Kiryat Menachem bus bombing
|Kiryat Menachem bus bombing|
|Part of the Second Intifada militancy campaign|
|Location||Kiryat Menachem, Jerusalem|
|Date||November 21, 2002|
|Deaths||11 civilians (+ 1 bomber)|
|Perpetrators||Hamas claimed responsibility|
The Kiryat Menachem bus bombing was a suicide bombing which occurred on November 21, 2002 in a public bus in the neighborhood of Kiryat Menachem in Jerusalem, Israel. 11 people were killed in the attack and over 50 were injured.
The Palestinian Islamist militant organization Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.
On November 21, 2002, at around 7:00 am, Palestinian suicide bomber Na'el Abu Hilail, wearing an explosives belt packed with five-kilograms of explosives and shrapnel, boarded the public bus on Mexico Street in Jerusalem.
The suicide bomber detonated the explosives in the crowded bus, before the bus reached the next stop, while the bus was in the suburban neighborhood of Kiryat Menachem. 11 people were killed in the attack and over 50 were injured.
Hamas took credit for the attack, which was carried out by Na'el Abu Hilail, 22, from el-Khader, just south of Bethlehem. Four of the victims were children on their way to school. Abu Hilail's father said he was pleased with his son, saying "Our religion says we are proud of him until the day of resurrection." His friends said he was a supporter of Islamic Jihad.
- AT LEAST 10 KILLED IN SUICIDE BOMBING OF JERUSALEM BUS – New York Times
- Ilan Perlman
- The JPost – Casualties of War
- Hodaya Asraf
- Marina Bazarski
- Yelena-Hadassah Ben-David
- Sima Novak
- Kira Perlman
- Ilan Perlman
- Yafit Ravivo
- Ella Sharshevsky
- Michael Sharshevsky
- Mircea Varga
- MDikla Zino
- Israeli Forces Enter Bethlehem as Retaliation for Bus Bombing in Jerusalem
- Bomb in Crowded Commuter Bus in Jerusalem Kills at Least 10 – The Washington Post, November 21, 2002
- Jerusalem suicide bombing kills 11 – The Guardian, November 21, 2002
- 4 Children Are Among Dead In Jerusalem Bus Bombing – published on the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, November 22, 2002
- Jerusalem bus blast kills 11 – published on BBC News, November 21, 2002
- Suicide bomber kills 11 in Jerusalem – published on The Sun, November 22, 2002
- Bus Bomb Attack Kills 11 / Jerusalem blast injures 50; Sharon considering retaliation – published on Newsday, November 22, 2002
- Suicide bombing of No. 20 Egged bus in Kiryat Menahem, Jerusalem, November 21, 2002 – Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs