El Nabatat Island
El Nabatat Island or Kitchener's Island, (جزيرة النباتات Geziret En Nabatat (Plant Island) or the Botanical Island) is a small, oval-shaped island in the Nile at Aswan, Egypt. It is less than a kilometer long and its width is less than ½ a kilometer. The Aswan Botanical Garden is located on the island.
El Nabatat Island is one of two major islands on the Nile in vicinity of Aswan, the other one being Elephantine. Elephantine is the larger one, and is located between El Nabatat Island and the city of Aswan (east bank). Therefore, it can be hard to see the smaller El Nabatat Island from Aswan: "Aswan disappears behind Elephantine Island".
With the aid of the Ministry of Irrigation, Kitchener rapidly transformed the small 750 metres (2,460 ft) long island into a paradise of exotic trees, many from India, and plants in gardens with view walkways. It later passed into the property of the Egyptian government and was used as a research station called the Botanical Research Institute, Aswân Botanic Island.
Aswan Botanical Garden
The island, as a whole, constitutes the Aswan Botanical Garden. One can view the many types of subtropical, exotic, and rare plantings and trees such as the Royal Palm tree and the Sabal Palm tree. The collection was begun by Lord Kitchener and cared for since. The gardens are particularly popular among the local people and tourists as a park for a quiet afternoon away from the noise of the city and weekend picnics. The island and gardens can be reached by felucca that reach the Southeastern side of the small island.
- State Information Service of Egypt - Elnabatat's Island Archived 2015-01-23 at the Wayback Machine.
- aswan.gov.eg - جزيرة النباتات Archived 2015-01-23 at the Wayback Machine.
- Berrett, LaMar C.; Ogden, D. Kelly (1996). Discovering the World of the Bible (3rd ed.). Grandin Book Company. p. 308. ISBN 0-910523-52-5.
- Mann, Joel F. (2005). An International Glossary of Place Name Elements. Scarecrow Press. p. 112. ISBN 9780810850408. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
- Cowie, Robert (2014). Journey to a Waterfall A Biologist in Africa. Lulu.com. p. 239. ISBN 9781304669391. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
- Haag, Michael (2004). Egypt. New Holland Publishers. p. 334. ISBN 9781860111631. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
- Jani, Vibhavari (June 23, 2011). Diversity in Design: Perspectives from the Non-Western World. A&C Black. p. 286. ISBN 9781563677557. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
- Ham, Anthony (2009). Middle East. Lonely Plane. p. 168. ISBN 9781742203591. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
- "Botanical Gardens in Egypt" (PDF). Convention on Biological Diversity. Archived (PDF) from the original on 19 November 2016. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
- "The botanical garden of Aswan (Kitchener's Island)". Ask-Aladdin. Archived from the original on 18 November 2016. Retrieved 18 November 2016.