Kirkwood Township, Belmont County, Ohio
|Kirkwood Township, Belmont County, Ohio|
U.S. Route 40 in the township's southeast
Location of Kirkwood Township in Belmont County
|• Total||36.7 sq mi (95.0 km2)|
|• Land||35.3 sq mi (91.5 km2)|
|• Water||1.4 sq mi (3.5 km2)|
|Elevation||965 ft (294 m)|
|• Density||11/sq mi (4.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085779|
Located in the western part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Flushing Township - north
- Union Township - east
- Goshen Township - southeast
- Warren Township - south
- Oxford Township, Guernsey County - southwest
- Londonderry Township, Guernsey County - northwest
Part of the village of Fairview is located in southwestern Kirkwood Township.
The Egypt Valley Wildlife Area comprises a significant portion of the township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Kirkwood township, Belmont County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 18, 2014.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 176.
- McKelvey, A. T. (1903). Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens. Biographical Publishing Company. p. 267.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.