Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen
Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen
Khristiansen in 2018
|Born||27 December 1947|
|Known for||former CEO and deputy chairman of The LEGO Group|
|Net worth||US$5.4 billion (September 2018)|
|Title||CEO The Lego Group|
|Predecessor||Godtfred Kirk Christiansen|
|Successor||Jørgen Vig Knudstorp|
|Children||3, including Agnete Kirk Thinggaard|
|Parent(s)||Godtfred Kirk Christiansen|
Edith Kirk Christiansen
|Relatives||Ole Kirk Christiansen (grandfather)|
Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen (Danish pronunciation: [ˈkɛlˀ ˈkiɐ̯ɡ kʁæˈsdjæːˀnsn̩]; born 27 December 1947) is the former president and CEO of The Lego Group (1979–2004). According to Forbes, Kristiansen is the 3rd richest Dane with a net worth of $5.4 billion, as of September 2018.
Kristiansen was born 27 December 1947 in Billund, Denmark. His father, Godtfred Kirk Christiansen worked with his grandfather, Ole Kirk Christiansen, in the family business: Lego. As a child, he often inspired and tested new model concepts and their building instructions. He also appeared on many of the company's packages and marketing materials. In 1979, he became president and CEO of The Lego Group. Kjeld introduced themes, minifigures, LEGO.com, Lego Mindstorms and licensed properties. In 2004, he stepped down as president and CEO to focus on his role as owner of the Lego Group and vice-chairman of the board, while maintaining his role as chairman of the board of KIRKBI A/S, Lego Holding A/S and the Lego Foundation. Lego is privately held and is controlled by the Kristiansen family and their foundations.
He has received many awards in his professional career.
- Knight 1st Class (Officer) of Denmark's Dannebrog Order
- 1996: The Freedom Prize from the Max Schmidheiny Foundation, Switzerland
- 1996: Distinguished Family Business Award from the International Institute for Management Development (IMD), Switzerland
- Moran (Peony) insignia of the Order of Civil Merit from the Korean government
- Founder's Award from Dean Kamen
- 2008: he was inducted in the National Toy Hall of Fame. The Toy Hall of Fame was established in 1984 to recognize those people who have contributed most significantly to the toy industry. Past inductees include Ole Kirk Christiansen, Kjeld's grandfather and Lego founder, inducted in 1989.
- The World's Billionaires - Denmark. Forbes.com. Last looked at on September 12th, 2018.
- "Meet The Richest Billionaire In Every Country". Forbes. Retrieved 2015-12-15.
- "LEGO Legend Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen to be Inducted into the Toy Hall of Fame". What's the Buzz. Toy Industry Association. 2008-02-11. Archived from the original on 2008-02-29. Retrieved 2008-03-01.
- Agnete Kirk Thinggaard, V.I.P.EDIA – seoghoer.dk
- "Freedom Prize Awardees". Max Schmidheiny Foundation. Retrieved 2008-03-01.
- Moeller, Lise. "Laureates of the last decade". Institute for Managers and Development. Retrieved 2008-03-01.
- "Toy Industry Hall of Fame". Toy Industry Association, Inc. Retrieved 2008-03-01.