This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Kit Laybourne is a TV producer and educator. Laybourne was an executive producer of animation, documentary and interactive shows at Oxygen Network a company co-founded by his wife Geraldine and Oprah Winfrey. His major production credits include Eureeka's Castle and Gullah Gullah Island for Nickelodeon, Liquid Television for MTV, Braingames for HBO, and Media Probes for PBS. Most recently, he became Chief Creative Officer for The Whistle, a media company focusing on sports for kids.
For a dozen years, Kit and partner Eli Noyes ran an independent animation & branding studio in TriBeCa, Noyes & Laybourne. Most of its major works included ID's for MTV and Nickelodeon, shorts for the Children's Television Workshop, and shows for Scholastic and Nick Junior.
Kit was a Core Faculty Member in the MA program in Media Studies at the New School, where he taught both early and late in his career. He created on-going courses about Media Design and The Producer's Craft.
- Laybourne, Kit (1979). The Animation Book : A Complete Guide to Animated Filmmaking--From Flip-Books to Sound Cartoons. New York: Three Rivers Press. ISBN 9780517533895 The book was originally published in 1979, but upon further research into digital animation techniques, a new edition was released in 1998.
- Kit's most recent book is "Mediapedia", published in 2009 by Globe Pequot Press.
He serves on the board of trustees of Trinity College School in Port Hope Ontario. He served on the board of James Balog's Earth Vision Trust and Bank Street College of Education. He currently teaches a Digital Design course at Woodbourne Correctional Facility, through The Bard College Prison Initiative. Kit's community service has included Board positions with Earth Vision Trust and The Bank Street College of Education. He was on an Education Advisory Group with the Cooper-Hewett Museum and has been an Advisor to The Opportunity Agenda, an organization building the national will to expand opportunity in America. Kit and his wife, Geraldine Laybourne, are long time supporters of the Bard High School & Early College program in Newark, Queens and Manhattan.
- "Kit Laybourne". IMDb. Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- Marketing to Young Fans on Their Technology Level, New York Times, Jan. 31, 2012
- The Animation Book: A Complete Guide to Animated Filmmaking--From Flip-Books to Sound Cartoons to 3- D Animation (Rev Sub ed.). Three Rivers Press. 1998-11-01. ISBN 9780517886021.
- "Summary/Reviews: The animation book :". www.buffalolib.org. Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- Laybourne, Kit (2008-11-18). Mediapedia: Creative Tools and Techniques for Camera, Computer, and Beyond. Rowman & Littlefield. ISBN 9781599217208.