|Single by Miranda Cosgrove|
|from the album Sparks Fly|
|Released||March 22, 2010 (U.S. 7" vinyl and Cassette tape)
May 11, 2010 (U.S. airplay)
July 9, 2010 (Australia)
|Format||CD Single, 7" vinyl, Cassette tape|
|Songwriter(s)||Miranda Cosgrove, Lukasz Gottwald, Claude Kelly|
|Producer(s)||Dr. Luke, Ammo|
|Miranda Cosgrove singles chronology|
"Kissin U" is a song by American recording artist Miranda Cosgrove from her debut studio album, Sparks Fly. Cosgrove co-wrote the song with Claude Kelly and Dr. Luke; the latter also co-produced it with Ammo. The album's only single, it was released on 7" vinyl and Cassette tape format on March 22, 2010, and to mainstream radio on May 11, 2010. The single was later released in Australia in early July. The single is Cosgrove's first official musical release, after making several soundtrack appearances for some of her shows and films, such as iCarly and the 2009 animated comedy film, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. It also made an appearance on the 2010 compilation album Now That's What I Call Music! 35
The song has been praised by music critics, and has performed well on music charts, becoming Cosgrove's biggest hit to date. It is her first single to make an impact on U.S. radio stations, where it even entered the top twenty of the U.S. Pop Songs chart, which focuses mainly on radio airplay in the United States. Aside from its success on US radio stations, the single also became a major digital download hit for Cosgrove, leading it to chart on Billboard's Hot 100 singles chart. It has also charted in several international music charts, including Germany and Austria, among others.
"Kissin U" was first announced in late February as the lead single from Cosgrove's untitled upcoming album. The single was previewed on Ryan Seacreast's radio show, On Air with Ryan Seacrest on March 12, 2010, with the song being released on 7" vinyl and Cassette tape format on March 22, 2010. During an interview with MTV about the song, Cosgrove stated that
|“||[...] "The song's about your first love or thinking you're falling in love, so it's just kind of a really happy, sweet song. I did write it about a guy, and I'm afraid he might have heard it and he's going to figure it out!"||”|
During the same interview, Cosgrove stated the song actually provided her with the inspiration to title her debut album Sparks Fly, saying that "The reason I ended up naming it Sparks Fly [is because] those are the first two words you hear when you pop my album in." The single was released for official radio airplay on May 11, 2010, while Australia saw the release of the single on July 9, 2010. On June 29, 2010 a remix EP containing three remixes of the song was released for digital download. The first track on the extended play, the Jason Nevins remix of the song, was released to several US radio stations in the place of the original version.
The lyrics of the song deal with love and relationships, and the feeling that comes when Cosgrove is kissing her boyfriend. During their review of the single, commonsensemedia stated on the song's lyrics, "Young love can be innocent, sweet, and irrepressible. It can also be incredibly annoying when taken to a super-sweet extreme. That's where we're at with this single. Lovebirds not jaded by love's letdowns can celebrate the purely poppy sounds and Cosgrove's limitless enthusiasm here. The rest of us will be left with a headache from constant eye rolling. After one listen you'll forever understand the meaning of 'bubblegum pop.'"
On the other hand, portraitmagazine praised the song's lyrical content as well as the music, saying, "Kissin U was the first single from the album, and it really isn't that bad. It's very bubblegum, but that isn't really all that surprising given Miranda's good girl image and Nickelodeon backing. It's also the only track on the album that she had a hand in writing, so it was a good decision for a single. It allows the record label to see how her fans respond to her music, gauge whether or not they should have more of her own writing on her next album. And it's a good effort for her first released song, though I think it's got some of the weakest vocals on the CD. She'll probably do a lot of cowriting with much more experienced musicians the next time around, which will help her grow as a singer/songwriter if she chooses to continue pursuing music."
