|Caldwell in 2012|
|14th Mayor of Honolulu|
January 2, 2013
|Preceded by||Peter Carlisle|
July 20, 2010 – October 11, 2010
|Preceded by||Mufi Hannemann|
|Succeeded by||Peter Carlisle|
|Member of the
Hawaii House of Representatives
from the 24th district
January 16, 2002 – January 15, 2008
September 4, 1952 |
|Alma mater||Tufts University
Kirk William Caldwell (born September 4, 1952) is an American politician, and the incumbent Mayor of Honolulu. Caldwell assumed the position on January 2, 2013. Caldwell previously held the position of Acting Mayor of Honolulu in 2010 following the resignation of Mayor Mufi Hannemann.
Caldwell represented the 24th Representative District in the Hawaii State House of Representatives of the Hawaii State Legislature from 2002 to 2008, serving as the House Majority Leader between 2007 and 2008. Caldwell left the race for re-election for the House of Representatives to run for City Council in Honolulu. Caldwell was unable to run for council as he had not formally withdrawn from the election for the House of Representatives.
On July 20, 2010, Caldwell assumed the position of interim mayor after Mufi Hannemann resigned to compete in the 2010 Hawaii gubernatorial election. Caldwell held the office of mayor until a special election was held to determine a permanent successor.
2010 Mayoral election
2012 Mayoral election
Caldwell ran a successful campaign in the 2012 Honolulu mayoral election. Caldwell finished second in the primary election, ahead of incumbent mayor and opponent Peter Carlisle. He faced former Hawaii Governor Ben Cayetano in the 2012 election on November 6, 2012, and won the election by 7.8%.
- Au, Laurie (January 1, 2009). "Mayor picks Caldwell to be his top deputy". Honolulu Star-Bulletin.
- "Hannemann officially in race for governor's mansion". Honolulu Star-Advertiser. July 20, 2010.
- B. J. Reyes (September 18, 2010). "Carlisle wins Honolulu mayor's race". Honolulu Star-Advertiser. Retrieved September 29, 2010.
- "Honolulu Mayoral Election 2012". Honolulu Civil Beat. 2012-02-26. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- "Primary Election 2012 - State of Hawaii - Final Summary Report" (PDF). State of Hawaii, Office of Elections. August 12, 2012. Retrieved August 13, 2012.
- "Mayor, City and County of Honolulu election results". Hawaii News Now. November 6, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kirk Caldwell.|
|Mayor of Honolulu
|Mayor of Honolulu