Kirkwood Community College
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Aerial view of Kirkwood campus
|Location||Cedar Rapids, Iowa, United States
Kirkwood Community College is a two-year comprehensive community college serving seven counties in Iowa. Kirkwood's main campus is in Cedar Rapids, with additional campuses in Marion, Iowa City, Belle Plaine, Monticello, Tipton, Vinton, Washington and Williamsburg.
Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Kirkwood offers Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, and Associate of Applied Science degrees, certificates and diplomas. The college offers 120+ programs. The college offers many classes and a variety of Liberal Arts degrees online.
Kirkwood also offers an adult high school, adult basic education, and GED programs; Continuing Education personal and professional development courses; and accelerated delivery formats for working adults.
On December 14, 2017, Kirkwood Board of Trustees Chairman James Mollenhauer named Lori Sundberg the school’s fifth president and its first female leader. Her presidency is scheduled to begin Aug. 1, 2018.
The Cedar Rapids Campus
Kirkwood's main campus is located in Cedar Rapids. The 680-acre (2.8 km2) campus includes a 400-acre (1.6 km2) working farm, 27 buildings with 1,400,000 square feet (130,000 m2) of interior learning space and a 15-acre (61,000 m2) athletic complex. The campus is in the center of the Kirkwood paha, a mile-long loess ridge. The main buildings on campus are aligned with this ridge, with parking, sports facilities and secondary buildings to the north and south.
Kirkwood Student Demographics (fall 2011, spring 2012, summer 2012) Total credit enrollment: 26,500. Average class size: 23.
Kirkwood awards approximately $2 million in scholarships annually; roughly 60% of students utilize federal financial aid in a given school year.
Kirkwood Community College has its own hotel, "The Hotel at Kirkwood Center". It was opened in 2010, and is a 71-room hotel operated by professional staff assisted by Hospitality and Culinary Arts students.
The Kirkwood Healthcare Simulation Lab opened in fall of 2009. Allied Health and Nursing students receive hands-on experience in crisis situations in the $3.6 million emergency medicine lab. Local hospitals and clinics use the facility for practice and training sessions.
The Jones County Regional Education Center opened fall 2009 in Monticello. The 30,000-square-foot (2,800 m2) center was built upon a partnership between eight local k-12 school districts and Kirkwood. High school, traditional college-age and adult students receive hands-on training in skilled trades, and Liberal Arts classes and programs.
The Iowa Equestrian Center operates during the week. The Equestrian Center stables, stalls and arena serve as Kirkwood's Horse Science classrooms and working laboratory. 50 weekends a year, the center hosts regional and national horse shows, as well as dog and other animal shows.
Mascot - Eagle
Colors - Blue and white
- Women's Basketball - Six National Championships (four consecutive 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010), nine consecutive Regional Championships and Final Four appearances
- Men's Basketball - One National Championship, eight National Tournament appearances, eight Region XI Championships
- Softball - Four National Tournament appearances, 10 All-Americans (seven Academic, three Athletic), 73 All-Region selections
- Baseball - Two World Series appearances, two Region XI Championships, four former players in professional baseball
- Golf - Ten National Tournament appearances, five Region XI Championships, one Individual National Champion
- Volleyball - One National Championship, seven National Tournament appearances, seven Region XI Championships
- Dan Boddicker, Iowa state legislator
- Steve Carl, wrestler; professional MMA fighter
- Ali Farokhmanesh, basketball player - University of Northern Iowa
- Julie Hosch, Iowa state legislator
- Richard E. Myers, Iowa state legislator
- Kirkwood Programs of Study
- Miller, Vanessa (14 December 2017). "Kirkwood introduces new president". The Gazette. Retrieved 13 January 2018.
- Anderson, R.A., and Fields, C.L., Geologic features in southeastern Linn County, Iowa, Geologic Society of Iowa, 2008, 42 p. See page 1.
- Main Campus Map,
- Kirkwood Athletics