Kirrawee High School
|Kirrawee High School|
|Type||Co-educational public high school|
|Motto||Measure by Achievement|
|Colour(s)||Sky blue & navy|
The school was opened in 1966 and now caters for around 1,200 students, most continuing their education from three local primary schools, Gymea Bay, Grays Point and Kirrawee. The school is a Languages High School which also offers a comprehensive education in sports and in the performing arts, with musician James Morrison a close mentor for the school's band.
The school has had consistently high academic results. In the Sutherland Cronulla Education District, Kirrawee High school was second only to the academic selective high school Caringbah High, which placed 17th.
Real estate agents selling local properties often feature 'Kirrawee High Catchment' as a positive property attribute because the school is seen as desirable; each year many out-of-area students compete for limited places at the school with students accepted for outstanding ability in academic, sports, musical or artistic fields.
Extra-curricular activities offered include debating and public speaking, musical and dramatic productions, the Student Council, community service, charitable collections and fund raising and many sports programs.
- Alicia McCormack- Olympic bronze medalist, Beijing 2008 water polo and London 2012 water polo
- Chris McCormack – twice World Ironman Triathlon champion
- Kirsten Thomson – Olympic silver medalist, Sydney 2000 swimming
- Jackson Fear - Olympic archer, Atlanta 1996
- Emma Pask – Australian jazz vocalist
- Kate Hollywood- Australian Olympic hockey player and dual Commonwealth Games gold medalist
- Nicola Zagame- Olympic bronze medalist, London 2012 water polo
- Nathan Walker- ice hockey player, Youngstown Phantoms
- Eloise Wellings - Australian representative to the 2012 Olympics in athletics
- Bryce Jacobs - Film Composer, Music Producer and Musician
- Pauline Curby. Pictorial History Sutherland Shire. p. 121.
- "London 2012 - Eloise Wellings Athlete Profile". Retrieved 4 August 2012.