J!-ENT reviewed the song, stating the song is "well-produced, well-sung and has that sing/song style similar to Taylor Swift but with a rock edge." They also stated the song proves that Cosgrove has potential as a musical artist. Idolator.com also praised the song, as well as compared it to releases by major label artist Kesha, saying "[Kissin' U] is a zippy if cookie-cutter pop song — not terribly exciting or risky, but with enough listens you’ll find yourself singing along with the chorus. Add some Auto-Tune and maybe throw in a line or two about falling out of the closet without wearing pants, and we could imagine Ke$ha singing it." Popboi.com compared the single to a recent release by Selena Gomez & the Scene, Naturally, stating "The first single, ‘Kissin U’ is actually quite a nice pop track, too! It’s not as perfect a pop gem as Selena Gomez and the Scene’s ‘Naturally’ is, but it’s pretty damn close. The melody is really lovely and catchy and the lyrics are just as cute, if tweeny-bopper in nature."
Musicrevies10 had a less than positive opinion about the songs lyrics and music, stating that "Cosgrove's debut single outside of iCarly and the Nickelodeon machine is Kissin' U, a safe, pop number that's easy on the ears. While Cosgrove is fitting into the pop/rock vibe, if a young pop/rock number is what you want, Disney's Demi Lovato has far more substance.. and range. Kissin' U plays it safe, and should go on to be a moderate hit, but doesn't break any new ground. But at least it works."
The song ranked number eighty-eight on Bill Lamb's List of Top 100 Songs of 2010.
On its first week of charting, "Kissin U" debuted at number sixty-six on the U.S. Billboard Hot Digital Songs chart. It fell off the next week, but later re-entered at number fifty-four. The song was also a top twenty hit at the U.S. Billboard Pop Songs chart, and was a moderate success on radio.
The song also became her first to chart internationally, debuting at number eighty-two on the German Singles Chart. The song quickly dwindled down the chart before jumping to a new peak of number seventy-three, and most recently to its current peak of number sixty-seven. It also debuted at number fifty-seven on the Austrian singles chart, and has risen to a peak of number fifty-four. The single has also become her second single to chart in the UK, where it debuted and peaked at number 198.
Promotion & performances
To promote the album, Cosgrove performed the single "Kissin U" live at the Kids Choice Awards pre-show. Nickelodeon also aired a television special titled 7 Secrets: Miranda Cosgrove, which aired on April 24, 2010. The half-hour show revealed things about Cosgrove, such as how she got her start in the business, to some of her most embarrassing moments. The days following the album's release, Cosgrove did several album signings and appearances, including a stop at a Toys-R-Us in New York City. Cosgrove embarked on a radio promotional tour, and has made appearances at radio concerts in the summer of 2010. On September 6, 2010, she performed "Kissin U", "BAM" (written and produced by Rock Mafia and Darkchild), and "About You Now" (a cover, co-written by Cathy Dennis with Dr. Luke who produced the song and was originally recorded by the Sugababes and released as a single on their fifth studio album Change) on The Today Show.
Cosgrove headlined her own tour, titled "Dancing Crazy Tour" which is named after Cosgrove's new single "Dancing Crazy" co-written by Avril Lavigne, and Shellback and Max Martin, who produced it and was released on Cosgrove's second EP High Maintenance, released on March 15, 2011. The tour began January 24, 2011 and ended February 24, 2011. The tour featured dates in House of Blues locations such as ones located in Houston, TX and Anaheim, CA. She also performed at several theatres on the tour including locations in cities such as Atlanta, GA, Tampa, FL and Orlando, FL.
The music video was shot in Santa Monica, California and debuted on March 19, 2010. It was directed by Alan Ferguson. The video shows Cosgrove on the beach singing and walking, to meet her love interest who is a sidewalk artist. They go to his house and she sees all the paintings he has painted, as well as trying to teach her how to draw, and later washing his car in front of her house, she splashes him with the hose and he chases her around the car. Later they are seen at a party where it seems they kiss. When she wakes up that morning she looks out the window to see a drawing of a butterfly with images of her and him in the wings on the sidewalk.
