Kirk von Ackermann
Kirk von Ackermann
|Disappeared||October 9, 2003|
|Died||October 9, 2003 (aged 37)|
|Spouse(s)||Megan von Ackermann|
Von Ackermann was an intelligence officer in the United States Air Force, and had previously served as a Russian linguist in the United States Army. Among his roles in the Air Force was that of "former Deputy Director of Intelligence for NATO operations in Kosovo in 1999, where he had been decorated for operations behind enemy lines."
He was employed by Ultra Services of Istanbul, Turkey when he disappeared in Iraq on Thursday, October 9, 2003. His car was found empty on a road between Kirkuk and Tikrit, with his equipment and $40,000 still inside. On December 14, 2003 his colleague, Ryan G. Manelick was gunned down just after leaving Camp Anaconda. The Major Procurement Fraud Unit (MPFU) at U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command (HQCID) is investigating.
The CID determined that von Ackermann died on October 9, 2003 in a botched kidnapping attempt. They still, however, refuse to give out information on his case which is still "active." Ackermann's body was never found.
The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency lists von Ackermann as one of five remaining missing servicemen or DOD contractors since the onset of Operation Desert Storm.
Before going to Iraq, von Ackermann was a manager at Siebel Systems, Inc., a business software company in San Mateo, California, and living in living in Moss Beach, California. He is survived by his wife, Megan, and three children.
- "Obituary". Albuquerque Journal. January 14, 2007. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
- Waller, Douglas (February 13, 2005). "Foul Play in Iraq?". Time. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
- Freeman, Colin. "Suspicion surrounds missing Bay Area man / His fellow military contract worker pointed to kickback schemes — and then was killed". SFGate. Retrieved 13 December 2016.
- Freeman, Colin (November 11, 2003). "Bay Area civilian vanishes in Iraq". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
- Kirk von Ackermann profile, missinginiraq.blogspot.com, August 2006; accessed December 8, 2015.
- Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency www.dpaa.mil, undated; accessed December 12, 2016.
- "Army Seeks Missing U.S. Civilian in Iraq". The Los Angeles Times. November 12, 2003. p. 120. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
- Gore, Jeanine (November 24, 2003). "Von Ackermann: 'a regular guy?'". Half Moon Bay Review. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
- The Missing Man – blog with links to articles on Manelick & Von Ackermann