Kirko Bangz in March 2012
|Birth name||Kirk Jerel Randle|
|Born||August 20, 1989|
|Origin||Houston, Texas, United States|
|Associated acts||Bun B, Z-Ro, Slim Thug. Meek Mill. Kydd Jones|
Kirk Jerel Randle (born August 20, 1989), better known by his stage name Kirko Bangz, is an American rapper, singer, songwriter and record producer signed to Atlantic Records. He is best known for his single, "Drank in My Cup" which was released in 2011 and peaked at number 28 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart.
Kirko Bangz was born Kirk Jerel Randle in East Houston, Texas. Bangz started rapping at the age of fifteen, due in part to witnessing his mother struggle as a single parent; using his mother’s pain as motivation. He graduated from North Shore High School in Houston and would later go on to attend Prairie View A&M University where he would major in communications.
2009–12: Career beginnings and mixtapes
At Prairie View he was able to focus on his music, and in 2009 he released his first mixtape Procrastination Kills. He got the attention of a fellow student and now manager D Will. His stage name is a play on late singer Kurt Cobain's name. Bangz released his first official single titled "What Yo Name Iz?" on February 7, 2011. His first major hit actually began as a freestyle. It has since peaked at number forty-one on the chart. A remix was released on June 24, 2011 and features Big Sean, Wale and Bun B. He released a mixtape shortly after on March 1, 2011 titled Procrastination Kills 3.
His second single titled "Drank In My Cup" was released on September 16, 2011. During the week of February 25, 2012, the single debuted at number ninety-six on the Billboard Hot 100. It has since peaked at number 28 on the chart and at number one on the Hot Rap Songs chart. The song spawned many remixes and freestyles featuring hip-hop artists J. Cole, 2 Chainz, Tyga, Bow Wow, Kid Ink, Chamillionaire, and singer Trey Songz. Bangz released a new mixtape called "Procrastination Kills 4" on September 4, 2012. His third single from his debut album titled "Keep It Trill" was released on November 30, 2012.
2013–present: Bigger Than Me
On March 26, 2013, it was announced that Bangz would be a part of XXL Magazine's 2013 Freshman Class. Three days later he would announce the title of his debut album to be, Bigger Than Me. On July 4, 2013, Bangz announced that he would release another mixtape, Progression 3 on August 1, 2013 prior to his debut album. He has also revealed the cover for the mixtape. However he would announce that it would be pushed back a week later. The mixtape was released on August 12, 2013. Guest appearances came from Wale, Nipsey Hussle, French Montana, Z-Ro, Paul Wall, YG, and Slim Thug among others. Production was handled by K.E. on the Track, DJ Mustard, and Jahlil Beats among others.
He was moved to Atlantic Records another subsidiarity of Warner Music Group. Then on January 28, 2014, Bangz released the album's first single "Hoe" featuring YG and Yo Gotti. His debut album will be released during 2014 by Atlantic Records. From March 6 to April 17, 2014, Kirko Bangz went on The Trillest concert tour which was co-headlined by frequent collaborator Bun B. On December 16, 2014, Bangz released the Progression V: Young Texas Playa mixtape, which was produced primarily by Austinite Kydd Jones and Sound M.O.B. (who produced Kirko's previous #1 hit "Drank In My Cup); the mixtape featured artists such as Texas heavyweights Bun B and Riff Raff. On July 21, 2015, it was announced that Bangz signed with 300 Entertainment. On February 19, 2016, Bangz released his debut Extended play, titled Playa Made. Then on August 26, 2016, Bangz released brand new mixtape titled Back Flossin'
- Playa Made (2016)
- Back Flossin (2016)
- "Rapper Kirko Bangz aka Mr. What Yo Name Iz?". Thebarmag.com. Archived from the original on July 15, 2013. Retrieved September 2, 2012.
- Rapper Kirko Bangz aka Mr. What Yo Name Iz? Archived 2013-07-15 at the Wayback Machine.. Thebarmag.com (2010-10-17). Retrieved on 2012-08-31.
- "Kirko Bangz Creatively Honors Legend Kurt Cobain". RapFix. Retrieved 2015-05-30.
- "What Yo Name Iz? [Explicit]: Kirko Bangz: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-02-18.
- "Top Hip-Hop/R&B Songs – Week of April 23, 2011 He is also known for his song "Drank In My Cup"". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2012-02-18.
- "What Yo Name Iz? (feat. Wale, Big Sean, and Bun B)(Remix) – Single". iTunes.com. Retrieved 2012-02-18.
- Kirko Bangz Procrastination Kills 3. Datpiff. Retrieved on 2012-08-31.
- Drank In My Cup: Kirko Bangz: MP3 Downloads. Amazon.com. Retrieved on 2012-02-18.
- "U.S. Billboard Hot 100 – Week of February 25, 2012". MusicStop. Retrieved 2012-02-18.
- "Keep It Trill: Kirko Bangz: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-12-04.
- Bangz, Kirko. "Progression 3 Tweet".
- Bangz, Kirko. "Progression 3 Cover". Twitter.
- "Kirko bangz pushes back Progression 3". Twitter.