of Mitsubishi.
The Japan Brewery first began marketing Kirin Beer in 1888. The Kirin Brewery Company was established as a separate legal entity in February 1907, purchasing the assets of the Japan Brewery and expanding the business in an era of growing consumer demand. Kirin Brewery built on the traditions of the Japan Brewery retaining the use of malted grains and hops imported from Germany and employing German brewers to oversee production. An exclusive partnership with Meidi-ya proved highly successful in the marketing of Kirin's beers both in Japan and overseas.
Kirin Brewery sells two of the most popular beers in Japan: Kirin Lager, one of the country's oldest beer brands which started brewing in 1888; and Ichiban Shibori. Within the happoshu (low-malt) category, Kirin Tanrei is the top seller. Kirin handles domestic distribution for several foreign brands, including Budweiser and Heineken.
Kirin's brewery operations also extend overseas, through strategic alliances, subsidiaries, and affiliates, to China, Taiwan, Australia, the Philippines, Europe, New Zealand and the United States. The company holds a 100% stake in Lion Nathan Limited, a consolidated subsidiary that is based in Australia but has particularly important operations in China. Kirin has a 48% stake in San Miguel Brewery, the dominant brewer in the Philippines. Kirin now applies its fermentation technology to areas such as plant genetics, pharmaceuticals, and bioengineering. Although brewing and related businesses remain the core of Kirin's activities, the company is also involved in several other sectors: hard liquor, wine, soft drinks, and food products.
In Japanese, "kirin" can refer to giraffes, or to Qilin, the mythical hooved Chinese chimerical creatures. Kirin Brewery is named after the latter.
In 2010, 23.4 percent of Kirin's sales were made overseas, the highest overseas revenue among all Japanese breweries.
In November 2011, Kirin Holdings Company agreed to buy out the remaining shareholders in Brazilian beermaker Schincariol Participacoes e Representacoes, completing its biggest acquisition as it sees growth in emerging markets ($1.35 billion was paid for the 49.54 percent stake, giving it control of all outstanding shares).
In July 2014, Kirin announced its intention to revive the Spring Valley Brewery brand as a wholly owned subsidiary company to focus on producing and retailing microbrewery style beers produced using traditional ingredients and brewing methods.
Holdings in Japan
Alcoholic beverage business
- Kirin Distillery Company, Limited (Renamed from Kirin-Seagram Ltd. on July 1, 2002)
- Ei Sho Gen Company, Limited
- Kirin Communications Stage Company, Limited
Soft drink business
- Kirin Beverage Company, Limited
- Kinki Coca-Cola Bottling Company, Limited
- Kirin Logistics Company, Limited
- Kirin Techno-System Company, Limited
- Kirin Engineering Company, Limited
- Kirin Dining Company, Limited
- Kirin City Company, Limited
- Kirin Building Management Company., Limited
- Kirin Hotel Development Company, Limited
Other core businesses
- Kirin Echo Company, Limited
- Kirin Well-Foods Company, Limited
- Takeda-Kirin Foods Corporation
- Cosmo Foods Company, Limited
- Kirin Green & Flower Company, Limited
- Flower Gate, Inc.
- Flower Season Company, Limited
- Verdy Company, Limited
- Tokita Seed Company, Limited
- Japan Potato Corporation
- Nagano Tomato Company, Limited
Holdings outside Japan
- Asia Pacific Breweries (Singapore) (15%)
- Brooklyn Brewery (United States) (24.5%)
- Four Roses Distillery (United States)
- Kirin Brewery of America LLC (United States)
- Kirin Europe GmbH (Germany)
- Lion Nathan Limited (Australia/New Zealand)
- Myanmar Brewery Ltd (Myanmar) 55%
- New Belgium Brewing Company Pending Final Approval(United States)
- San Miguel Brewery (Philippines)
- Taiwan Kirin Company, Limited (Taiwan, China)
- Zhuhai Kirin President Brewery Company, Limited (China)
Soft drink business
- Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Northern New England (United States)
- Kirin-Amgen, Inc. (United States)
- Gemini Science, Inc. (United States)
- Hematech Inc. (United States)
- Jeil-Kirin Pharmaceutical, Inc. (South Korea)
- Kirin Pharmaceuticals Company, Limited (Taiwan, China)
- Kirin Pharmaceuticals (Asia) Company, Limited (Hong Kong, China)
- Kirin Kunpeng (China) Bio-Pharmaceutical Company, Limited (China)
- Twyford International, Inc. (United Stated)
- Kirin Agribio EC B.V. (Paris Office) (France)
- Southern Glass House Produce, Limited (England)
- Fides Holding B.V. (Netherlands)
- Barberet & Blanc, S.A. (Spain)
- Qingdao International Seeds Company, Limited (China)
- Germicopa S.A. (France)
- Kirin Agribio Shanghai Company, Limited (China)
- Kirin Australia Pty., Limited (Australia)
- Indústria Agrícola Tozan Ltda. (Brazil)
- "The History of Kirin". Kirin Holdings Corporate History. Kirin Holdings. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- Alexander, Jeffrey W. (2013). Brewed in Japan: The Evolution of the Japanese Beer Industry. Vancouver, BC, Canada: UBC Press. p. 19. ISBN 978-0-7748-2504-7.
- "The History of Kirin". Kirin Holdings Corporate History. Kirin Holdings. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- News Kirin Holdings. 2009
- Kirin Holdings Completes Acquisition of San Miguel Brewery Shares Kirin Holdings. 22 May 2009. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- キリン：サントリーと経営統合へ交渉 - 毎日ｊｐ(毎日新聞) Archived 2012-07-10 at Archive.today Mainichi Shimbun (Retrieved 13 July 2009)
- Termination of Merger Negotiation with Kirin Archived 2010-03-01 at the Wayback Machine Suntory News Release (Retrieved 8 February 2010)
- H2 Acquires Agribio from Kirin, February 19, 2010
- "Asahi Plans Southeast Asia Takeovers, Seeking Wider Margins". Retrieved 16 December 2011.
- "Kirin wins Schincariol takeover court case". BBC. 12 October 2011. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "Kirin Buys Out Brazil's Schincariol, Completing Record Deal". Business Week. 7 November 2011.
- "Schincariol Is Now Brasil Kirin". 13 November 2012. Archived from the original on 19 February 2013.
- "Home | Producers' Commitments". Producers' Commitments. Retrieved 2015-12-23.
- "Thai tycoons go for it in multi-billion deals". Investvine. 4 February 2013. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- Kim, Chang-Ran (July 16, 2014). "Japan's Kirin pushes into craft beer to halt market share slide". Reuters. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- van Tartwijk, Maarten (January 20, 2017), Heineken in Talks to Buy Kirin’s Brazil Assets, New York: The Wall Street Journal, retrieved January 22, 2017
- "Kirin Pushes Expansion of Wellness Business in $1.2 Billion Deal". Bloomberg. Feb 5, 2018.
- "Kirin to Become Fancl's Top Shareholder". nippon.com. 2019-08-06. Retrieved 2019-08-06.
- "F&N shares hit record high as tussle continues". Channel News Asia. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Let's set the record straight : Blog : Brooklyn Brewery". The Brooklyn Brewery. Retrieved 2019-02-09.
- Denis Paiste (6 April 2007). "Moxie, same taste, new owner". New Hampshire Union Leader. Union Leader Corporation. p. B3. Retrieved 25 November 2007.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kirin Brewery Company.|