Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen
|Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen|
|3rd Leader of The Lego Group|
|Preceded by||Godtfred Kirk Christiansen|
|Succeeded by||Jørgen Vig Knudstorp|
27 December 1947 |
|Known for||Having been CEO and being Deputy Chairman of The LEGO Group.|
Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen (Danish pronunciation: [ˈkʰɛlˀ ˈkʰiɐ̯ɡ̊ kʰʁæˈsd̥jæːˀnsn̩]; born 27 December 1947) is the former president and CEO of The Lego Group (1979–2004). According to Forbes, Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen is the richest Dane with a net worth of $9.7 billion as of December 2015.
Kjeld was born 27 December 1947 in Billund, Denmark. His father, Godtfred Kirk Christiansen worked with his grandfather, Ole Kirk Christiansen, in the family business: Lego. As a child, he often inspired and tested new model concepts and their building instructions. He also appeared on many of the company's packages and marketing materials. In 1979, he became president and CEO of The Lego Group. Kjeld introduced themes, minifigures, LEGO.com, Lego Mindstorms and licensed properties. In 2004, he stepped down as president and CEO to focus on his role as owner of the Lego Group and vice-chairman of the board, while maintaining his role as chairman of the board of KIRKBI A/S, Lego Holding A/S and the Lego Foundation. Lego is privately held and is controlled by the Kristiansen family and their foundations. Kjeld and his wife, Camilla, live in Denmark and have three children and two grandchildren.
He has received many awards in his professional career.
- Knight of Denmark's Dannebrog Order
- 1996: The Freedom Prize from the Max Schmidheiny Foundation, Switzerland
- 1996: Distinguished Family Business Award from the International Institute for Management and Development (IMD), Switzerland
- Moran (Peony) insignia of the Order of Civil Merit from the Korean government
- Founder's Award from Dean Kamen
- 2008: he was inducted in the Toy Hall of Fame. The Toy Hall of Fame was established in 1984 to recognize those people who have contributed most significantly to the toy industry. Past inductees include Ole Kirk Christiansen, Kjeld's grandfather and Lego founder, inducted in 1989.
- "Meet The Richest Billionaire In Every Country". Forbes. Retrieved 2015-12-15.
- "LEGO Legend Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen to be Inducted into the Toy Hall of Fame". What's the Buzz. Toy Industry Association, Inc. 2008-02-11. Retrieved 2008-03-01.
- "Freedom Prize Awardees". Max Schmidheiny Foundation. Retrieved 2008-03-01.
- Moeller, Lise. "Laureates of the last decade". Institute for Managers and Development. Retrieved 2008-03-01.
- "Toy Industry Hall of Fame". Toy Industry Association, Inc. Retrieved 2008-03-01.