|• Land||4,605 km2 (1,778 sq mi)|
|• Density||65.3/km2 (169/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
Kiruhura District is bordered by Kamwenge District and Kyegegwa District to the north, Sembabule District to the north-east, Lyantonde District to the east, Rakai District to the south-east, Isingiro District to the south, Mbarara District to the south-west and Ibanda District to the north-west. The district headquarters are approximately 65 kilometres (40 mi), by road, northeast of Mbarara, the largest town in the Ankole sub-region. The coordinates of the district are:-0.2101960, 30.8390492.
The district is part of the larger Ankole sub-region. That sub-region is coterminous with the Ankole Kingdom, which is constitutionally recognized but non-functional as of May 2011. The sub-region was home to an estimated population of 10,577,900 million as of 2020, according to the national census conducted that year.
The country home of the current Uganda President Yoweri Museveni is in Rwakitura, Nyabushozi County, in Kiruhura District. The Rwakitura home functions like an upcountry State House when the president is visiting.
The 1991 national population census put the district population at about 140,950. In 2002, the national census estimated the population at 212,220, with an estimated annual growth rate of 3 percent. In 2012, the population was estimated at 300,800.
Kiruhura District is a farming district. Livestock forms the backbone of economic activity in the district. The animals raised include:
- Ankole cattle
- Exotic cattle breeds
- Hybrid cattle - mixtures of exotic and Ankole breeds
- African Goats
- Boer goats
- Hybrid goats - mixtures of Boer goats and African goats
Milk and meat are important products produced in the district. In 2006, it was estimated that the district produced more than 100,000 liters of milk daily. The produce is sold locally and also marketed to Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city about 240 kilometres (150 mi) to the east of the district.
Amos Dairies Uganda Limited, a subsidiary of Amos Dairies Limited, is setting up a milk-processing plant at Akageti in Kiruhura District, with capacity to process more than 2 million litres of milk annually.
- "Map Showing Mbarara And Kiruhura With stance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- "Node: Kiruhura (3233732148)". OpenStreetMap. Retrieved 2022-02-14.
- "Uganda Population 2022 (Demographics, Maps, Graphs)". worldpopulationreview.com. Retrieved 2022-02-14.
- "Western (Region, Uganda) - Population Statistics, Charts, Map and Location". www.citypopulation.de. Retrieved 2022-02-14.
- Vision, Reporter (5 January 2010). "Museveni Meets Mumbere In Rwakitura". New Vision. Archived from the original on 14 May 2014. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- "Estimated Population of Kiruhura District In 1991, 2002 & 2012". Citypopulation.de. Retrieved 13 May 2014.
- "Milk production in Kiruhura District". Archived from the original on 2009-02-12. Retrieved 2009-06-07.
- Distance between Kiruhura and Kampala with Map
- Vision, Reporter (13 May 2014). "Uganda Targets 20 Billion Litres of Milk Annually". New Vision. Retrieved 13 May 2014.