|Church of Uganda|
|Location||Kisiizi, Rukungiri District, Uganda|
|Care system||Community Hospital|
|Hospital type||General and Specialist|
|Affiliated university||Church of Uganda|
|Other links||Hospitals in Uganda|
Kisiizi Hospital, is a hospital in the town of Kisiizi, in Rukungiri District, southwestern Uganda approximately 42 kilometres (26 mi), by road, south of Rukungiri, where the district headquarters are located. This location is approximately 46 kilometres (29 mi), by road, north of Kabale, the largest city in the sub-region.
Kisiizi Hospital is a community hospital, founded by Dr John Sharp a missionary doctor in 1958 and later taken over by the Church of Uganda, under the North Kigezi Diocese of the Church. It is one of the 55 Non-Government Hospitals in Uganda. The hospital was established in 1958 and has operated continuously from the day it was founded. It is a Private not-for-profit institution. The bed capacity of Kisiizi Hospital is 250 plus 10 cots/incubators in the Special Care Baby Unit.
The hospital is a fee-paying hospital, although no one is turned away due to inability to pay. The fees collected from the patients cover only about 40% of the total hospital expenses. To supplement that income, the hospital operates several other businesses whose revenue augments the hospital's financial and social responsibilities. The hospital also receives charitable contributions from supporters within Uganda and from overseas. The hospital's other activities include:
- Kisiizi Hospital Primary School - taking day pupils and boarders from Hospital Staff Families and the Community, with around 430 children enrolled
- Kisiizi Hospital School of Nursing - training nurses and midwives, with around 200 students
- Kisiizi Hospital Health Insurance Scheme - covering members in the 4 local districts of Rukungiri, Kabale, Ntungamo and Kanungu with over 36,000 people registered in an area extending up to 60km from Kisiizi
- Kisiizi Hospital Power Limited, the operator of Kisiizi Power Station, a 300 kW hydroelectric project that supplies the hospital and the town of Kisiizi.
Births at Kisiizi Hospital
Some of the prominent people who were born at Kisiizi Hospital include :
- Peter Bamuhigire, Ugandan Software Developer, Historian and Pan Africanist, 18 March 1986.
- "Road Distance Between Rukungiri And Kisiizi With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "Map Showing Kabale And Kisiizi With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Uganda Has 55 Non-Government Hospitals
- "Overview of Kisiizi Hospital". Kisiizi Hospital. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- Kisiizi Hospital Website
- Blog "The journey continues": Kisiizi Hospital
- Rukungiri District Internet Portal
- UK Hospital Donates Used X-ray Equipment to Kisiizi Hospital