Location of Kitee in Finland
|Sub-region||Central Karelia sub-region|
|• Town manager||Kirsi Hämäläinen|
|• Total||1,141.31 km2 (440.66 sq mi)|
|• Land||865.70 km2 (334.25 sq mi)|
|• Water||275.61 km2 (106.41 sq mi)|
|Area rank||99th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||115th largest in Finland|
|• Density||12.66/km2 (32.8/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||97.6% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||13.8%|
|• 15 to 64||64.3%|
|• 65 or older||21.9%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||21.25%|
It is located in the province of Eastern Finland and is part of the North Karelia region. The municipality has a population of 10,962 (30 June 2015) and covers an area of 1,141.31 square kilometres (440.66 sq mi) of which 275.61 km2 (106.41 sq mi) is water. The population density is 12.66 inhabitants per square kilometre (32.8/sq mi).
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Songwriter/keyboardist Tuomas Holopainen, guitarist Emppu Vuorinen, drummer Jukka Nevalainen, former bassist Sami Vänskä and former vocalist Tarja Turunen of the symphonic metal band Nightwish are from Kitee.
Kitee is also known as the ''moonshine city of Finland'' due to its legal and illegal moonshine manufacturing history.
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 30.06.2015" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Kitee at Wikimedia Commons
- Town of Kitee – Official website
|This Eastern Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|