Kitcharao, Agusan del Norte
Lake Mainit, part of Municipality of Kitcharao.
Map of Agusan del Norte with Kitcharao highlighted
|Region||Caraga (Region XIII)|
|Province||Agusan del Norte|
|District||2nd district of Agusan del Norte|
|Founded||August 29, 1963|
|• Mayor||Aristotle E. Montante|
|• Total||171.92 km2 (66.38 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||110/km2 (280/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Dialing code||+63 (0)85|
- San Isidro
- San Roque
The Municipality of Kitcharao was created under Republic Act No. 3842, sponsored by Congressman Guillermo R. Sánchez. It was once a barrio of Jabonga. Through the initiative of the then Vice Mayor Francisco M. Tuozo of Jabonga, a resolution was sponsored petitioning Congress for the creation of the Municipality of Kitcharao.
The inhabitants of the municipality came from various regions in Luzon and the Visayas, hence the presence of Ilocanos, Tagalogs, Leyteños, Ilongos, Warays, Cebuanos, Boholanos, and a few indigenous groups known as the Mamanwa.
On August 29, 1963, the first Municipal Officials were inducted to the office by then Governor Democrito O. Plaza. Félix Q. Basadre, Sr. was the appointed Mayor, Marceliano Morada as Vice Mayor and all the councillors were: Mariano M. Napalan, Sr., Gaudencio Pojas, Pencionico Bermúdez, Juan Tidalgo, Agustín Patagan and Uldarico Atuel.
The same set of Municipal Officials was elected in the ensuing regular election on November 1963.
In 2005, Barangays Crossing and Songkoy were created.
|Population census of Kitcharao|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
The population of Kitcharao in the 2015 census was 18,659 people, with a density of 110 inhabitants per square kilometre or 280 inhabitants per square mile.
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "Province: AGUSAN DEL NORTE". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 7 April 2014.
- "CARAGA". Census of Population (2015): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Municipality of Kitcharao (2010-09-13). "History of Kitcharao". Retrieved 2010-09-13.
- National Statistical Coordination Board (2006-02-27). "2006 Factsheet". Retrieved 2006-06-24.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
||Alegria, Surigao del Norte / Gigaquit, Surigao del Norte|
|Lake Mainit||Claver, Surigao del Norte|