Kirthar National Park
|Kirthar National Park|
|Location||Jamshoro District, Sindh, Pakistan|
|Area||3,087 km2 (1,192 sq mi)|
|Governing body||Wildlife and Parks Department of Government of Pakistan|
The Kirthar National Park (Urdu: کِیرتھر نیشنل پارک), Sindhi (کيرٿرنيشنل پارڪ) is situated in the Kirthar Mountains in Jamshoro District in Sindh, Pakistan. The park was established in 1974, and encompasses an area of over 3,087 square kilometres (1,192 sq mi) - making it the third largest national park in Pakistan by size after the Central Karakoram National Park and Hingol National Park. The park is accessible by four wheel drive vehicles while two rest houses belonging to the Sindh Wildlife Department are available for tourist accommodation.
The park's fauna comprises Persian leopards, striped hyenas, Indian wolves, ratels, urials, chinkara gazelles and rare Sind wild goats. Blackbuck antelopes are kept in enclosures for a reintroduction project at Kirthar National Park.
Total species: 33. Mammals in the park include:
- Persian leopard,P.p.sindianus
- Asiatic wildcat,F.s.ornata
- Indian wolf,C.l.pallipes
- Golden jackal,C.a.persica
- White-footed fox,V.v.pusilla
- Striped hyena,H.h.hyaena
- Indian grey mongoose,H.e.edwardsii
- Honey badger,M.c.indica
- Cairo spiny mouse,A.cahirinus
- Sand-colored soft-furred rat,M.gleadowi
- Indian bush rat,G.ellioti
- Sind bat,E.nasutus
- Sindh ibex,C.a.blythi
There are a total of 58 species of birds in Kirthar National Park. Species found the park are Bearded vulture (winter migratory), Bonelli's eagle, Imperial eagle, Tawny eagle, Golden eagle, Griffon vulture, Egyptian vulture, Cinereous vulture, Laggar falcon, Red-necked falcon, Common kestrel, Crowned sandgrouse, Houbara bustard, Grey partridge, See-see partridge, Stone-curlew, Chestnut-bellied sandgrouse, Lichtenstein's sandgrouse, Painted sandgrouse, Indian eagle-owl, Sind woodpecker, Hume's wheatear, Long-billed pipit, Crested bunting, Desert lark, Hoopoe and Grey-backed shrike.
Reptiles found the park includes Indian python, Indian cobra, Russell's viper, Indian saw-scaled viper, Sind krait, Black copper rat snake, Indian star tortoise, Desert monitor, Yellow monitor, Mugger crocodile
- List of national parks in Pakistan
- List of parks and gardens in Pakistan
- List of parks and gardens in Lahore
- List of parks and gardens in Karachi
- "New Page 1". www.tourism.gov.pk. Archived from the original on 17 March 2019. Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- "Recent rains transform Kirthar Park into haven for wild animals - Daily Times". 9 August 2016.
- Khirthar national park Archived 4 August 2012 at the Wayback Machine, Publisher: Sindh Wildlife Department, Retrieved on 5 August 2012
- Michael J. B. Green: IUCN directory of South Asian protected areas. Iucn-World Conservation Union (December 1990). ISBN 2-8317-0030-2
- Media related to Kirthar National Park at Wikimedia Commons
- Kirthar National Park travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Kirthar National Park at Wildlife of Pakistan