Kiss Land (song)
|Single by The Weeknd|
|from the album Kiss Land|
|Released||May 17, 2013|
|The Weeknd singles chronology|
"Kiss Land" is a song by Canadian singer The Weeknd, from his debut studio album Kiss Land. It was released on May 17, 2013 by XO and Republic Records. Upon its release, it received critical acclaim from music critics, who appreciated the progression from his earlier works. Although it was assumed to have been the album's lead single, the song "Belong to the World" was released as the lead single for Kiss Land on July 16, 2013. On June 25, 2013, a month later the music video was released, featuring adult actresses London Keyes, Asphyxia Noir and Bonnie Rotten. It is considered NSFW due to the sexual explicit content, but a censored version was released as well.
Background and composition
In 2011, The Weeknd released the mixtapes House of Balloons, Thursday, and Echoes of Silence to critical acclaim. The following year, he released the compilation album Trilogy, which contained his earlier projects with three newly recorded tracks. The Weeknd began work on his debut studio album Kiss Land in 2013; he revealed the title and cover artwork on March 17.
Produced by Silkky Johnson, known for his previous work with ASAP Mob and Lil B, "Kiss Land" was released to the iTunes Store on May 17, 2013, and lasts for seven minutes and thirty-six seconds, it contains a sample of "La Ritournelle" by French musician Sébastien Tellier. The song was co-produced by DannyBoyStyles, The Weeknd himself and Jason "DaHeala" Quenneville. It is divided into two musical portions; the first section discusses themes of sex, while the latter half addresses the topics of alcoholism.
Upon its release, "Kiss Land" was met with acclaim from music critics. Lauren Nostro from Complex complimented The Weeknd's growth as an artist, noting that he "continually refines" his "defined aesthetic", and noted that the track "boasts a bridge". Global Grind's Brittany Lewis described the song as "hypnotic", while Carl Williott of Idolator thought that the use of a woman's scream brought a "sinister lothario thing to absurd new heights". Rob Markman from MTV News felt that "Kiss Land" shared a similar structure to The Weeknd's previous tracks, but also suggested that the forthcoming release of Kiss Land will reveal "a lot more about music's mystery man".
VH1 India gave "Kiss Land" a 7/10 citing it as "An impressive sequential plunge into The Weeknd's cryptic tide, but as he himself so coyly reminds us,"This is nothing to relate to," and we may have already extended our invitation".
|South Korea International Streaming Chart (Gaon)||195|
- "The Weeknd's 'Kiss Land' Arrives on August 27th, "Belong To The World" Snippet". ThisGoesIn. July 13, 2013. Retrieved July 13, 2013.
- "Bonnie Rotten Featured in New Music Video for The Weeknd". AVN. July 2, 2013. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- "The Weeknd Profile". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- "iTunes - Music - Trilogy by The Weeknd". iTunes Store (US). Apple Inc. November 13, 2012. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- Dharmic X (March 17, 2013). "The Weeknd Announces That His New Album Will Be Titled "Kiss Land"". Complex. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- "iTunes - Music - Kiss Land (Explicit Version) - Single by The Weeknd". iTunes Store (US). Apple Inc. May 16, 2013. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- Rob Markman (May 17, 2013). "The Weeknd Drops Sexy 'Kiss Land' and Sincere 'John Carpenter'". MTV News. Viacom. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- Lauren Nostro (May 16, 2013). "Listen: The Weeknd "Kiss Land"". Complex. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- Brittany Lewis (May 17, 2013). "The Weeknd "Kiss Land/John Carpenter"". Global Grind. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- Carl Williott (May 17, 2013). "The Weeknd Unveils "Kiss Land": Hear The New Album's Epic Title Track". Idolator. Buzz Media. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- "Gaon Streaming Chart (2013년 6월 2주차)". Gaon Chart. Retrieved April 11, 2014.