Kirk Paul Lafler
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (June 2009)|
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009)|
|Kirk Paul Lafler|
February 27, 1956 |
Penn Yan, New York, United States
|Occupation||engineer, programmer, entrepreneur, consultant|
Kirk Paul Lafler (1956) is an American engineer, programmer, entrepreneur, consultant and founder of Software Intelligence Corporation. He is the author of six books including "Google Search Complete!" (Odyssey Press, 2014), "PROC SQL: Beyond the Basics Using SAS, Second Edition" (SAS Institute. 2013) and "PROC SQL: Beyond the Basics Using SAS" (SAS Institute. 2004).
He is a successful entrepreneur with several business startup ventures, and is experienced in applications programming, database design, systems analysis, software testing, performance tuning, project management, and software training. He has been programming using SAS software since 1979. He is an emeritus member of the sasCommunity.org advisory board.
Kirk Paul Lafler received a BS in Management Science Systems Analysis from the University of Miami in 1978. He took part in Postgraduate Studies in Telecommunications Management at George Washington University in 1981, and received a MS in Management Science Systems Analysis from the University of Miami in 1982.
Kirk provides IT consulting services and training to SAS users around the world, and has been using SAS since 1979. He was a SAS Certified Professional and SAS Institute Alliance Member from 1996 to 2002. Kirk has been involved with three hundred-plus SAS International, regional, special-interest, local and in-house user group conferences and meetings since 1981. His popular SAS Tips column, "Kirk’s Korner of Quick and Simple Tips", appears regularly in several SAS User Group newsletters and websites, and his fun-filled SASword Puzzles is featured in SAScommunity.org.
In 1983 Kirk spearheaded the San Diego SAS Users Group (later renamed to SANDS); in 1992 he served as a contributing member of the California State Department of Education Legal Compliance Committee (LCC); from 1989 to 1993 as Chairperson and President for the Southern California SAS Users Group (SoCalSUG); as Public Relations Chairperson for the San Diego SAS Users Group (SANDS) from 1993 to 2002; in August 2002 as Co-Chairperson for the Symposium on Applications Development, Data Analysis, and Web-based Tools Using the SAS System, Stanford University; and in February 2010 as Co-Chair of the Advances in Bioinformatics and Genomics Symposium
In 1981 he received Project Commendations and Awards from Electronic Data Systems and the Department of Energy. He has been awarded twenty three "Best" Contributed Paper, hands-on workshop (HOW), and Poster awards at SAS Global Forum (SGF), SAS User Group International (SUGI), Pharmaceutical SAS User Group, and Regional SAS User Group conferences.
Lafler has written six books and more than five hundred papers, articles and webinars. A selection:
- 2014. Google Search Complete!. Odyssey Press, ISBN 978-0692285169
- 2013. PROC SQL: Beyond the Basics Using SAS, Second Edition. SAS Institute.
- 2004. PROC SQL: Beyond the Basics Using SAS. SAS Institute.
- 2002. Power SAS: A Survival Guide of Tips. Apress. ISBN 1-59059-066-X.
- 2002. Power AOL: A Survival Guide of Tips. Apress, 2002. ISBN 1-893115-38-0.
- 1999. Year 2000 How To Guide for Medical Laboratories. Odyssey Press, 1999.
Webinars, a selection:
- 2006. Webinar - Tips and Tricks for Producing Quick Results with PROC SQL (SAS Press, 2006)
- 2006. Webinar - Exploring Dictionary Tables with PROC SQL (SAS Press, 2006)
- Listed in the 1992–1993 Marquis Who's Who in Science and Engineering, Premier Edition (March 1992), ISBN 0-8379-5751-6, ISBN 978-0-8379-5751-7; 1992 Edition of Who's Who Among Rising Young Americans; 1989–1997 Editions of Who's Who in California; 1989 Edition of Who's Who in the Computer Industry; and 1989-1990 Edition of Who's Who in the West.
- PROC SQL: Beyond the Basics Using SAS (SAS Press, 2004) ISBN 1-59047-534-8
- SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- SAS Institute#Regional and online
- Advances in Bioinformatics and Genomics Symposium.
- Blog entry about Advances in Bioinformatics and Genomics Symposium.
- "Lex Jansen’s Homepage". Lex Jansen. 5 May 2014.