- Digital download
- Kissin' U (Single Version) 3:18
- German iTunes 2 Track Single / German CD Single
- Kissin U (Album Version) 3:19
- Kissin U (Mike Rizzo Extended Club Remix) 5:56
- Remix EP
- Kissin' U (Jason Nevins Radio Remix) 3:11
- Kissin' U (Mike Rizzo Radio Remix) 3:08
- Kissin' U (Smash Mode Radio Remix) 3:22
- Yogi Bear Soundtrack
- Kissin' U (Yogi Bear remix) 3:20
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 75)||51|
|Germany (Media Control AG)||67|
|US Billboard Hot 100||54|
|US Pop Songs (Billboard)||19|
|US Adult Pop Songs (Billboard)||36|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- Digital download Track listing
- "Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!". FMQB. Archived from the original on 2017-02-16. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- "Twitter / Miranda Cosgrove: I just found out that my single "Kissin U" comes out on iTunes March 23rd!!!". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2010-08-01.
- "Actress/singer Miranda Cosgrove comes clean to her 'Kissin U' muse". Chicago Tribune. February 4, 2010.
- Vena, Jocelyn (2010-04-27). "Miranda Cosgrove Hopes Sparks Fly On Debut Album - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- "Download: Miranda Cosgrove – Kissin' U Remix EP | New Music Reviews, Music News, Music Videos, Lyrics and much more!". Newmusicreviews.net. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- "Kissin U - EP by Miranda Cosgrove - Download Kissin U - EP on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. 2010-06-29. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- "Kissin U song lyrics performed by Miranda Cosgrove". Lyricshall.com. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- "Miranda Cosgrove - Kissin' U Lyrics and Video". Musicloversgroup.com. 2010-03-16. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- "Miranda Cosgrove - Kissin' U Lyrics". Sweetslyrics.com. 2010-03-21. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- ""Kissin U" (CD single) by Miranda Cosgrove - Music Review". Commonsensemedia.org. 2010-02-04. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- "Miranda Cosgrove: Sparks Fly Reviews - Portrait Reviews". Portraitmagazine.net. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- "Miranda Cosgrove – Kissin U (a J!-ENT World Groove Digital Single Review) | J!-ENT entertainment news pop culture TV music DVD Blu-ray reviews fashion celebrity USA Asia UK". Nt2099.com. 2010-03-26. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- Reynato (2010-05-18). "Miranda Cosgrove Is "Kissin' U" In Her Newest Single | Music News, Reviews, and Gossip on". Idolator.com. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- "Miranda Cosgrove: 'Kissin U' « Pop Boi". Popboi.com. 2010-05-20. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- "Music Reviews 10". Musicreviews10.blogspot.com. 2010-05-03. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- Lamb, Bill Top 100 Songs of 2010. About.com. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- [dead link]
- "RIAA Gold & Platinum". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved January 14, 2011.
- "Episode Clip | Nick Videos". Nick.com. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20101231180143/http://www.mmm-mag.com/2010/04/7-secrets-with-miranda-cosgrov.html. Archived from the original on December 31, 2010. Retrieved February 10, 2011. Missing or empty
- "Miranda Cosgrove Makes 'Sparks Fly' At New York Album Signing – Neon Limelight - Exclusive Music News, Artist Interviews, Reviews, Photos!". Neonlimelight.com. 2010-04-28. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- "Miranda Cosgrove – Dancing Crazy Tour | NeuFutur Magazine". Neufutur.com. 2011-01-07. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- Mag, Teen (2011-01-11). "Miranda Cosgrove Dancing Crazy - Miranda Cosgrove Tour Dates". Seventeen. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- "Miranda Cosgrove in Verizon Theatre (Grand Prairie, Texas) | Evenementen op Myspace". Myspace.com. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- Admin . "Post Topic » Miranda Cosgrove: Kissin U Music Video & More iCarly". Shine On Media. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- "Miranda Cosgrove "Kissin' U" Music Video | Nickelodeon News". Nickutopia.com. 2010-03-20. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- Maricel Diola. "Miranda Cosgrove - Kissing You Music Video". Kovideo.net. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- "Kissin' U - Single von Miranda Cosgrove - Kissin' U - Single bei iTunes laden". Itunes.apple.com. 2010-05-28. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- Digital download Track listing
- Steffen Hung. "Miranda Cosgrove - Kissin U". austriancharts.at. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- musicline.de / PhonoNet GmbH. "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche". musicline.de. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- "Gold & Platinum - RIAA". Recording Industry Association of America. 14 January 2011. Retrieved 24 April 2017.