|Born||September 24, 1974|
|Listed height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Listed weight||183 lb (83 kg)|
|High school||Westinghouse (Chicago, Illinois)|
|NBA draft||1997 / Undrafted|
|1997||Grand Rapids Hoops|
|1999||Grand Rapids Hoops|
|2000||Grand Rapids Hoops|
|2000||Trotamundos de Carabobo|
|2001||New Mexico Slam|
|2001||ALM Évreux Basket|
|2001–2002||Nova Virtus Ragusa|
|2002||Spójnia Stargard Szczeciński|
|2002–2003||Robur Basket Osimo|
|2007–2009||Sutor Basket Montegranaro|
|2009–2010||Reyer Venezia Mestre|
Garris played college basketball at the University of Illinois, where his position was point guard. As a freshman in the 1993-94 season, Garris finished second on the Fighting Illini in scoring, behind Deon Thomas. In the next three seasons, Garris led the team lead in scoring and free-throw percentage. Garris also led the team in assists in the 1994–95 and 1996-97 seasons. Garris finished his career at Illinois as the second all-time leading scorer, behind former teammate Deon Thomas. Garris finished with 1948 career points, with a career scoring average of 16.8 points per game.
Although Garris was projected to be a late first round or early second round pick in the NBA Draft, he went undrafted, but signed as a free-agent with the Denver Nuggets. He had been signed for a brief period by Los Angeles Clippers during their 1997 preseason but was waived. For the 1997-1998's 28 games he did 8MPG, 2.4 PPG. Playing for the Orlando Magic during 1999-2000, 3 games, 7.7 MPG, 1.3 PPG. In 2002, he was signed by the Sacramento Kings (2002 preseason), but was again waived before the regular season. He has also played with the Grand Rapids Hoops of the CBA and for Alba Berlin in Germany.
For nine years he played overseas for the Italian teams Banca Popolare Ragusa (Serie A2, 2001–2002), Porte Garofoli Osimo (Serie A2, 2002–2003), Bipop-Carire Reggio Emilia (Serie A2, 2003–2004, Serie A, 2004–2005), Climamio Bologna (2005–2006) (reached the Italian championship final and won Italian Supercup) and Armani Jeans Milano (2006–2007). After playing overseas in Italy for nine years from 2001–2010, Garris returned home.
He is a former assistant coach at Prairie State College and at Mountain View High School in Lawrenceville, GA. He hopes to become one of the assistant coaches at the University of Illinois. Currently he is the coach of the Fulton Science Academy Private School varsity basketball team.
Garris has son Kai from a previous relationship.
In July 2006 he became engaged to R&B and soul singer-songwriter Syleena Johnson. Johnson is a fellow Chicagoan. On August 1, 2007 after forty-four hours of labor, their son Kiwane Garris Jr was born. The marriage was doubted to last as Garris was playing for Premiata Montegranaro of the Italian Basketball League, while Johnson remained in Illinois. On Sunday, February 6, 2011 she gave birth to their second son, Kingston Garris He weighed 8 lb 5oz.
He said Italy is "his home away from home".
- ESPN player profile
- 1998 USA Basketball Archived 2007-09-30 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Alba Berlin club history". Albaberlin.de. Archived from the original on 2012-07-15.
- http://prairiestate.edu/athletics/mbasketball/coach.html#kiwane Asst Coach Kiwane Garris
- http://www.linkedin.com/pub/kiwane-garris/22/266/548 Kiwane Garris
- "Talking with Kiwane Garris; he played in Italy for ten years". Basketinside.com.
- "Instagram post by Kiwane Garris • Nov 9, 2017 at 12:50am UTC". Instagram. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- http://www.blackcelebkids.com/2008/08/19/syleena-johnsons-labor-pains/ Kiwane Garris Jr
- http://ghettofabu.blogspot.com/2006/07/syleena-johnson-engagedboris-kodjoe.html Syleena Johnson Engaged..Nicole Ari/Boris Kodjoe pregnant again
- Johnson gives birth after 44 hours of labour to first son[permanent dead link]
- https://twitter.com/Syleena_Johnson/status/34398261884227584 Kingston Is Here
- https://www.instagram.com/p/BQK63wVF4UW 6 Years Ago today 6 years ago today, on Super Bowl Sunday I gave birth to this little monster! 13 hours of pushing to result in an emergency C-section. He just didn't wanna come out! That same attachment he had to me I have to him and always will! Happy birthday my Kingston ! Mommy loves you forever
- https://twitter.com/Syleena_Johnson/status/34370671597326336 Kingston Weighed...